Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NL ROY Voting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
What do u see in the ROY voting?

1. Posey
2. Heyward
3. Jaimie Garcia
3. Bumgarner
5. Stanton
6. Chris Johnson
7. Tyler Colvin

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
no Castro either. he only batted .300

Gaby is so underappreciated it is shocking. He has had a very solid rookie season

1.Heyward
2. Posey
3. Garcia
4. Sanchez
5. Castro
6 Stanton
7. Chris Johnson
8. Bumgarner

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
1.Heyward
2. Posey

3. Castro
4. Stanton
5. Garcia
6. Bumgarner
7. Chris Johnson
8. Colvin

I think the NL ROY will be between Heyward and Posey. If Garcia kept up what he did at the beginning of the year he would be in the mix too. It is too close to pick a fore sure winner though.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I think that Posey is going to win even though he had a slump in September. He still finished with over a .300 batting average, and the pitching staff had a great month of September with him catching.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Huffamaniac said:

Gaby is so underappreciated it is shocking. He hads a very solid rookie season

Gaby is tough. He won't be a superstar and he won't win ROY, but he belongs in the discussion.

Another Marlin that I like to continue to force into the spotlight at every opportunity ( :cool: ) is Logan Morrison. He doesn't get much hype because he only homered twice in his time in the Majors, but he was an on-base machine (just as advertised), and actually held the Major League record for longest on-base streak at 42 games in a row. He wasn't around long enough to have much of an argument for ROY, but I'm a big fan.

Seems like there's really no question that Heyward and Posey are on the front runners this year, probably followed by Garcia. Not sure how you can put Bumgarner up there without putting Daniel Hudson in front of him. Hudson was much better than Bumgarner this year in every way. Hell, I'd put Strasburg ahead of Bumgarner too. What he accomplished in a small period of time was greater than most rookie pitchers' seasons.

And one last wildcard name I'll throw out is Jonny Venters. 79 appearances of relief for ATL, more Ks than innings pitched and a 1.95 ERA.

My top picks would look like this (purposeful separation between the top two, as they are the obvious 1 & 2 this year the way I see it):

1a. Buster Posey
1b. Jason Heyward

3. Jaime Garcia
4. Gaby Sanchez
5. Mike Stanton
6. Jonny Venters
7. Starlin Castro
8. Daniel Hudson
9. Stephen Strasburg
10. Madison Bumgarner

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

Gaby is tough. He won't be a superstar and he won't win ROY, but he belongs in the discussion.

Another Marlin that I like to continue to force into the spotlight at every opportunity ( :cool: ) is Logan Morrison. He doesn't get much hype because he only homered twice in his time in the Majors, but he was an on-base machine (just as advertised), and actually held the Major League record for longest on-base streak at 42 games in a row. He wasn't around long enough to have much of an argument for ROY, but I'm a big fan.

Seems like there's really no question that Heyward and Posey are on the front runners this year, probably followed by Garcia. Not sure how you can put Bumgarner up there without putting Daniel Hudson in front of him. Hudson was much better than Bumgarner this year in every way. Hell, I'd put Strasburg ahead of Bumgarner too. What he accomplished in a small period of time was greater than most rookie pitchers' seasons.

And one last wildcard name I'll throw out is Jonny Venters. 79 appearances of relief for ATL, more Ks than innings pitched and a 1.95 ERA.

My top picks would look like this (purposeful separation between the top two, as they are the obvious 1 & 2 this year the way I see it):

1a. Buster Posey
1b. Jason Heyward

3. Jaime Garcia
4. Gaby Sanchez
5. Mike Stanton
6. Jonny Venters
7. Starlin Castro
8. Daniel Hudson
9. Stephen Strasburg
10. Madison Bumgarner

Love Morrison as well, but the bolded is what I've got a question about. IMO, who cares "if" the guy is gonna be a star. This didn't dissuade voters from voting for Bob Hamelin and Pat Listach. The award should be about the rookie who had the best overall "rookie" season. Gaby is tops for me.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
packbusta said:
I'm wondering how much the results get skewed by the writers voting for Strasburg...

:?:
He will get 0 votes. Instead things have changed since last year, voters (Baseball Writers' Association of America) have to place their top 3 in order. And sincerly, if there is one guy who vote for Stras, please fire him, he doesn't belong to write anymore.

My top 5:

Posey
Heyward
Castro
Garcia
Sanchez

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I think it's Buster over Heyward, outside of walks, which affect OPS, Buster would be on the same pace to match Heyward's numbers if not pass them with over 100 less at bats. They both have 18 HR and Buster is a lot better at not striking out. Plus Buster is a catcher in control of a pitching staff, which in the month of September had a sub 2.00 era as a staff. Would be a shame if Posey lost out becasue he didn't play te entire season.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

1a. Buster Posey
1b. Jason Heyward

3. Jaime Garcia
4. Gaby Sanchez
5. Mike Stanton
6. Jonny Venters
7. Starlin Castro
8. Daniel Hudson
9. Stephen Strasburg
10. Madison Bumgarner

Venters love? Nice! Guy has been a stud this year.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Bumgarner in 18 starts compiled a 3.00 ERA and his record should be better than it is. Only reason I hav ehim high is tha he came up big in september to help the Giants make the playoffs.

I didn't notice Dan Hudson stats in addition.

strasburg should not be in the ROY AT ALL. That doesn't take away what he did and is capable of

Wes

OG
Administrator
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

I can't imagine that's what you meant to say.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
LLWesMan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

Maybe for a rookie, I know that Pete Rose and Joe Dimaggio have had longer streaks off the top of my head.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ronfromfresno said:
LLWesMan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

Maybe for a rookie, I know that Pete Rose and Joe Dimaggio have had longer streaks off the top of my head.

I heard that Joe D not only got on base 56 games in a row, but did it with hits in each of those games! :eek:

I was thinking he must have meant record for rookies...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
LLWesMan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Huffamaniac said:

Yes, I mistyped that.. he held the Major League record for longest on-base streak this year at 42 games in a row.

The all time record for on-base streak is held by Ted Williams at 84 games in 1949.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
55_marlins_sp said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3cydbbrw]
Huffamaniac said:

1a. Buster Posey
1b. Jason Heyward

3. Jaime Garcia
4. Gaby Sanchez
5. Mike Stanton
6. Jonny Venters
7. Starlin Castro
8. Daniel Hudson
9. Stephen Strasburg
10. Madison Bumgarner

Love Morrison as well, but the bolded is what I've got a question about. IMO, who cares "if" the guy is gonna be a star. This didn't dissuade voters from voting for Bob Hamelin and Pat Listach. The award should be about the rookie who had the best overall "rookie" season. Gaby is tops for me.[/quote:3cydbbrw]

I think you misinterpreted my post because I agree with you...whether or not a guy will be a superstar or a complete bust for the remainder of his career has nothing to do with the ROY voting. I only said the part you bolded because I think that may be part of the reason he is so underrated: because most people (myself included) don't think he will be a superstar. I think he will be a solid regular, if not above average.

But that doesn't and shouldn't take away from the tremendous season he has had. To not include him in ROY top 10 is wrong.

For comparison's sake:

Jason Heyward hit .277 with 18 homers and 72 RBI
Gaby Sanchez hit .273 with 19 homers and 85 RBI

Sanchez played in just 9 more games than Heyward.

Members online