Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jordan Swagerty/Magic Johnson Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
What's up with these? I know that Panini screwed up and put Magic's auto on Jordan's cards but the ones with the ASU logo...what was Magic thinking signing that card???

Yes, I know, he's getting paid so he will sign "anything" for them but doesn't he stop and think that doesn't make sense??

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
Probably had him sign the cloth first then the signed cloth was put with the rest of the card(So he never actually saw the final card with the wrong picture)

Jul 30, 2009
Just imagine all the possible directions this could go.

1. Donruss announces that they will exchange the error for a real swagerty auto.
Obviously, very very few will do that but what if he becomes a hot prospect after the exchange period expires and only a few collectors actually took Donruss up on their offer. Imagine how much those would be?

2. Jordan admits that HE actually did sign his cards/ stickers but instead of using his auto, he forged Magic's auto because thats his idol and he didnt mean any harm, just a way to commemorate him.

3. Bowman Chrome issues an auto for him in 2011 and for the first time ever, an EEE auto is worth more than that player's BC auto.

4. Alot of collectors will be getting Swagerty auto stickers in their 10/11 National Treasures NBA packs with Magic's image.

Jul 30, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
011873, you have a REALLY vivid imagination

I know, just playing conspiracy theory with one of them.

But there was a situation "similar" to this with 2002 Prospect Premieres, although it didnt involve and auto.

The Matt Pender card pictured Granderson and nearly no one knows that an actual corrcted version of him was produced. I sold many of them for good money because of the rarity.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
mannyramirezcollec said:
Probably had him sign the cloth first then the signed cloth was put with the rest of the card(So he never actually saw the final card with the wrong picture)

Since it has the team logo on the cloth and its a school other than Michigan State, still doesnt add up.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
They are wasting the $50 it cost them to have Magic sign the sticker versus the $1 it cost them for Swagerty to do it.

That's an expensive goof for them, especially if they messed up all the autos - it cost them $40,000 for what would have only cost $800. Someone is gonna get fired.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
mancini79 said:
I contacted Panini last week in regards to an explanation, still haven't heard a reply.
This is because they have not found out why this happened yet. But they may never tell the public how or why this happened.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Panini got back to me and they have a press release on their main page:

[Officials have confirmed that the wrong autographs were inadvertently applied to the cards of pitching prospect Jordan Swagerty.

"It's an extremely unfortunate - but honest - mistake and we can't apologize enough to collectors," says Panini's Scott Prusha. "What we can do, however, is what we always do: Atone for our mistake and make things right for collectors."

To make up for the mistake, Panini will replace the error version of Jordan Swagerty's rookie card with the correct version. In addition, Panini will be offering collectors who send in the correct card an exclusive Elite Extra Edition card of top-prospect Manny Machado.]

Now the question. Do you turn in a Magic auto for a Swagerty auto and an exclusive Machado card? I would say not many people will turn them in, thus making the Swagerty and Machado in short supply. Or are the corrected Swagerty auto's serial numbered to the original amount? I personally would keep the Magic auto.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
mancini79 said:
Panini got back to me and they have a press release on their main page:

[Officials have confirmed that the wrong autographs were inadvertently applied to the cards of pitching prospect Jordan Swagerty.

"It's an extremely unfortunate - but honest - mistake and we can't apologize enough to collectors," says Panini's Scott Prusha. "What we can do, however, is what we always do: Atone for our mistake and make things right for collectors."

To make up for the mistake, Panini will replace the error version of Jordan Swagerty's rookie card with the correct version. In addition, Panini will be offering collectors who send in the correct card an exclusive Elite Extra Edition card of top-prospect Manny Machado.]

Now the question. Do you turn in a Magic auto for a Swagerty auto and an exclusive Machado card? I would say not many people will turn them in, thus making the Swagerty and Machado in short supply. Or are the corrected Swagerty auto's serial numbered to the original amount? I personally would keep the Magic auto.

That is a great question. To me it all depends on what this Machado is?????

skrip

Members online

Latest posts