Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another black eye for the Hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
New allegation but Mastro being a thief is old news. O'Keeffe is the author of 'The Card' and writes fairly regular memorabilia and card articles for NY Daily News.

Jul 30, 2009
I have read, and own, the book.

I also know about Mastro but what bothered me the most is that this news has reached a mega big non hobby media.

In other words, thousands and thousands of people who have no clue about the hobby now think its only run by crooks and scam artists.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
SamHell said:
New allegation but Mastro being a thief is old news. O'Keeffe is the author of 'The Card' and writes fairly regular memorabilia and card articles for NY Daily News.

Nothing more to say really. Nail on head sir.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:

I also know about Mastro but what bothered me the most is that this news has reached a mega big non hobby media.

In other words, thousands and thousands of people who have no clue about the hobby now think its only run by crooks and scam artists.

It is man. It really is. I know that may sound redonkulous but its not. For every 1 good dealer in the hobby 10 a-holes exist. That is just the way it is. And unlike most multi-million(billion?) dollar industries...this stuff didn't start getting very regulated until the last decade or so. Even then not so much. Only here and there. Operation Bullpen and stuff like that is nothing. Crap like that happens everywhere all the time I'd be willing to bet. And as for card doctoring...ha! I would be willing to bet it happens all the damn time and especially on the high dollar vintage. I have met some really great people in this hobby but as for dealers...I haven't met many that wouldn't sell their own mother down the river for a buck. I guess the way they justify it is that if you are dumb enough to be spending money on this stuff as it is...what the hell does it matter?

I love this hobby to death but never, ever in my life since I was older than 8 years of age ,have I even slipped up just a little and felt like it was a safe hobby. I think it can be fun and very entertaining and relaxing but I also know that behind every corner there lurks someone who wishes to scam your ass to the bone. That is just how it is and the minute you forget that it will not only really piss you off it will also make you feel like its not fun anymore. If you can somehow live with that then you are good. In fact...I'd go as far as to say about 90% of the dealers I have purchased from were thinking in their head "Have a nice day *******" as I was leaving. I really do think some people who are dealers feel this way. You can kind of see it creep in.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
How come everything bad that happens in this hobby is a "black eye on the hobby" and not just a black eye on the people who committed the crimes.

Well it really is a black eye for the hobby because it makes people feel like "Why the hell would I ever want to collect cards or memorabilia?". You've got to watch yourself so you don't get burned value wise and don't overspend and then on the other hand if you do choose to go after anything of significance then you have to watch for all the crooks. Most people don't like hobbies that require that much work. I guess you could say they don't like the idea of getting into a hobby that they never really get a good feel for. I got back in and even though I am small fry as far as it goes, I got burned on several things but I remained steadfast because I knew I'd learn what to do and what not to do. You learn who to stay away from and what to avoid. You learn the tricks and the scams and the things to watch for. And to tell the truth...I seriously doubt most people know this going in for the first time.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
011873 said:

This guy has been writing negative articles about sportscards for years. If "thousands and thousands" were unaware before this article, then they are still unaware.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its truly not suprising that this stuff happens whenever significant money becomes a key component in non-regulated activities. I guess some people are naive enough to think otherwise, even if we're talking baseball cards.

As regulation doesn't seem likely to happen, the best we can hope for is to make the hobby as transparent, simple and easy to understand as possible. And why not? We're talking pictures of men on pieces of cardboard.

predatorkj said:
It is man. It really is. I know that may sound redonkulous but its not. For every 1 good dealer in the hobby 10 a-holes exist. That is just the way it is. And unlike most multi-million(billion?) dollar industries...this stuff didn't start getting very regulated until the last decade or so. Even then not so much. Only here and there. Operation Bullpen and stuff like that is nothing. Crap like that happens everywhere all the time I'd be willing to bet. And as for card doctoring...ha! I would be willing to bet it happens all the damn time and especially on the high dollar vintage. I have met some really great people in this hobby but as for dealers...I haven't met many that wouldn't sell their own mother down the river for a buck. I guess the way they justify it is that if you are dumb enough to be spending money on this stuff as it is...what the hell does it matter?

I love this hobby to death but never, ever in my life since I was older than 8 years of age ,have I even slipped up just a little and felt like it was a safe hobby. I think it can be fun and very entertaining and relaxing but I also know that behind every corner there lurks someone who wishes to scam your ass to the bone. That is just how it is and the minute you forget that it will not only really piss you off it will also make you feel like its not fun anymore. If you can somehow live with that then you are good. In fact...I'd go as far as to say about 90% of the dealers I have purchased from were thinking in their head "Have a nice day *******" as I was leaving. I really do think some people who are dealers feel this way. You can kind of see it creep in.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Most of this is Old News, or Expected News to those in PreWar. But its the first time Ive seen Calderon's name mentioned.
Most of the names, even the attorney are well known on Net54.

PS. Wish I had a 1913 T200 Joe Jackson (No such card exists, T200's are all team cards), and how the heck do you reback a T200, these are paper thin very brittle Real Photographs (not printed). Something is screwy just with the last couple paragraph.

1913t200bostonal.jpg

1913 T200

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
011873 said:

NY Daily News ranks 7th in the US.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
fkw said:
how the heck do you reback a T200, these are paper thin very brittle Real Photographs (not printed). Something is screwy just with the last couple paragraph.

My thoughts exactly. When I had my Boston Amer. T200, I never wanted to touch the thing.

Members online

Latest posts