Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My opinion of Willie Mays has changed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
So, for years I have always thought Willie Mays was a grouchy, angry and self centered man. I felt that he carried a lot of his anger from his playing days.

Well, that opinion has now changed. I was involved with a large fund-raising dinner in New York that Willie was one of the honorees. He has become a very fragile man with many health issues including his ability to walk well and diminishing eye sight. During his acceptance speech he discussed how he tries to help others that are less fortunate or give back to the community. Here are a couple of quick stories that I can remember I thought I would share.

1. He visited some kids in a hospital during the Christmas season one year. He went into one room and there were two boys in the room. He didn't realize that there were two in the room when he first walked in. Willie offered the one boy the cap he was wearing. He signed it and handed it to him. He then realized that there was another child in the room. He felt so bad that he asked the nurses to quickly find another baseball cap so that he could give it to the other child. They found one, he signed it and gave it to the other boy as well. He refused to leave the room until they found another hat for him to give.

2. During Halloween, he signs 500 baseballs and gives one out to each of the kids when they come trick-or-treating. He says that some adults (after their kids get a ball) try asking for an autograph and he tells them that he signed 500 ball and it was only for the kids. At his age and health, it's hard for him to sign that much.

He was very gracious and had the crowd of 1200 guests cheering "Say Hey" during his entire 15 minute speech. He would have talked longer but Bob Costas cut him off so that the rest of the program can go on. He enjoys watching TV Land for all of the old TV shows and Sesame Street with his grandchildren.

Now that I have heard him speak and open up a little about his life in baseball and what he does now, I understand more about the man that I once thought was a grouchy old man.

Through understanding comes acceptance.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
jgro85 said:
not so sure why you thought he was a bitter, old, angry man in the first place?

Things you read, stories you hear affect your opinion of someone....even if they might not be true..

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
autocut said:
zach said:
jgro85 said:
not so sure why you thought he was a bitter, old, angry man in the first place?

Things you read, stories you hear affect your opinion of someone....even if they might not be true..

That's why you can't let the media control you. It's like jumping on a bandwagon.

No doubt...I am guilty.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
There was a thread not so long ago about how he charges like $75+ for autographs when he does signings. That alone says a lot about his character in my opinion.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
There was a thread not so long ago about how he charges like $75+ for autographs when he does signings. That alone says a lot about his character in my opinion.

lol $75, maybe 15 years ago. Try $300+.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
and for that 300 auto he picks out the color of pen he wants to use and where he will place the auto regardless of how it covers up other names or parts of the card and makes it look like crap.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
autocut said:
morgoth said:
and for that 300 auto he picks out the color of pen he wants to use and where he will place the auto regardless of how it covers up other names or parts of the card and makes it look like crap.

The man can barely see, so i doubt he actually picks a place.

No, he'll argue with you about the best color to sign with and where to sign. 100% fact.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
I will forever think of Mays as an ******* regardless of these "stories". I had a buddy who had a ball signed with Mantle and Snider on it, he paid 300.00 to have Mays sign the ball as well and Mays signed it intentionally over the Mantle sig pretty much ruining the ball. i would have choked him if he did that to my ball :lol:

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
RGBII sweet avitar! I just watched one flew over just this afternoon!

no matter what they say about the guy i am keeping my auto pull I had of his!
MAYSWILLIE.jpg

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
this was Monday's charity event in NYC correct? Where Dan Marino and others were there?

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Willie Mays is Willie Mays. He was Great and he knew it! Same with his godson.

They were cocky baseball players so what makes you think they wont be cocky off the field too?

I met him 3 times back in 80's and he was nice to me. I judge him for that alone.

You guys judge a former baseball player by the way he treated you in the 30 seconds you stood in front of him at some lame card show. uh OK

Most of you are trying to cash in on him in some way or another. And if you dont get your way, your upset. uh OK

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jastermereel said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

lol $75, maybe 15 years ago. Try $300+.

That sounds more like it. Why charge so much if you're really trying to make anyone happy? Real dick move there. I don't care who you are, writing your name on a piece of paper is not enough work to warrant $300 of pay.

Members online