Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I wish MLB and Topps were in my store today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
My oh my what a day of ranting. If only the above two entities were in my store today, man whould they really see whats going on in the hobby and what collectors really think.

My store was packed, litterally, from nearly opening to closing with almost all my SERIOUS hard core collectors, all at once. Rarely do they all come in and hang out at the exact same time for the entire day.

These are the guys who "know" whats worth opening and whats garbage. These are the guys who keep the hobby going and know the ins and outs. These are the guys who arent afraid to spend.....but they know what not to piss their money on.

If the above two entites were there they would have gotten an earfull of rants, complaints and suggestions from everyone regarding how dreadfull every mid/high end product has been this year.

Basically, in terms of mid/ higher end Baseball, my shelves are basicaly bare of any 2010 boxes. Why? Because theres really only shat out there, like Ginter, like Chicle, like 206, Tribute. Throw in the over priced Finest and the absolute crap of them all TTT and really, theres nothing to stock, ESPECIALLY since Chrome and EEE are coming tomorrow (thats another big reason).

The products I mentioned above, I couldnt GIVE THEM AWAY to my customers, thats how bad everyone has thought they have been. The remaining stock I had (for a long time), I moved at cost.

So with this being said, all the guys today were craving something....ANYTHING.....good to open. Im not kidding when I say this, but they were standing at the counter GAZING at the shelves as if they were hoping the Baseball card fairy would come and deposit Bowman Chrome or EEE or Topps Chrome a day early.

So how bad did it get? One of my guys had me hold his case of 2007 BC since it released and he told the guys they can have the boxes at $54 per just so they can have something good to open. It was like feeding the lions, they dove in three way box binges. I mean not only do I feel bad my guys have nothing good to open but it sure hurts my business too.

On top of that, I had another collector come in looking for something mid range to open. But he doesnt like prospect or retro products. Well then I had nothing for him. Throw in low end basic stuff and thats all Topps puts out that isnt $50-$300 per pack.

Thank goodness TC and EEE are this week. Imagine that, a week, no MONTH, with TWO releases.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
What was Topps thinking with this release calendar?

Do they and MLB think a shrinking hobby can drum up its own interest in the winter months?

Luckily, our shop has a big basketball following and Panini seems to satisfy.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
the landscape in the next few years at least, is NOT going to change.

so, you can either get them into the other sports, or start stocking
your selves with stuff you know they want to rip, regardless of year of release

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
It is simply amazing all the bitching baseball card collectors do. We are spoiled rotten with all the choices put out and yet people will never ever stop complaining. It just makes them happy to bitch, so bitch on!

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
Topps doesnt make a good high end product for baseball.. so the high end buyers stick to the other sports.. its pretty simple... topps chrome isnt the answer either.. its not that great of a product.. you wont be able to give it away soon... elite will be decent.. im just not impressed with anything topps has done since new ownership

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
In my shop, so far the only real "dog" has been Topps 206. I've sold out of everything else relatively easily. I only have 3 boxes of TT left on my shelf, but I'm reloading on that next week. Hell, I'm still selling Topps Series 2 Jumbos. And Topps Finest FOOTBALL has been absolutely ON FIRE.

I really only have 2 guys who are baseball-only, and they've both been hitting TT pretty hard.

It's pretty amazing what a more positive attitude can do for sales sometimes. :)

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
matchpenalty said:
It is simply amazing all the bitching baseball card collectors do. We are spoiled rotten with all the choices put out and yet people will never ever stop complaining. It just makes them happy to bitch, so bitch on!

There is definitely a lot of bitching but on the same hand our choices have been drastically reduced this year.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Ive been collecting for 30+ years, and almost everything you described I am clueless on...
Sounds like a far different "hobby" than I knew of as kid/teen. Last pack I bought was at a 7-11 with a quarter snagged from the closest fountain. And I never opened a pack and said "wow, this card's worth big $$", ... cards were for fun, not an investment.

Then again I never paid for an autograph either..... DiMaggio, Mays, Mantle, McCovey, Gomez, etc. all free

No wonder kids are more into video games, computers, and skateboards nowadays... and less into baseball.

