Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Manuel and Minaya canned for 2011, Mets fans...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
Just saw the crawl on ESPN, I'm sure there are a ton of Mets fans ready to celebrate... I'm guessing the Torre speculation will start immediately. Who will be running the Mets next year, Torre, Bobby V, someone else?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Messier2 said:
Backman for Manager!

I wouldn't root for that. I had a buddy that played for him in the minors and had some really bad stories about this guy. Unless you want some serious alcohol/drug/ PED's in that clubhouse, you might want your Mets to go another direction.

Skrip

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
ballerskrip said:
Messier2 said:
Backman for Manager!

I wouldn't root for that. I had a buddy that played for him in the minors and had some really bad stories about this guy. Unless you want some serious alcohol/drug/ PED's in that clubhouse, you might want your Mets to go another direction.

Skrip

I just want someone with FIRE and a DESIRE to win...ANYONE! lol

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
here are my thoughts on what i hope the mets can accomplish before 2011 starts

new manager - i'd love to have bobby v. back but doubt that's gonna happen. torre is a good call as he's got the credentials to be respected by the players. backman? whoo! that's be wild. lol! i dont mind that one as well.

castillo/perez - with one year remaining, mets need to cut em or release them. castillo knows he needs to go and ollie is just a mess. give me aj for ollie!! nah, kidding. we can't take any more bad contract at this point

beltran - in his walk year, depending on his gimpy knee, have a feeling he'll have an awesome season to play for that next contract but i hope we can use him for trade bait for a prospect. all depends on how he plays next year. if he's healthy and putting up great numbers, he should be traded when the stock is a bit high.

reyes/wright - you hear people say break them up but no, i do not want that to happen. along with ike, i love the infield as is and hope that the mets can add some pieces (gritty players is what we need)

position needs - with beltran, pagan and bay set for next year, we need someone who can be that bridge should beltran get traded. hopefully we give fmart a chance. not sure what position duda plays but damn, saw a few met game the last week and he's built like a tank! reminds me of dunn (without the power, of course which i hope can be developed). not sure about tejada being the everyday 2nd basemen although i like him a lot. great defense but his hitting is blah...hope he works out

pitching needs - with johan questionable for at least the beginning of the season, pelf and niese isn't the answer....havent seen gee enough but i dont think he's the answer either. we should def. bring back dickey. aside from lee, which he'll go to the yanks, there really isn't anyone out there to sign....and no pitching prospects, either. matt harvey's another year/two away, right? this is gonna be another down year on our pitching staff....ugh

catcher - im fine with thole and blanco if he comes back. dont see any options to upgrade for that position...

i wish the mets can take a page out of the jets and bring in some hard knocks personality. werth i like but he's too $$....

2011 doesn't look good either....

dave

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
Im a NY baseball fan and I think Torre would be awful for the Mets. They already have enough lifeless personalities on the team. Bobby V would be nice but the Wilpons probably wont spend the cash. I like Backman as he'd add some excitement and much needed fire to the franchise, really hope they go with him.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Unfortunately, we still have some big contracts on the books for players that haven't performed very well:

Beltran: $18.5m for 2011
Santana: $72m through 2013 ($24m per year)
K-Rod: $11.5m for 2011 + possible guaranteed $17.5m in 2012
Perez: $12m for 2011
Bay: $48m through 2013 ($16m per year) + vested option $17m in 2014

I would argue that none of these players are worth what we are going to be paying them for the years they have left on their contracts. We have a team option for Reyes for $11m next year, and even that might be overpaying for what we could get on the free agent market.

It's going to take at least 3 years to build a team, so we need a great GM right now. That's our biggest need.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
mannyramirezcollec said:
Jon Daniels is the GM name I heard
I don't see him leaving. He has an opt out in his contract if the team was sold so he could technically be available but I think he opts out and gets a fat raise from the Rangers. I don't know why he would leave Texas. Fanbase loves him. Nolan lets him do what he needs to do. Talk is that payroll could increase by 25 million or more for next year. The Mets system is pretty thin. The Rangers system while weakened by trades and promotions is still fairly strong. His wife is very active in the community. He is originally from NY so I'm sure will be some talk.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
"someone else" is going to be the new manager. Maybe Tim Teufel if not wally. someone CHEAP is the key here.
there is no more wilpon money to dish out.

Chiti field is a joke, and the luster has long worn off.

Im hoping to see a decent team on the field in 2015

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
yeah, this is the clown I would want running my team, along with the fact that he has substance abuse issues....and I mean BAD

On November 1, 2004, Backman was promoted to manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks' major league squad.[5] However, only a day later, reports surfaced that Backman had serious legal and financial problems. He had also been arrested in 1999 for DUI in Washington as documented on HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. A year later, he was arrested in connection with an altercation in his home in Prineville, Oregon. In addition, Backman declared bankruptcy to avoid paying over 20 creditors, including the IRS.[6] The Diamondbacks initially stood by him,[7] but fired him on November 5 before ever managing a game.[8]

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
ballerskrip said:
yeah, this is the clown I would want running my team, along with the fact that he has substance abuse issues....and I mean BAD

On November 1, 2004, Backman was promoted to manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks' major league squad.[5] However, only a day later, reports surfaced that Backman had serious legal and financial problems. He had also been arrested in 1999 for DUI in Washington as documented on HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. A year later, he was arrested in connection with an altercation in his home in Prineville, Oregon. In addition, Backman declared bankruptcy to avoid paying over 20 creditors, including the IRS.[6] The Diamondbacks initially stood by him,[7] but fired him on November 5 before ever managing a game.[8]

Ron Washington has substance abuse problems and that team is doing just fine, plus I'd love to see some of this in the major league level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZxT9MHAJU

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I really hope that Torre is not the next manager.The guy has no fire what-so-ever.He doesn't have a good track record anywhere but the yankees.These players need a fire lit under their asses.Torre isn't the guy for that.And who wants to hear him say he might not be back next year in July.I would like to see Bobby V. or Lee Mazzilli as the manager.If Backman is hired as manager it will be just like 1986 again without the championship.

I don't have high hopes for the next couple of years because there is to much dead weight on the team right now.I am,however,one happy camper that Minaya and Manuel is gone.Minaya should look into a job for the Raiders.They seem to like to send money on washed up talent also so he would be a good fit.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
mannyramirezcollec said:
ballerskrip said:

Ron Washington has substance abuse problems and that team is doing just fine, plus I'd love to see some of this in the major league level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZxT9MHAJU

According to my buddy that played for him for over a year, Backman's standard day was as such:

Pre-game: 4-6 greenies, 3-4 cups of coffee
During game: as many greenies and cups of coffee as needed to make it through the game
Post game - as soon as the game was over he would start boozing it up and working his way towards other drugs that I won't mention

MLB is trying to clean up the game, not have guys like this running their teams. He was fired from the D-backs before even managing a game, and toiled in independent ball for 3 years. He has since only managed one season in affiliated ball and you want to hand the reigns over to him? Really? Are you blind? Ryne Sandberg would be a much better fit than Wally Backman....

Members online

Latest posts