Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's South Atlantic League Top 20 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I thought Matzek would have topped it this year. I also thought Singleton's somewhat mediocre second half would have dropped him.

SOUTH ATLANTIC LEAGUE
TOP 20 PROSPECTS
1. Jonathan Singleton, 1b, Lakewood Blueclaws
2. Nolan Arenado, 3b, Asheville Tourists (Rockies)
3. Tyler Matzek, lhp, Asheville Tourists (Rockies)
4. Brody Colvin, rhp, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
5. Robbie Erlin, lhp, Hickory Crawdads (Rangers)
6. Arodys Vizcaino, rhp, Rome Braves
7. Jarred Cosart, rhp, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
8. Jonathan Villar, ss, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
9. Reymond Fuentes, of, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
10. Chad James, lhp, Greensboro Grasshoppers (Marlins)
11. Trevor May, rhp, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
12. Zack Wheeler, rhp, Augusta Greenjackets (Giants)
13. Cesar Puello, of, Savannah Sand Gnats (Mets)
14. Christian Bethancourt, C, Rome Braves
15. Robbie Ross, lhp, Hickory Crawdads (Rangers)
16. Drake Britton, lhp, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
17. J.D. Martinez, of, Lexington Legends (Astros)
18. Slade Heathcott, of, Charleston Riverdogs (Yankees)
19. Sebastian Valle, C, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
20. Chris Dominguez, 3b, Augusta Greenjackets (Giants)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here's a glaring omission, at least to me - Wilmer Flores.

Wasn't he the guy who was pretty much immune to strikeouts for the first months of this season?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
agree Flores who does not strike out all that much is not on the list but Slade Heathcott who struck out at an alarming rate is?

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Jaypers said:
Here's a glaring omission, at least to me - Wilmer Flores.

Wasn't he the guy who was pretty much immune to strikeouts for the first months of this season?

They "accidentally" leave Flores off of every list.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Flores spent the last 2.5 months in high A. If he was going to appear on a list, would it not be the Florida State League?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
SamHell said:
Flores spent the last 2.5 months in high A. If he was going to appear on a list, would it not be the Florida State League?

He still had enough AB's to qualify for the SAL.

Prospects can appear on multiple leagues' Top 20 lists, assuming they play enough to qualify.

If he misses the FSL as well, that will be a complete crock.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Give me a break.

Mike (MO): Did Wilmer Flores not qualify to make this list? If he is eligible, how did he not make this top 20?

Bill Ballew: Flores has the ability to hit for average and his defense is steady on balls he can reach. The problem is Flores does not run well and has very limited range at a key defensive position. He's going to need to change positions, and with that position change his limited power will become a bigger negative. Flores is young (he turned 19 in August) and he plays easy with the ability to put the ball in play. In my mind, at least, the sum of his strong tools do not add up to an exceptional player at higher levels.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Jaypers said:
Give me a break.

Mike (MO): Did Wilmer Flores not qualify to make this list? If he is eligible, how did he not make this top 20?

Bill Ballew: Flores has the ability to hit for average and his defense is steady on balls he can reach. The problem is Flores does not run well and has very limited range at a key defensive position. He's going to need to change positions, and with that position change his limited power will become a bigger negative. Flores is young (he turned 19 in August) and he plays easy with the ability to put the ball in play. In my mind, at least, the sum of his strong tools do not add up to an exceptional player at higher levels.

:shock: SELL! :shock:

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Jaypers said:
Give me a break.

Funny that offensively that sounds very similar to Miguel Cabrera at the same age. Not certain why there are so many question marks on his power given his youth and the amount of projection left (not to mention he showed similar power to Cabrera at the same age - just using Cabrera as an example as it was Flores most frequent comp). Calling into question his speed (which he's never had) and the necessity to move him off short (which was always a given) as the reason to leave him off seems odd to me I must say.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Messier2 said:
Jaypers said:
Give me a break.

:shock: SELL! :shock:

Please, SELL! to me.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Obviously this means Wilmer Flores isn't going to make the FSL list and that is a complete joke. He was the BEST player I saw play in that league this year. I only saw him three times, but he was better than Starlin Castro was last year, just not as smooth with the glove obviously. But the kid can hit. I feel he WILL hit for power. How does a 6'3'' 19-year old (who JUST turned 19 in August, meaning he spent ALL of his time in the SAL at 18) not have projection? Joke. This is going to be a great off-season picking up Wilmer Flores Autos on the cheap.

Members online

Latest posts