Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The BEST player who will NEVER be a HOF'er...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Qestion is simple really, who do you think is the BEST player that for one reason or another(injury, juice, short career, ect..) will never make the HOF? Personally, I think there is a decent shot at all the juicers of our era making the HOF at some point so I am not even going to consider any of them for this. Also, I really do not know enough about the history of the game to consider someone from the 20's or so. But, and I am probablly biased, I think Dwight Gooden was probablly the most gifted player of the last 40-50 years who will not be in the HOF. Injury, drugs, and drama cut his career severly short in his prime and what was left was a pale comparison of his former self. I know this is all guess work, but I believe if he were to of stayed healthy and off the drugs, we would be looking at a guy with 300+ wins, 4000+ K's and perhaps a sub 3.00 era.

Anyway, my vote goes to Dr. K for the Best, most talented player who will never be a HOF'er.

**there is really no one way to answer this question, so just answer it as to how you see fit.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I also think Doctor-K but I would also pick Andrew Jones. This guy was one of the best center fielders of the decade. Not only that he was on pace for 500-600 homeruns and he just looked like he was on his way to the hall no problem. In not sure what happen to him but he has just gone down hill (despite having an ok year).

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
SamHell said:
Injury - Bo Jackson, Eric Davis
Steroids - Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens

That's the first thing that popped into my mind but I'm not sure he would have continued playing baseball long enough to become a HOF'er.

I'll second Will Clark and Mattingly.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
ronfromfresno said:
Will Clark :(

The most instinctual player I've ever seen. He was always in the right place at the right time and was rarely fooled at the plate. Posey reminds me of Clark a lot.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
I'll go Mark McGwire. I do believe eventually Bonds, Clemens, and ARod will get in, they just accomplished to much not to. McGwire on the other hand deserves it, but probably will not get in. That is a shame.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Maris, Munson, what?

You guys are all wrong.... :)

The Answer is...
The 4th Best Hitter in the History of MLB is not a HOFer................

Who Am I?

One of the games greatest players and people.
A Bay Area Legend.
Started off as a Left Handed Pitcher for the New York Yankees, traded to the Boston Red Sox, then got hurt....
Came back a couple years later as a Hitter and batted... .319, .398, .383, .336, .368 his first 5 years as an everyday player in MLB.
70+ years later Ichiro broke one of his records.
They named a Beer and also a Bridge after him.
He is in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame,...... and the Pacific Coast League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Who Am I?

(If you know your Baseball History at all, you will know this guy right away w/o looking him up.)

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
fkw said:
Maris, Munson, what?

You guys are all wrong.... :)

The Answer is...
The 4th Best Hitter in the History of MLB is not a HOFer................

Who Am I?

One of the games greatest players and people.
A Bay Area Legend.
Started off as a Left Handed Pitcher for the New York Yankees, traded to the Boston Red Sox, then got hurt....
Came back a couple years later as a Hitter and batted... .319, .398, .383, .336, .368 his first 5 years as an everyday player in MLB.
70+ years later Ichiro broke one of his records.
They named a Beer and also a Bridge after him.
He is in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame,...... and the Pacific Coast League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Who Am I?

(If you know your Baseball History at all, you will know this guy right away w/o looking him up.)

Who could forget old Roy Hobbs? :mrgreen:

Members online