Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cito's last stand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Tonight is Cito Gaston's last home game as manager of the Jays. As frustrating (and downright dumb) as some of his decisions have been in this second go around, I really don't know that there has ever been a better ambassador for this franchise.

Gaston has been with the organization for 28 years now and his impact, especially as a hitting mentor had been truly immeasureable. Seeing the tributes in tonight's ceremony from the likes of Hank Aaron, Paul Molitor, and Roberto Alomar demonstrate the impact he has had on so many people in the game.

900 wins, 2 World Series, and four division titles are just a fraction of what he has accomplished.

I have no desire to meet my favourite athletes or sports personalities. It just doesn't interest me. But about two years ago, at a work function, I found myself standing next to him. We chatted for about 5 minutes and while it sounds cliche, he was a true gentleman. He spent as much time asking me about myself and my job as I did about his.

As I said, he's been pretty frustrating at times this year but I can truly say that this organization wouldn't have had anywhere near as much success if Cito had never been a part of it.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i wish we had someone as good as he has been . but our owners are main problem [imo] Cito is old school not many will ever get close to his stats

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
Well said Braden, he has been frustrating at times ( my wife makes fun of me yelling at the tv ::facepalm:: ) but the Jays are better for having him part of the organization. His skills as a hitting instructor are second to none.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Agreed. Cito was an excellent hitting instructor, both when he was the hitting coach and while he was manager. Many have said that hitting was his forte, and that's why he didn't handle his pitchers very well.

I thought it was pretty neat in last night's game that a lot of players and coaches actually took the field with Cito-like 'staches drawn on with eye black! Travis Snider homered in his first at-bat with his new look: http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/video/p ... 4&c_id=tor

- R.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
olerud363 said:
Agreed. Cito was an excellent hitting instructor, both when he was the hitting coach and while he was manager. Many have said that hitting was his forte, and that's why he didn't handle his pitchers very well.

I thought it was pretty neat in last night's game that a lot of players and coaches actually took the field with Cito-like 'staches drawn on with eye black! Travis Snider homered in his first at-bat with his new look: http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/video/p ... 4&c_id=tor

- R.
i call that respect , something you have to earn which he has

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I dislike him. I've always disliked him. I think anyone could've lead those two Jays teams to championships (ie. Girardi lead the Yankees to a championship.)

I think he's an incredibly poor manager that has made the Jays team worse, delayed the development of younger players, and given AB to players that shouldn't be in the major leagues. It's one thing to trust your veterans when they're all-stars or former starters, it's a completely different thing to trust them when they have a .400 OPS.

Yet, he's an absolutely terrific guy. So incredibly laid back, so friendly, so intriguing. I've spoken to him a few times, gotten his autograph once and he's really difficult to dislike. I hate his managerial skills, but as a dude, I don't think anything phases him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts