Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Incredible generosity from Matt (boomo)! Vintage Cuban!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Matt told me that he would buy this card for me now, knowing that when I get some more money then I can pay him back. I am really grateful for him trusting me to pay him back when I can.

Here's the card..

B219LIwWkKGrHqYOKiIEV7hWnCPBMkDQh24I_12.jpg

Now a little history..

I have only seen 3 of these, this one, one on eBay about a year ago and a member on Net54 has one as well. This is my rarest Greenberg card that I (will) own. This is a 1946-47 Montiel Propagandas, a Cuban set. This card stock is very thin and it is very hard to find these cards in good condition because of their thin paper stock.

Here is a brief write-up about the set.

Old Cardboard write-up

Once again Matt, you're the man, and I really appreciate this gesture. I will certainly come to you in the future if I need anymore help. It's because of people like you that FCB is seriously the best sports card community on the web.

Brian

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Congrats! I just looked the auction up on ebay, the price seems very reasonable for such a rare card. Glad it ended up in your collection!

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
AndruwHRJones said:
Congrats! I just looked the auction up on ebay, the price seems very reasonable for such a rare card. Glad it ended up in your collection!
Thanks man, I would say you are correct on that statement. I'm really glad to add it to my collection. It will be on it's way to SGC when I get the chance to submit it.

Brian

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
glad i could help :)
an odd card it is i must say.
zan, is it a picture or a drawing?
I cant tell, seems way to bizarre to be
a photo.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Awesome addition Brian....it's always fun adding rare cards to the player collection. :)

Do you think you could scan the back?

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
aaron41984 said:
Boomo is a great guy! Sweet pick-up!
Thanks man, he's the best he deserves the recognition

boomo said:
glad i could help :)
an odd card it is i must say.
zan, is it a picture or a drawing?
I cant tell, seems way to bizarre to be
a photo.

Matt, I'm not really familiar where the origin of the player graphic came from, but my guess is that it is a photograph. Thanks again.

Russ S. said:
Matt is top notch for sure! ;)

Great addition Zan. Congrats bud!

Thanks Russ it's a good feeling to finally cross this one off my wanted list.

francisjniskey said:
Very Cool!!

Thanks, although it's not in good condition I'm glad to be adding it.

Anthony K. said:
I agree with both statements here.

Quite the stunning Greenberg collection, Zan.
Thanks man that sure means a lot.

daveyou said:
matty's good people!

dave
Definitely one of the board's finest.

JoshHamilton said:
Wow. That's incredible. Cuban issues are incredibly tough
Thanks, I definitely know what you are talking about. It's good to spread the vintage knowledge here.

scotty21690 said:
Awesome addition Brian....it's always fun adding rare cards to the player collection. :)

Do you think you could scan the back?
The back is beat to hell, there are some spots of paper loss. I'll scan the back when I get the card in hand and post it here.

Brian

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Nice Greenberg! :)

I have owned one but it was a few years ago. I have had dozens of the "Prop Montiel" cards but thinking about it, the Greenberg seems scarcer than the others even though they all are scarce to a degree.

The Musial is a key card now, in last 10 years or so it is now picking up steam as more are looking for this 1946/47 Rookie, his first real "baseball card".

For those that want to learn about these cards here is my description and a few example I have.

1946/47 (Unc.) Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes del Deporte (Cuba)
SCARCE - These 2.1" by 3.1" Cuban cards are made of a thin paper stock, and are usually found pasted in a colorful album. These cards are made of a stock only slight better than newspaper stock, and have a yellow or orange design border, and are frequently found slightly miscut. The set is made up of Boxers, a Tennis Player, Cuban Baseball Stars of the past and present, former Big League Greats, current Big Leaguers, a few Wrestlers, along with players from 5 teams of the Class B Florida International League. These cards like all other cards from Cuba are often found with insect holes and or humidity damage making nice examples tough to find. There are 180 numbered cards in the set with a few variations including one showing a portrait of Gabby Hartnett on a Bill Dickey card (#56).

1946propmontdickeyerror.jpg

Bill Dickey (error) Photo actually Hartnett ( I actually "discovered" this card, or at least was the first to notice the 2 variations, and add it to checklists). The real Dickey card has a Yankee hat and is a bit scarcer.

1946propmontruffing.jpg

1946propmonthubbell.jpg

1946propmontlopez.jpg

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
fkw said:
Nice Greenberg! :)

I have owned one but it was a few years ago. I have had dozens of the "Prop Montiel" cards but thinking about it, the Greenberg seems scarcer than the others even though they all are scarce to a degree.

The Musial is a key card now, in last 10 years or so it is now picking up steam as more are looking for this 1946/47 Rookie, his first real "baseball card".

For those that want to learn about these cards here is my description and a few example I have.

1946/47 (Unc.) Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes del Deporte (Cuba)
SCARCE - These 2.1" by 3.1" Cuban cards are made of a thin paper stock, and are usually found pasted in a colorful album. These cards are made of a stock only slight better than newspaper stock, and have a yellow or orange design border, and are frequently found slightly miscut. The set is made up of Boxers, a Tennis Player, Cuban Baseball Stars of the past and present, former Big League Greats, current Big Leaguers, a few Wrestlers, along with players from 5 teams of the Class B Florida International League. These cards like all other cards from Cuba are often found with insect holes and or humidity damage making nice examples tough to find. There are 180 numbered cards in the set with a few variations including one showing a portrait of Gabby Hartnett on a Bill Dickey card (#56).
Great info Frank! For their appearance being "unattractive", I find them eye appealing. It is also interesting to note that not one of these cards are identical to another one because of miscuts, etc.

Brian

Latest posts