Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collectors asked Upper Deck for more redemptions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Upper Deck FAQ said:
Why does Upper Deck use redemptions?

If athletes do not return their cards to us for a product release, we have to use redemption cards so we can meet the insert ratios on the packaging. Also, we want to avoid having gaps in the set. Other reasons include:

Logistics (i.e. game used memorabilia does not fit well into a wax pack)
Security (i.e. pack searchers and product damaged in shipping)

Sometimes use of rookie redemptions are necessary. These are cards that a rookie has not yet signed, but these redemptionscreate excitement for the upcoming draft and add more value to the product.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
please, do they think we are stupid? They have 25 base cards of MJ or Lebron. They are
numbered out of 25. Instead of using all 25 sticker autos of MJ which cost thousands
of dollars, they issue it as a redemption which expires after a year. 10 are redeemed
and UD can keep the other 15.

Maybe the most important question is, why do redemptions expire?

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
please, do they think we are stupid? They have 25 base cards of MJ or Lebron. They are
numbered out of 25. Instead of using all 25 sticker autos of MJ which cost thousands
of dollars, they issue it as a redemption which expires after a year. 10 are redeemed

no, we just think that you are stupid!

msink28

Dec 24, 2008
The other reasons are crap too. It's not as if UD routinely makes GU cards so awesome that they don't fit into a pack. Also, if you have a redemption, you have to ship it out, in which case you... run the risk of the product being damaged in shipping.

Also: let's just say "hot pack redemption" doesn't come up empty on eBay. I think the pack searchers are able to find those redemptions.

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
I would be fine with redemptions if 1) They never expired and 2) That the were all actually made prior to being inserted into product (delays would be non-existent and turn-around would be short).

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Wow, never thought of this before for some reason...

schmidtfan20 said:

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:

For accounting purposes. If they never expired then any non-redeemed would always be a liability. So they make the books look good.

From ACT 101.....Assets + Stockholders equity = Liability.

I don't agree with expiring ones but I have to believe this to be the reason.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
msink28 said:
The other reasons are crap too. It's not as if UD routinely makes GU cards so awesome that they don't fit into a pack.

they are actually referring to actual full sized game used items on that answer, something that UD did quite regularly years ago.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Fandruw25 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

For accounting purposes. If they never expired then any non-redeemed would always be a liability. So they make the books look good.

From ACT 101.....Assets + Stockholders equity = Liability.

I don't agree with expiring ones but I have to believe this to be the reason.

But they are a sunk cost, already created and they reside in inventory, so they don't leave the books. Their assets would be out of balance since inventory would show the cards as on hand while the expired redemption cards would remove the unpaid liability.

autocut

schmidtfan20 said:

Legal matters, I think everything has to have an expiration date. That's why if still available after the expiration date, companies are still willing to honor the redemption.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
mburgin said:
schmidtfan20 said:

:lol:

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
mburgin said:
schmidtfan20 said:

:lol:

joelmcook

Aug 1, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I like panini's redemption system so far. Upper Deck is my favorite right now in hockey because it was the only in hockey for awhile but I cannot wait for panini to come out with some hockey cards for a change of scenery

Members online

Latest posts