Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fake 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I received a fake in the mail the other day. The seller wanted proof so I told him I'd post a comparison here. After that exchange he offered a refund. I've purchased about 50 copies of this card over the past few years and I believe this is the only fake I've received. Comparison scans below. I'm not even going to say which one is fake as I'm sure you will figure it out real quick. A real version will have a soft silver luster on the lower left. It is actually a tough feature to fake.

ThomasLF.jpg

ThomasLB.jpg

ThomasSF.jpg
ThomasSR.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Definitely not a printer issue.

The interpolation of the print dots are common when something is scanned, then printed again, it creates two sets of dots.

Therefore, definitely a fake and not a printing problem.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
These probably aren't being faked anymore, but these were high dollar cards at one time and most likely counterfeited back then. Most of the big cards from the 80s have been counterfeited, including Michael Jordan RCs, Sammy Sosa Leaf RCs, Barry Bonds TT XRCs, and countless others.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Yup. They were even faking the 1990 Score Bo Jackson Black and White card back when it was a $10 card. The one posted here is a pretty bad fake. Some were supposedly not too bad IIRC.

leatherman said:
These probably aren't being faked anymore, but these were high dollar cards at one time and most likely counterfeited back then. Most of the big cards from the 80s have been counterfeited, including Michael Jordan RCs, Sammy Sosa Leaf RCs, Barry Bonds TT XRCs, and countless others.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I was gifted a couple of these fake Leaf RCs a year or two back and have since gifted them out to other Thomas collectors. Exact same print and quality as your fake. If you look back in the Thomas thread, I posted it there.

edited to add:

These were printed in the early '90s, during the cards hey-day. I collect counterfeit cards and was excited to land this card. Not only is the silver powder coat faked, but the images are cropped slightly differently. Here's mine:

1990Leaf_Counterfeit.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Cobra29svt said:
Hey Ross, if you happen to come across another fake please lmk. I'd like to have one in my collection.

scan your real one & print it up! thats all the crooks did lol

Members online

Latest posts