Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever accidentally sent a card to the wrong person on eBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
How did it go for you? I'm dealing with a this now. Obviously it's my fault for messing things up, but one person seems to be making it as difficult as possible for me.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I did once. I told the guy that I would pay for return shipping and ship his correct card free, refunding his costs and upgrading to priority. HE was fine with it and all ended well.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Happened to me a few years back, sent a Musial Bazooka back mini to the wrong person, IIRC it was about a $50-75 sale that I didnt want to have to eat. The wrong person sent it back within a week and I got it out to the actual buyer, so from my perspective, it went well. :)

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I accidently switched 2 cards, but both buyers were very cool about sending the wrong cards back. I refunded the shipping costs, switched the cards back out to the right buyers and received 2 positive feedback points. I was honest about the mistake, paid them for my error, and got them the card they wanted in the first place All ended well, everyone is entitled to a mistake here and there, but being honest helps.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I sent a card I got in May back to get the seller and never got the right card.

And a few years back I got a Mike Ball (the old New Hampshire WR, who broke Jerry Rice's records, I think) auto'd plate and never found out who sent it.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
This happen to me on the buying end, I just got the guys info where it was supposed to go and I sent it to him. He then did the same for me and the seller was off the hook :lol: This happens even now and again hopefully you can get it worked out

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Too late, I already got negative feedback even after I gave a refund. I wrote to the seller immediately after I found out explaining what happened and they flew off the handle, accused me of lying, etc... Oh well, one more buyer to block.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I received a $750 order for a Joe Milazzo (which is my fathers name, but he doesn't collect cards)
I knew the seller, he buys cards from me every once in a while..
I called him and he just put my address instead of the other guys..
He gave me the guys address and I just sent the package for him.
No relation to me but I thought that was kinda funny

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I have also made the same mistake. Once I learned about the problem from one of the buyers, I promptly refunded both of them plus extra shipping and asked them both to please return the cards. One guy happily returned the wrong card, which I forwarded to the correct buyer. The other guy never contacted me back, so he ended up getting two cards for the price of none. I had an extra of the card I had sold the guy who worked with me, so I sent it over. Both buyers happy (I assume, since the other guy never made a peep), and I learned to check my packages very carefully before sending them out.

I just made the same mistake 3 weeks ago. I sent the wrong card to a buyer. Realized it less than 8 hours later. Without waiting for the wrong one to be returned, I immediately sent out the right one. Sent numerous emails and tried contacting by phone and nothing. Almost a month later the buyer is now sitting with a free autographed card from me.

I thought of waiting for them to sell a card, win it, and hit them with a chargeback, but two wrongs don't make a right (but it would make me feel better) ;)

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Haven't sent one to the wrong person yet thankfully (knocking on wood), but have received the wrong one. I notified the seller, sent it back to him out of my own pocket, then ended up having to get a refund for the item I purchased (some $200 + card) because my card never showed back up.

Sometimes you lose for even trying...

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I had all 3 variations of a golf auto back in 02 or 03 of charlie rose. base,gold and platinum and sent the platinum version /25 instead of the base one. The card was selling for 150ish and the base 30ish, The buyer went insane and wanted to have me thrown in jail for sending him a high end card by accident. He called me every name in the book over the mistake. I told him that the correct card would be sent with a prepaid envelope to return the wrong card back to me. He hahahahaha thought for the mistake that I should allow him to keep the better card. Told him if the card was not returned that I would press charges. I overnighted the card and included the prepaid priorty envelope inside. He returned it and tried getting all his money back from me, Shipping was free so he didnt get a thing back from me. He left me a negative and said, I stole from him and I was all sorta bad things.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Never did it in the 7+ years I've been selling on eBay, until I was talking to a friend about how I never have done it, and a few days later, boom! Thankfully, each card was only $10. I was lucky because there were some big cards in the same shipment, easily could've been them that I screwed up.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
I have a horror story for you.....I only did this once.....and it was a biggie:

I sold one item off of ebay, it was a Michael Turner BGS 9.5 SP Authentic for $225.

I sold one item ON ebay and it was a lot of 3 Turkey Red Short prints for $10.

LUCKILY the guy who bought the SP and received the Turkey red has bought SEVERAL items from me in the past and was total cool and understood that the world is not perfect. He packaged the short prints up and returned them to me.

The ********* who received the SP Authentic instead of his 10 cards not only wouldn't reply to any of my emails but had the audacity to file a complainant that he never received his item! LOL.

Luckily I had an extra SP 9.5 to send the guy and it turned out ok, though some ****** still has my 9.5 that he paid $10 ::facepalm::

I will only use paypal printing labels now and ALWAYS write what the item is (short hand) on the label and look at the label on the envelope and match it with the card in my hand before putting it in.

Print label, immediately write what the item is (sometimes I print several labels at a time.....one at a time is the best and leess chance of an error). Wrap the label around the card and finish printing the rest.

Hope that helps.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Another issue I had was a Jermey Hellickson ORANGE chrome BGS 9.5.

This person is the shady seller who sells the "non-numbered' gold refractors on ebay by the dozen......so I was a bit leary.

I was estatic when I won it for 116. This one was numbered.

They sent me a regular chrome 9.5 instead of the orange.

Went through paypal and get my money back and never saw the orange.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I did. I only switched a couple $6 cards, so everyone was cool about it.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
Sold a BC gold nolan arenado non-auto for like $8...shipped the auto'd version. Found out when I shipped the NON-auto'd to a member here who bought the auto'd version and was not happy. Tried to get the auto'd one back from the guy who paid $8. Didn't happen. LOL. Had to eat about $60 on that deal, which sucked : (

- jkeys

Members online

Latest posts