Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

new scanner help>>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I had to get a new scanner since my ceiling destroyed my old one :x

Anyway it's an epson v330 and any card that is a refractor this is happening:

5058845363_cd643bc4cb_m.jpg

Any tricks to fix this?

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Lancemountain said:
shuedini said:
I think the reason you're getting those lines is because your scanner is LED based.

so no hope for that to be fixed, eh?
Not unless someone here knows a good trick. The way I got around this was by purchasing a new scanner. I got a Canon LiDE scanner and I love it.

No scanner bars in my scans:
2004ToppsChromeBlackRefractors.jpg

Looking at the picture of my card...I believed I scanned it while it was in a penny sleeve and a toploader. You might give that a shot. :)

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Lancemountain said:
Actually, I purchased mine several years ago. This is the one I've got: Canon CanoScan LiDE 600F
Looks like it can be had for rather cheap now. I originally purchased this to scan in some film negatives I had sitting around. I later found out that it does a nice job of scanning cards as well. Now if I could just figure out a way to scan the fronts and backs at the same time. :D

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
There are two main requirements when buying any scanner for baseball cards:

1. CCD (Charge Coupled Device) scanning element. This is the most common scanning element, but it is more expensive than the CIS (Contact Image Sensor) element. You need this because the CIS only scans what is touching the glass, which is fine for cards in toploaders, but produces noise (fuzziness) when trying to scan cards in slabs. If you see blurry writing on a BGS slab, you can be assured that the scanner is a CIS scanner. Make sure the element on your scanner is a CCD.

2. Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp as a light source (or Xenon gas Cold Cathode Lamp, but this is considerably more expensive). Some scanners use a series of LED lamps as a light source, but if you scan a refractor, you will see streaks of brightness where the lamps moved across the surface of the card, as the OP showed in the first post. From Epson's website on the v330 scanner:

ReadyScan™ LED Technology
This energy-efficient light source uses less power, while ensuring greater productivity. And, there's no warmup time required. Best of all, with no mercury included, this LED technology is better for the environment than traditional cold cathode fluorescent lamps.

This is all true, but it will also produce streaks on ANY reflective surface being scanned.

Sorry, but there is no way to eliminate those streaks from your images with that scanner.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Hi I'm actually looking for a scanner too, can anyone recommend one that will work well for cards, I keep reading the descriptions of the scanner but can't tell if the are the CCD or CID type of scanner. Thanks,

Mike

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
mmier118 said:
Hi I'm actually looking for a scanner too, can anyone recommend one that will work well for cards, I keep reading the descriptions of the scanner but can't tell if the are the CCD or CID type of scanner. Thanks,

Mike

HP G3110

Slabs
2003-013.jpg

Regular Cards
UDBlack12.jpg

Refractors
2010-ToppsPlatinum-3.jpg

Supers
2009-072.jpg

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
thanks that's the first scanner I've seen with both the CCD and the non LED light. You really have to dig on the details to find out if they have that I've found.

Members online