Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This Week's Hot List is Live!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Who'd have thought we'd ever see Vick on any Hot list again? Unreal. What, do people think it'll go up again? I don't get it.

And although I didn't have much of his Dietyness, it's still sad to see his PSA 10s go that low. :(

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Matt LaPorta = Classic example of a player hyped only by people on message boards, any scout could tell you LaPorta wouldn't hit higher level pitching, but it's just so fun to look at the those High-A and AA stats and fall in love right guys. Good ole Metal Bat Matt, maybe he'll finish his career with 100+ MLB HRs but I doubt it. Of course these same people that overhyped LaPorta are now saying Mike Moustakas is the greatest baseball player in the minors........ :lol:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Matt LaPorta = Classic example of a player hyped only by people on message boards, any scout could tell you LaPorta wouldn't hit higher level pitching, but it's just so fun to look at the those High-A and AA stats and fall in love right guys. Good ole Metal Bat Matt, maybe he'll finish his career with 100+ MLB HRs but I doubt it. Of course these same people that overhyped LaPorta are now saying Mike Moustakas is the greatest baseball player in the minors........ :lol:

scouts never said that about Matt Laporta

scouts love Mike Moustakas too

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Joshua.Roundtree said:
I completely agree with everything about Matt LaPorta. Of course, the thing that shocked me more than anything was that Milwaukee allowed message board quarterbacks to draft him #7 overall. It was crazy. No paid baseball scouts thought he would be anything more than a AAAA player at best so for Milwauke to not only allow the ridiculous pick, but then to pay him that kind of money for a signing bonus was truly insane. Seriously, $2 million for a guy that nobody talked about as a top draft pick leading into the 2007 draft is nuts.

And I also agree with Moustakas, if message board nerds weren't riding his jock, there's no way he would have led the minors in HR, 2nd and RBI while hitting an over-hyped .322 this season.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
I completely agree with everything about Matt LaPorta. Of course, the thing that shocked me more than anything was that Milwaukee allowed message board quarterbacks to draft him #7 overall. It was crazy. No paid baseball scouts thought he would be anything more than a AAAA player at best so for Milwauke to not only allow the ridiculous pick, but then to pay him that kind of money for a signing bonus was truly insane. Seriously, $2 million for a guy that nobody talked about as a top draft pick leading into the 2007 draft is nuts.

He's one of my favorite people, but if Laporta was drafted the Brewers were going to take Hunter Morris. They ended up getting him four rounds later this year. So guess it worked out somewhat, and they got CC out of it for a bit.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Sorry about the blue font...got that fixed.

leatherman said:
Jaypers said:
Interesting timing on Maybin, considering what just sold.

With Maybin and Laporta on the cold list, I'm taking it personally.

Had Volstad been on there too, I'd be running to Kansas with a can of whoop ass.

:)

Part of me wanted to include Volstad....

Reds in 2009 said:
Were those 5 Matt LaPorta chromes or base?

Chromes

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

And I also agree with Moustakas, if message board nerds weren't riding his jock, there's no way he would have led the minors in HR, 2nd and RBI while hitting an over-hyped .322 this season.

Seems like Baseball America thought he was the 20th best player in the country. Not exactly AAAA type player.

20. Matt LaPorta, 1b
School: Florida. Class: Sr.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 215. Birthdate: 1/1/85.
Scouting Report: LaPorta led the nation in home runs as a sophomore in 2005, slugging 26 to set a school record. His power binge continued during that summer, when he anchored the heart of the order for Team USA's college national squad. His junior season was another story. He strained an oblique muscle in February, missed 13 games and never got untracked. The Red Sox drafted him in the 14th round last June, but he stuck to his bonus demands, reportedly $1 million, and returned to Gainesville for his senior season, with outstanding results. His .579 on-base percentage led the nation, as did his 1.432 on-base plus slugging. He has improved his approach and kept his hands inside the ball better this year, making better contact, and his plus-plus raw power remains a game-changing tool. When he gets his arms extended, he can launch balls out to all parts of the park. He's a below-average defensive player who is relegated to first base as a professional, but could be taken in the top half of the first round this year nonetheless. His adviser is Scott Boras, which can always be a factor in where a player goes.

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB
.423 156 57 66 10 0 19 49 2

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

Seems like Baseball America thought he was the 20th best player in the country. Not exactly AAAA type player.

20. Matt LaPorta, 1b
Scouting Report: LaPorta led the nation in home runs as a sophomore in 2005, slugging 26 to set a school record. His power binge continued during that summer, when he anchored the heart of the order for Team USA's college national squad. His junior season was another story. He strained an oblique muscle in February, missed 13 games and never got untracked. The Red Sox drafted him in the 14th round last June, but he stuck to his bonus demands, reportedly $1 million, and returned to Gainesville for his senior season, with outstanding results. His .579 on-base percentage led the nation, as did his 1.432 on-base plus slugging. He has improved his approach and kept his hands inside the ball better this year, making better contact, and his plus-plus raw power remains a game-changing tool. When he gets his arms extended, he can launch balls out to all parts of the park. He's a below-average defensive player who is relegated to first base as a professional, but could be taken in the top half of the first round this year nonetheless. His adviser is Scott Boras, which can always be a factor in where a player goes.

They also ranked him as the 3rd best power hitter and the 2nd best strike zone judgement for college hitters, sounds like a good combo.

But you're right, no scouts liked him.

BEST POWER HITTER
College
1 Kyle Russell, of, Texas (35)
2 Beau Mills, 3b/1b, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (12)
3 Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida (20)

BEST STRIKE-ZONE JUDGMENT
College
1 Josh Horton, ss, North Carolina (64)
2 Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida (20)
3 Matt Wieters, c, Georgia Tech (2)

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Mudcatsfan said:
Mudcatsfan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

20. Matt LaPorta, 1b

They also ranked him as the 3rd best power hitter and the 2nd best strike zone judgement for college hitters, sounds like a good combo.

But you're right, no scouts liked him.

BEST POWER HITTER
College
1 Kyle Russell, of, Texas (35)
2 Beau Mills, 3b/1b, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (12)
3 Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida (20)

BEST STRIKE-ZONE JUDGMENT
College
1 Josh Horton, ss, North Carolina (64)
2 Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida (20)
3 Matt Wieters, c, Georgia Tech (2)

So BA is always right?? :lol: He was also a college Senior in 2007. Where was he drafted after his junior year (I think 14th round or something)? . You guys act like that site is the end all be all of minor league baseball, when all you get are those authors' opinions. They might have more access to certain area scouts, but they don't know any more about the future of half of these players than we do. Continue to read their print and believe it all, but its like reading any other site on the internet, its NOT fact, its opinion. It the people on THESE boards that made Matt LaPorta into GOD, literally, all you guys started to believe your own hype. And that is NOT opinion, that is FACT.

Members online

Latest posts