Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pujols submitted list of teams for potential trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_ba ... trade.html?

I'm not sure how many people saw this, but I stumbled across it this morning. He gave a small list of teams that he would be open playing for if he were to be traded. Now, I believe he will likely remain a Cardinal, but being a Dodger fan, it brought me a little glimmer of hope. If the McCourt's can get the divorce mess finalized, the Dodgers might be able to compete for him provided the money is there.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
tommyfro21 said:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2010/09/florida-marlins-among-teams-to-which-albert-pujols-would-accept-a-trade.html?

I'm not sure how many people saw this, but I stumbled across it this morning. He gave a small list of teams that he would be open playing for if he were to be traded. Now, I believe he will likely remain a Cardinal, but being a Dodger fan, it brought me a little glimmer of hope. If the McCourt's can get the divorce mess finalized, the Dodgers might be able to compete for him provided the money is there.

I read the Rangers inked a new TV deal with FOX which will make them a ton of money per-season. The Dodgers are in a similar position with their TV deal with FOX (whose broadcast duo I cannot stomach). The discussion could lead to an extension with FOX which could lead to more money for the team OR the Dodgers could go the route of the Yankees and Red Sox and create a TV channel of their own giving them MORE money to spend.

Who wouldn't want to see Pujols in a Dodger uni? I'd love from Matt Kemp to have Pujols as a player-mentor.

The problem: the more lucrative Dodger TV route is expensive up front and with the current McCourt situation it'll be difficult to say how much $$ owners will be willing to spend.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Albert will go to were ever the money is. He will stay and then ask for way to much from the Cardinals and then the Yankees will sign him to 400 million a season for 10 seasons. and they will dump Tex in the process.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The Pujols watch is going to get really interesting. Between his comments on winning and his comments towards Rasmus during that whole fiasco; it seems as though as long as the Cardinals treat him fairly and he agrees to defer some of his contract, he should be a Cardinal for life.

As a Cardinals fan, I want Pujols to be a Cardinal for life and I truly believe he is a good guy that cares about winning and doing good works.

However, if he proves to only be about the most amount of money possible and really holds the Cardinals to the fire; then I would have to lean towards trading him in 2011. After all, if we can't sign anyone else; then how are we expected to put a winning team together for him? I love Pujols and would want nothing more than to see him play every game of his MLB career with the birds across his chest. But at the same time, I don't want to watch a financially crippled team that are continually cycling through AAAA reserve OFers and project pitchers as our 3, 4, and 5 guys in the rotation.

Any way, I hope Pujols is a Cardinal in 2012; but I only hope that if it is good for the organization.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
The rangers deal I believe will net them 150 million a year. That would be 3 times the current payroll for the rangers. The park would be an awesome place for pujols

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
What do you all think potential trades would be for each team? The posted article mentions potential deals with the Marlins, centered around Hanley.

But for you guys saying Dodgers and Rangers, who do you think your team would have to give up to trade for Pujols?

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
bouwob said:
The rangers deal I believe will net them 150 million a year. That would be 3 times the current payroll for the rangers. The park would be an awesome place for pujols

That number is 100% false. Their deal is in the 75-76 million per year range.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
The Pujols watch is going to get really interesting. Between his comments on winning and his comments towards Rasmus during that whole fiasco; it seems as though as long as the Cardinals treat him fairly and he agrees to defer some of his contract, he should be a Cardinal for life.

As a Cardinals fan, I want Pujols to be a Cardinal for life and I truly believe he is a good guy that cares about winning and doing good works.

However, if he proves to only be about the most amount of money possible and really holds the Cardinals to the fire; then I would have to lean towards trading him in 2011. After all, if we can't sign anyone else; then how are we expected to put a winning team together for him? I love Pujols and would want nothing more than to see him play every game of his MLB career with the birds across his chest. But at the same time, I don't want to watch a financially crippled team that are continually cycling through AAAA reserve OFers and project pitchers as our 3, 4, and 5 guys in the rotation.

Any way, I hope Pujols is a Cardinal in 2012; but I only hope that if it is good for the organization.

I'd love to know what the connection between being a "good guy" and trying to get the most money possible is? If trying to get the highest salary eliminates someone from being a "good guy" there are very few good guys out there in the world.
Taking it a little further, if Pujols considers an offer from the Cardinals, accepts an offer from another team for more and uses the difference to fund his charity work, would that not mean he is a good guy?

