Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scanned cards- all different sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I've been scanning a ton of cards and I'm seeing that the actual size can vary quite a bit. Some are exactly 2.5" x 3.5", while others are measurably larger or smaller. I'm not talking about weird brands, die-cuts, etc. And some have one dimension as I'd expect, but only the other is different.

Clearly I'm not buying trimmed cards, so what gives? I thought cards would all measure pretty close to the same dimensions. Am I missing something?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Are you noticing this in the scanned images, or the actual cards themselves?

Some scanning software will modify sizing without letting you now, therefore throwing things off a bit. Compare two cards that scanned in different sizes and see if the physical cards vary.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Some scanning software will modify sizing without letting you now, therefore throwing things off a bit. Compare two cards that scanned in different sizes and see if the physical cards vary.
My scanner scans cards and makes them twice as big. How do you change it?

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Good point. I foolishly assumed the software would be accurate and consistent. I'm using an Epson scanner with their software, which I actually think is pretty good. Then manipulating in Photoshop. I'll have to pull a few examples and measure the actual cards themselves.

So should they all be pretty close to 2.5" x 3.5"?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Almost any time you force the software to do something, or allow for it to adjust your scans...something will get messed up.

And Erich...if you're scanning cards and they are "twice as big" it sounds like a resolution issue. Cards themselves are 2.5 X 3.5", but anything scanned will be in pixels. Some software will scan a 72 DPI image and leave the dimensions correct, while scanning the same image at 150 DPI and giving the physical appearance that the card is now 5x7". The resolution is technically the same, but the print size will be larger.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Almost any time you force the software to do something, or allow for it to adjust your scans...something will get messed up.

And Erich...if you're scanning cards and they are "twice as big" it sounds like a resolution issue. Cards themselves are 2.5 X 3.5", but anything scanned will be in pixels. Some software will scan a 72 DPI image and leave the dimensions correct, while scanning the same image at 150 DPI and giving the physical appearance that the card is now 5x7". The resolution is technically the same, but the print size will be larger.
Gotcha

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I got a new scanner, and if I scan the cards outside of the holder, they look great and sharp, but if I scan a graded card or scan the card in a magnetic holder, it scans the entire field and makes the card scan tiny - can anyone help me fix that problem? I can't seem to find a way to crop the image like my old scanner, so it's frustrating...

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Most important thing in this thread is that most scanner software is terrible. The second most important thing is that auto sizing or auto locate tends to screw up a lot.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Most important thing in this thread is that most scanner software is terrible. The second most important thing is that auto sizing or auto locate tends to screw up a lot.

Great advice, thank you.

Members online

Latest posts