Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

White Plains Show Report (Long Read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Ah...haven't done these in a while! So, here goes:

In reading about how "bad" this show was, I had middle to low expectations on this show and that's probably why it wasn't "bad" IMO. It wasn't a super, super show like the others but it satisfied my cravings. I needed a fix, and I got it!

Got there at 11 am and it was pretty full. There were less dealers so there was more space to walk around which was GREAT! (Imagine having to squeeze through 2 whales with their backs to each other...not a pretty sight!). Of course all the usual dealers were there so nothing new on that front.

I walked around and I saw lots of Dad's with their kids so that was very refreshing to see. I love it when parents get their kids interested in cards. The kids are the future of this hobby and you need to get them started early (before they get interested in other things like...the opposite sex etc.).

The box prices were pretty competitive with Seymour, the 2 guys next to Seymour and the old guy in the corner really giving decent prices for wax. The markups were not as huge as in the past. For example, Seymour has TTT for $160 which is pretty much what blowout sells it for. In the past, his markups (over blowout) were $10-$15 depending on the product. So, if you are going, you may want to try a box or 2. Oh, and when Seymour opens a fresh case...he would scream out loud "FRESH CASE!"....that was hilarious!

Singles on the other hand...eh...I mean if you LOVE hockey and vintage...this the show for you. Of course, you have the usual cast of characters in what I call the "prospector alley" but other than that...it was slim pickings!

Well, it's a decent show if you need your "fix"...but don't expect much above that!

Thanks for the read!

I used to attend every show. I usually go for the autograph signers (as I collect HOFers). Now the same signers get shuffled over and over again. So no real "new" signers. I aslo check out all the autograph baseball dealers. (I think I am the only one who buys them). Same balls every show. No new additions. So for me the shows have become very stale. To take the ride for a box or two I can save the tolls and aggravation and order it from Blowout and have it in 2 days. I will probably go to the LI National at Hofstra.

On a side note: Anyone have any info about the Queens College NYS National? Any good? Only heard horror stories but figured its close maybe I'll get lucky with some new dealers...

Tried all sorts of web searches and could not find it. Found it through Spence.
If there is no advertising how good of a show will it be (or if it is even still on)

http://www.newyorkstatenational.com/

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
I used to attend every show. I usually go for the autograph signers (as I collect HOFers). Now the same signers get shuffled over and over again. So no real "new" signers. I aslo check out all the autograph baseball dealers. (I think I am the only one who buys them). Same balls every show. No new additions. So for me the shows have become very stale. To take the ride for a box or two I can save the tolls and aggravation and order it from Blowout and have it in 2 days. I will probably go to the LI National at Hofstra.

On a side note: Anyone have any info about the Queens College NYS National? Any good? Only heard horror stories but figured its close maybe I'll get lucky with some new dealers...

If there is no advertising how good of a show will it be (or if it is even still on)

That queens college show is a disaster. The promoter is a slimeball.

The Hofstra show is usually very good.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:

Yeah, I guess it's different when you're focus specific like HOF balls. I'm just one of those junkies that "can't" wait 2 to 3 days for boxes to arrive at blowout. I'm willing to pay extra $ to get in and see some cool cards AND buy boxes at decent prices to rip NOW!

But, my luck being shatty lately..my boxes stunk and are not even worth mentioning...but I got my fix! :D