Maybe Topps should go back to actually selling "real baseball cards"....... with an actual product..... ie gum, and for a price a 10 year old can afford.

"A true collector card was always issued FREE with a product or service of some kind"..... Jefferson Burdick of the ACC

The Hobby is ruined IMO and has been for 29 years now.

jubei777

Aug 7, 2008
T-206 and Chicle are still hanging around my LCS. Luckily we convinced the owner to not buy max which saved his butt. Unfortunately he loaded up on 5 cases of Topps Chrome so we'll see how fast those go out the door. For the flippers, it doesn't look too hot but some of the mainstream collectors are pretty happy with their breaks so far.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
It still makes zero sense how any human being could be stupid enough to think that handing Topps a monopoly would improve and help grow the hobby.

Jul 30, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
any shot your customers can step up and collect something other then baseball?

They all do but they were craving Baseball today. Football is my second best mover and theres no shortage of nice to great higher end products out there because, gasp, theres competition and one of them is Donruss.

I sold out of all The Cup today as well but they were craving Baseball.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
1260574542518.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
011873 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

They all do but they were craving Baseball today. Football is my second best mover and theres no shortage of nice to great higher end products out there because, gasp, theres competition and one of them is Donruss.

glad to hear that they collect other sports.

so your balancing act as a store owner going forward is to have stuff on the shelves that you know they will like to rip. Thats your job. coming to FCB and bitching about it isnt going to make Topps listen or change.

time to get over the fact that Topps is the only MLB game in town, and thats how its going to be. that is not going to change any time soon.

UD and DLP have both given up about ANY chance at returning in the future because of their shinanagans their last years with MLB.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Are you kidding?

I mean, as a card shop, you have absolutely NO right to complain about this.

Topps and the MLB are doing YOU a favor. Don't forget that. You should be glad that you even get one single product a year.

Empty shelves with NO customer interest in your remaining 2010 products? Topps didn't put a gun to your head to pre-order these products four months before it was released.

You need to take control of your customers and tell them to stop whining. Topps will tell you when they will release a product, then they will tell you they will release it a month late.

It's your job to keep you customers at bay. You need to force them to buy some topps attax packs before they can buy any other new products.

I can't believe the nerve of some shop employees/owners these days- you should have your Topps privileges revoked.

And, thanks bro for your wonderful post ;)

Jul 30, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
011873 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

glad to hear that they collect other sports.

so your balancing act as a store owner going forward is to have stuff on the shelves that you know they will like to rip. Thats your job. I LOVE MY JOB, WOULDNT TRADE IT AND NOT COMPLAING ABOUT IT. coming to FCB and bitching about it isnt going to make Topps listen or change. NOR IS SITTING ON MY ASS IN A DARK CORNER ROCKING BCK AND FORTH. IVE DONE ALL I CAN TO GET MY THOUGHTS TO TOPPS AND FORGIVE ME I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BASEBALL DISCUSSION BOARD.

time to get over the fact that Topps is the only MLB game in town, and thats how its going to be. that is not going to change any time soon. SO I GUESS I SHOULD JUST ACCEPT THAT AND LOSE MY GUYS AND OTHERS WITHOUT A FIGHT. AWESOME.

UD and DLP have both given up about ANY chance at returning in the future because of their shinanagans their last years with MLB.
UD WONT BE BACK FULL TIME BUT DONRUSS WILL

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
It still makes zero sense how any human being could be stupid enough to think that handing Topps a monopoly would improve and help grow the hobby.

In a greedy society, $$$ speaks more volumes than common sense. Either Topps paid a great $$$ premium for exclusivity or UD shot themselves in the foot by not paying their licensing fees in full leaving it up to Topps to fairly easily become the only player in town.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
ThoseBackPages said:

What do you mean by "step up"?

I use the term "step up" as in do something you don't really want to do for the betterment of others....friends, coworkers, family...ect.

So these guys should "step up" and buy something they have no interest in?

Sorry if I misunderstood...

Members online

Latest posts