Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game Used...I don't think so....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am glad I got out of the gameused cards a few years ago..... :twisted: :twisted:

The June guilty plea of sports marketing agent Mike Ornstein to federal mail fraud and conspiracy charges involves the resale of Super Bowl tickets at a hefty profit, but sports collectors are more concerned with another part of his activities.

Ornstein, a former Oakland Raiders employee who had a close association with Reggie Bush and was lauded in a book written by Saints coach Sean Payton last winter, pleaded guilty to federal charges four months ago.

In court papers obtained by Sports Collectors Daily, Ornstein admitted to profiting from the sale Super Bowl tickets obtained from people who, “through the course of their employment,” had been able to buy them at face value during a period of years from 1998 to 2006. It’s likely some of those sources of tickets were employed by NFL teams, a proposition that could mean trouble for them.

However, those court papers also include an admission by Ornstein that from 2000 to 2003, he was able to purchase dozens of authentically-made NFL player jerseys from a Berlin, Wisconsin manufacturer and falsely represent them to the collectors market as game worn.

Ornstein and some unnamed individuals who federal officials say were also involved, faxed false certificates of authenticity to buyers. The COAs originated in northern Ohio.

An unnamed trading card company wound up with some of the jerseys between 2000 and 2002 and cut them up for use on its cards. The court papers do not indicate whether the cards were distributed and if so, which brands or specific cards were affected.
Ornstein was accused of pocketing over $100,000 as part of the “game worn” trading card scheme which included jerseys Ornstein claimed had been used by members of the Cleveland Browns and other NFL players.

Between December of 2002 and February of 2003, Ornstein also sold or consigned 45 jerseys represented as having been worn in the 2002 season to an unnamed sports memorabilia auction company. Again, Ornstein and his associates provided false COAs. The government’s case indicates 20 of the jerseys sold for a price of over $30,000. The fate of those jerseys isn’t revealed in the court documents.

The federal judge ordered Ornstein to pay the government $350,000 in restitution for the ticket and memorabilia scheme. He’s paid over $100,000 thus far.

He is scheduled to be sentenced in January. The case remains under investigation.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Vintage I trust even worse. So many crappy big name/altered/name switches it goes on and on. Go read game used universe of all old crappy jerseys sold in auctions. How anyone puts any stock into a swatch on a card is beyond me. If you buy game used, buy full game used. The card gimmick is so flawed, how anyone spends big money on those always amazes me.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here's my latest Full GU Jersey I got from the M's Charity auction last month.. It's a full game used uniform.. Hat/Jersey/Pants.. You could bid on them, min bid $100 or just BIN for $250.. These have a COA from MLB..

cleveland.jpg

wem1472

May 22, 2010
Agreed. Most game used cards are junk anyways. I don't see what the big attraction is to them short of patch cards. Who cares that you got a white 1" x 1" piece of an Albert Pujols jersey? It's a $3 card.

The value comes from the low #'s and the nice patches. I know I can't even get $1 each for many game used cards. Hell, a lot of 13 game used and autos I listed last week sold for a little over $11.00 and some of those were even #'d. LOL

This whole business is super shady. For collectors, it really sucks, especially if whether or not the jersey piece on the card is real or not means something to you. I personally could care less. I keep/collect so little for myself now anyway. Maybe someday the market will turn back to the base card (I know, yeah, right!).

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
One thing is I see on gameused universe site. Is a lot of game used card collectors are switching over and just getting full stuff. Many don't even realize they can buy the stuff fairly easy and it's not too expensive. Always funny seeing people think buying a game used jersey would cost several hiundred to thousands of dollars. Not realizing many sell from team sources ect for 100-200 range. Game used mlb authenticated babseball even from milestone games can sell in $25-$50 range. Bats can also be found real cheap.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
matchpenalty said:
One thing is I see on gameused universe site. Is a lot of game used card collectors are switching over and just getting full stuff. Many don't even realize they can buy the stuff fairly easy and it's not too expensive. Always funny seeing people think buying a game used jersey would cost several hiundred to thousands of dollars. Not realizing many sell from team sources ect for 100-200 range. Game used mlb authenticated babseball even from milestone games can sell in $25-$50 range. Bats can also be found real cheap.

Its not because people dont know, its because its not what they collect, they collect GU cards and not full GU pieces.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Also, if it came out that the 2002 Leaf Certified cards were not GU, it became common knowledge... and then you threw a Rickey Henderson Mirror Emerald Bat card on ebay... it would sell for the same amount as it would if people still thought it was GU.

What I mean to say is, player collectors aren't buying the card because of the little piece of material anyway... they are buying the card to have as many different cards of their player as possible.

Look at the manufactured patches. People know they aren't real. And they still buy them...

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Oh I know, some just love the card aspect and game used piece is secondary. They just like look. Cool for them.

I loved the thread on T206 Mantle cut auto, where everyone just thought it was worst thing ever. How could they only have half his auto on card...blah..blah...blah. But I wonder how many of those had 1/1000 of a game used card and just ohh and ahh over some patch card. It's beauty of this hobby, something for everyone.

Members online

Latest posts