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

I'd love to know what the connection between being a "good guy" and trying to get the most money possible is? If trying to get the highest salary eliminates someone from being a "good guy" there are very few good guys out there in the world.
Taking it a little further, if Pujols considers an offer from the Cardinals, accepts an offer from another team for more and uses the difference to fund his charity work, would that not mean he is a good guy?

lol wft

taking it to a further galaxy

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
rico08 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

lol wft

taking it to a further galaxy

Not sure what the issue is. I'm simply illustrating how signing with another team has nothing to do with being a good guy.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
bouwob said:

can you imagine the hr numbers he would put up in that park :eek:

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
What do you all think potential trades would be for each team? The posted article mentions potential deals with the Marlins, centered around Hanley.

But for you guys saying Dodgers and Rangers, who do you think your team would have to give up to trade for Pujols?

I would think the Dodgers would be asked to give up something like Billingsley and Loney plus 2 key prospects. Of course, this would only happen pending a long term deal with the Dodgers prior to the trade.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
tommyfro21 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I would think the Dodgers would be asked to give up something like Billingsley and Loney plus 2 key prospects. Of course, this would only happen pending a long term deal with the Dodgers prior to the trade.

Billingsley is gone from LA the first chance he gets, so it'd make sense for the Dodgers to move him for something while they have him. Realistically, it'd take Bills, Jensen, Loney, and Jerry Sands for Pujols (w/ an extension already worked out). For the Rangers, they'd probably start at Feliz, Andrus, Martin Perez, plus a mid tier prospect. And since the Angels are on his list as well, I'd have to think the deal would be centered around Trout, Napoli, Walden, and Chatwood.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

The comments weren't directly related. The first was my opinion and hopes on Pujols so that fellow Cardinals fans understood where I was coming from. I then explained that you can't be about winning while financially hand-cuffing an organization for the length of your stay.

He could sign with a another team for more money and I will still view him as a good guy. But, if he does that then he is full of hot air and a lot of his comments will come back to haunt him...much like LeBron James and his stunt.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

The comments weren't directly related. The first was my opinion and hopes on Pujols so that fellow Cardinals fans understood where I was coming from. I then explained that you can't be about winning while financially hand-cuffing an organization for the length of your stay.

He could sign with a another team for more money and I will still view him as a good guy. But, if he does that then he is full of hot air and a lot of his comments will come back to haunt him...much like LeBron James and his stunt.

but lebron james signed for less money than what cleveland would have gave him because he wanted to win.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

but lebron james signed for less money than what cleveland would have gave him because he wanted to win.

Depends on the taxes in each city he considered :D

But seriously, I don't care if he takes more money. And the James comment had nothing to do with how much money he accepted, it had to do with how he handled it.

The bottom line is I like Pujols, I hope he is a life-long Cardinal, and he is a good guy. But, if he doesn't re-sign with the Cardinals then he is full of crap and would have been better off keeping his mouth shut about his future and minded his own business during the Rasmus flare up.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Adamsince1981 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Topnotchsy said:
Adamsince1981 said:

Depends on the taxes in each city he considered :D

But seriously, I don't care if he takes more money. And the James comment had nothing to do with how much money he accepted, it had to do with how he handled it.

The bottom line is I like Pujols, I hope he is a life-long Cardinal, and he is a good guy. But, if he doesn't re-sign with the Cardinals then he is full of crap and would have been better off keeping his mouth shut about his future and minded his own business during the Rasmus flare up.

Pujols asking to be paid the going market rate has nothing to do with "financially handcuffing the organization". If Pujols signs for a hometown discount, the owners who (already make millions in profits off the team each year) are the ones who reap the benefits. When the Cards front office says 'we can't sign Pujols and that extra starting pitcher we need', what they neglect to say is '... because it will eat into OUR $20 million profit on the team'.

What would be fair is for the Cards to work out a deal where for every dollar they underpay Pujols, they add $2 to the payroll over the life of his contract. Otherwise, he's the only one giving up anything.

Of course, if ownership refuses to do that, then they're not about winning and should just shut their yaps.

Members online