Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about Donruss Recollection Collection Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Hi folks,
I recently bought my first Recollection Collection auto. I got a Matt Williams (childhood favorite) '88 Donruss, numbered to 78. I collect autographed RCs, so I thought it would be cool to pick this one up. I expected a reprinted card, but this card looks a lot like the regular '88 Donruss card I have of Williams--plus the "Donruss Recollection Collection" embossing and the serial numbering on the back.

My question is: Are these reprinted cards or original cards that have been bought back, embossed/serial numbered, and autographed?

Thanks,
Anthony

Screen_shot_2010-09-27_at_6.17.33_PM.png

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
On the whole, with a few exceptions, they're original cards, allegedly bought back, auto'ed, and embossed. In a few rare scenarios, it is the original card but a different foil #ing is attached.
Anthony said:
Hi folks,
I recently bought my first Recollection Collection auto. I got a Matt Williams (childhood favorite) '88 Donruss, numbered to 78. I collect autographed RCs, so I thought it would be cool to pick this one up. I expected a reprinted card, but this card looks a lot like the regular '88 Donruss card I have of Williams--plus the "Donruss Recollection Collection" embossing and the serial numbering on the back.

My question is: Are these reprinted cards or original cards that have been bought back, embossed/serial numbered, and autographed?

Thanks,
Anthony

Screen_shot_2010-09-27_at_6.17.33_PM.png

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
They bought back the original cards and had them stamped, serial numbered, and signed. Funny that you posted this as I just got this in. The centering is terrible and one corner is a little rough but of course I still want it.

2004 Donruss Timelines Recollection Autographs
2004%20Donruss%20Timelines%20Recollection%20Autographs%20Large.jpg

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Thanks folks. The fact that this card is original (whether a warehouse leftover or a buyback) makes it a more significant part of my collection.

I appreciate your help,
Anthony

A_Pharis

joelmcook said:
Why is the Schilling in black sharpie while the others are in a blue fine point?

The signing utensil was up to the player. George Foster signed in silver paint pen. As stated ebfore, all of these are "buybacks" though more likely from old stock.
There are reprints made in 2001 of DKs from the 80's. They have recollection versions that are extremely limited, and they are definitely overstock, since they do not feature the serial-numbering as the rest of the reprints from 2001. Instead, they have only the "buyback" numbering.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
shame on donruss bringing us a huge on card autograph set of popular players. MLB really
knew what they were doing when they got rid of them.

eye roll

Kevin

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
schmidtfan20 said:
shame on donruss bringing us a huge on card autograph set of popular players. MLB really

eye roll

Kevin

kind of ironic isnt it that DLP bastardized the sticker auto, isnt it?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
indeed ironic that playoff used a ton of stickers, but pinnacle had some amazing ideas. This
set in baseball and the pen pals in football. Today if you can't put together a product in
2 weeks you don't do it.

Kevin

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
Actually, the majority of the cards from these sets were purchased from your favorite card vendor and mine, Rob Veres at Burbank Sportscards. Where else is a card company going to go when you need 20,000 to 50,000 cards for an autograph project and need the cards in a couple of weeks?

Since the cards did not have to be printed, it was easier from a logistics standpoint to have hard signatures on them.

The Foster thing was embarrassing and we all freaked out a bit when we got them back from him and saw the silver paint pen signatures.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
schmidtfan20 said:

eye roll

Kevin

For reasons beyond most of our knowledge, Donruss wasn;t granted a MLB license but that didn't mean that they couldn't have gotten one in the future. Despite that, Donruss wanted to spit in MLB's face and did so with numerous products including 2008 Prime Cuts IV. MLB had no choice but to protect their trademarks and sue Donruss. At that point, Donruss' chances of ever receiving an MLB license were gone, and they were probably planning the sale of their company before they printed the 2008 products anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts