Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starlin Castro's plummeting batting average

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
On September 4th, Starlin Castro had his 6th straight multihit game, raising his batting average to .321. He was competing in the batting title, but the question remained as to if he would get enough plate appearances to qualify.

Fast forward to today, and Castro has 501 plate appearances, and needs just one to qualify for the batting title. However, that is a moot point now, as Castro has batted just .164 in the 19 games since September 4th. He has just 11 hits in 67 ABs, and just one extra base hit as well (a double), to go along with a paltry 2 runs scored. That's not exactly what you want to see from your #2 hitter in the lineup.

His average stands at .298 and, unless he has a decent weekend, will fall short of the .300 batting average that seemed so assured just 4 weeks ago.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Huffamaniac said:
even if he does not .300 he still had a very good rookie season

Agreed. Who would have ever thought that he would get 500 AB's in the bigs this year at age 20. It was a great year for him and I can't wait to watch him progress the next few years.

skrip

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
His rookie season reminds me of Rafael Furcal's.

Furcal batted .295 in 131 games in 2000. His OPS+ was 97, striking out 80 times.
Castro is batting .298 in 124 games. His OPS+ is 95, striking out 70 times.

Furcal had more walks, runs, stolen bases, and was a much better fielder.

They were both only 20 when the season started, but Furcal was 22 (almost 23) by the time the season ended. Remember that, Braves fans?

I don't think Cubs fans would be disappointed if Castro turned out to have a similar career to Furcal's, but he needs to get his walks up, and his errors down.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Hopefully Castro's statistical drop off has nothing to do with playing on the Cubs. I like to see a player play hard despite team turmoil/decades of disappointment. It's easy to mail it in when you're out of contention.

Still, I agree with skrip: never expected Castro would get a chance to showcase his talent so early. It'll be interesting to see what kind of career he puts together; he definitely has some skills.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
This is from an article on the 28th...

“I’m happy. I’ll keep working hard and getting better. I started off hot, then struggled, then realized I can play at this level and got hot again. Now I’m a little tired but I want to finish strong.”

Understandable, given his age and rapid ascent. He played in about this many games(maybe more) last year, counting playoffs and AFL, but only played 101 the prior two years.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Castro suffered a bruised hip earlier this month and hasn't hit particularly well since coming back. I think the injury threw off his timing as his hitting downturn has coincided with that. Still, I am thrilled with how he has played at the age of 20 and think the Cubs have something special in him.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
It was very interesting to see the Cubs sat Castro today so he could hit exactly .300 on the season :D

Members online

Latest posts