Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

In the next five years, who will win more championships?

In the next five years, who will win more championships?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
It seems like these three teams have kind of separated themselves from the pack this year, so I was wondering which team you thought would be most dominant in the next five years.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
The Rays are slashing payroll, so the only way it will be them is if the win one this year and the Yanks/Phils don't win any.

A Friday night game and the Rays are only able to draw 17,840 people as a contender. PATHETIC

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
BrewerSuperCollector said:
The Rays are slashing payroll, so the only way it will be them is if the win one this year and the Yanks/Phils don't win any.

A Friday night game and the Rays are only able to draw 17,840 people as a contender. PATHETIC

Who do they intend to move other than Crawford? Crawford seems like he could be replaced by Desmond Jennings next year, and with guys like Jeremy Hellickson waiting in the wings, whose to say the Rays won't get better as they get cheaper and younger?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The Rays have had amazing numbers from Rafael Soriano this season...and he'll more than likely be gone. Expect next year's team to look totally different. Not better or worse...just very different.

I'll go with the Phillies.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
soccerman034 said:

Who do they intend to move other than Crawford? Crawford seems like he could be replaced by Desmond Jennings next year, and with guys like Jeremy Hellickson waiting in the wings, whose to say the Rays won't get better as they get cheaper and younger?

I think the Rays championship window closes this year. Carlos Pena will be gone next year. I know he hasn't been that great this year but he's the only real power threat other than Longoria and sometimes Upton. Crawford will be gone. Jennings is a nice prospect but he's not Crawford. Soriano and Wheeler will be gone. My guess is Bartlett is traded in the offseason so the cheaper Brignac can play. The Rays owner is talking about serious payroll cutting, not 5-10 million, he's talking 25 million or so. When you consider all the built in raises for guys like Longoria and Zobrist plus arbitration raises for Upton, Garza and others, they are going to be in bad shape. Yes they have some great pitching in their farm system but no impact bats are even close to being ready. Even if they trade some young pitching for an experienced bat, you still have to pay their salary.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/tampa-bay-rays-principal-owner-stuart-sternberg-payroll-will-fall-no/1123149

Soriano and Pena are most likely gone. To get to 50 million or below they might trade some of their starting pitching that is getting closer to free agency like Garza.

It takes a "perfect storm" for a team to get to the playoffs much less a World Series with payrolls that low.

I wouldn't say it takes a perfect storm. In Tampa's case, I would say it took a decade of being awful, and good drafting/smart financing. Soriano is a loss, as would Pena, but nothing that they can't absorb with their farm system.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Well the facts seem to be the Yankees spend the most going after the best talent, and have a top tier farm system. They are perennial contenders and they have more expierence in post season play than anyone in the last decade.

Going with that, the Yankees seem to be the safe bet.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
matfanofold said:
Well the facts seem to be the Yankees spend the most going after the best talent, and have a top tier farm system. They are perennial contenders and they have more expierence in post season play than anyone in the last decade.

Going with that, the Yankees seem to be the safe bet.

I would say that their farm system is mediocre at best. Aside from Jesus, Stoneburner, and Banuelos, I don't see a ton that I like.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles Dodgers - if the McCourts sell the team as part of their settlement.

New Dodgers owner will have to quickly bring the franchise back to respectability, open up the pocketbook to sign a ton of veteran free agents, and the Dodgers might go on a roll for a few years.

Of the three team in the poll, probably Yankees. I don't know if the Phillies can fundraise enough with the smaller ballpark and probably limited ticket price increase ceiling to keep bringing in the big dollar free agents needed to make good runs at a title each year for the near future.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
sheetskout said:
It's simply not fair. The Yankees have the resources and revenue to replenish where other teams can't.

Luckily $$$$ is not equal to World Championships, as the Yankees proved between 2001-2008 with the largest payroll in baseball most if not all those seasons and missed the playoffs one year and didn't win a title in the others.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
rsmath said:
sheetskout said:
It's simply not fair. The Yankees have the resources and revenue to replenish where other teams can't.

Luckily $$$$ is not equal to World Championships, as the Yankees proved between 2001-2008 with the largest payroll in baseball most if not all those seasons and missed the playoffs one year and didn't win a title in the others.

Who's won more World Series' than any other team? By far....

$$$$$ directly translates into better odds to win a World Series.

Members online

Latest posts