Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's International League Top 20 Prospects List (POLL ADDED)

Who is the Better Hitter?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thanks to Exposfan for giving out this info ahead of the website.
EDIT: Poll added. There's little doubt Santana is the better catcher between him and Montero, but who is the better hitter? Vote above.

International League Top 20 Prospects

1 Carlos Santana
2 Jeremy Hellickson
3 Aroldis Chapman
4 Jesus Montero
5 Freddie Freeman
6 Zach Britton
7 Desmond Jennings
8 Pedro Alvarez
9 Ivan Nova
10 Daniel Hudson
11 Brent Morel
12 Yonder Alonso
13 Eduardo Nunez
14 Jake Arrieta
15 Brad Lincoln
16 Jose Tabata
17 Ryan Kalish
18 Wilson Ramos
19 Andy Oliver
20 Carlos Carrasco

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Re: BA's International League Top 20 Prospects List

FREDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

so I am not the only one who thinks that CARLOS Santana is Better than jesus Montero? Good to see, good to see......

skrip

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008

ballerskrip said:
so I am not the only one who thinks that CARLOS Santana is Better than jesus Montero? Good to see, good to see......

skrip
its cause jesus is A LOT better

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

jetsrule4 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip
its cause jesus is A LOT better

Why, cause you said so? I will take the words of the MANAGERS and SCOUTS from that league on who is better. Thanks though.

skrip

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009

montero is the next pedro alvarez. only pudgier. to me he's becoming more Mike Napoli than Frank Thomas.
Santana is incredible

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

BA's John Wagner is one serious Santana homer.

JAYPERS (IL): Had they qualified for your list, would Strasburg and Brown have ranked #s 1 & 2, respectively?

John Wagner: Strasburg: #1 or #2 with Santana. Brown: no better than #3. That's how much people like Carlos Santana. Of those who saw both, the preferences for Strasburg and Santana were split. Another one of those where I'll let you pick first and be happy with the guy you don't pick.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

ballerskrip said:

skrip

Carlos Santana is better than Jesus Montero is right now. Montero is also 3 full years younger and with the ability to be the superior player.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010

DaveH said:
montero is the next pedro alvarez. only pudgier. to me he's becoming more Mike Napoli than Frank Thomas.
Santana is incredible

Pedro ended 2010 on a tear and won NL Player of the Week the week before the season ended. He also had about a .950 OPS for Sept and Oct. I would think if Montero mimicked those numbers he would be quite special.

Also having Brad Lincoln above Jose Tabata (or even on this list) is really retarded.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

phillyfan0417 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Carlos Santana is better than Jesus Montero is right now. Montero is also 3 full years younger and with the ability to be the superior player.

True, but when judging any prospect you are taking into account age, etc. They like Carlos Sanatana as the best prospect, which means, age, league, etc etc etc are taken into consideration already. Or am I missing something?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

BowmanChromeAddict said:
Why didn't Brown qualify for the list?

Baseball America's League Top 20 lists are generated from consultations with scouts and league managers. To qualify for consideration, a player must have spent at least one-third of the season in a league. Position players must have one plate appearance for every league game. Pitchers must pitch 1/3 inning for every league game, and relievers have to have made at least 20 appearances in full-season leagues and 10 in short-season ones.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008

ballerskrip said:
phillyfan0417 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

True, but when judging any prospect you are taking into account age, etc. They like Carlos Sanatana as the best prospect, which means, age, league, etc etc etc are taken into consideration already. Or am I missing something?

Skrip Your anti Yankee sentiment is fierce. if Monteros catching was a tad better he would be number 1 on any list on whats left after the promotions this year. The kid is working hard on catching. If his bat is as special AS THE SCOUTS have been raving about and in the NY market skies the limit man.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

From BA's Chat:

Dan (Tennessee): John, How would you compare Santana, Montero and Wilin Rosario as catching prospects based on their bats and gloves / arms?

John Wagner: Dan, I don't know enough about Rosario to compare him, but I got a lot of feedback on the other two (and Wilson Ramos of Washington ... can I include him instead?). Everyone had Santana in front of everyone — and I mean every hitter in the league, not just the guys I've mentioned here — with the bat. Santana's bat is special. In terms of catching ability, Ramos is the leader; he's fine-tuning his catching, learning little things like calling games, dealing with pitchers, etc. Santana has made big progress behind the plate but still has rough edges. Montero is rough ... I had a number of managers and scouts tell me he'll have to find another position to play every day.

OH, and THIS

John Wagner: All I can tell you is this: EVERY PERSON I TALKED TO MENTIONED CARLOS SANTANA AS THE IL'S TOP PROSPECT. Sorry to shout, but some people aren't hearing it.

And one more

Avi (New Jersey): Who's a better hitter. Carlos Santana or Jesus Montero?

John Wagner: Santana. Santana. Santana.

AND MY QUESTION

Skrip (Chicago): Thanks for the Chat. Carlos Santana appears to have an amazing future ahead of him. The IL Scouts and Managers say he is the best prospect in the league, but does he have the best future? If you could have either Santana or Montero, who would you choose and why? Thanks for taking my question.

John Wagner: This has to be the last question ... thanks for your participation! If you haven't noticed, IL managers and scouts like Carlos Santana a lot. If I could have either Santana or Montero, I'd take Santana in a heartbeat. Santana's swing is better (Montero's hitting success is based on hand-eye coordination, not perfect swing mechanics) and I think Santana is gifted in a lot of other areas, such as pitch recognition. At the plate, there's no comparison. Santana isn't a Gold Glover, but Montero (RIGHT NOW) can't play the position at the major-league level. He might down the road, but he just can't right now.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky

Montero's bat > any other bat in the minors. Sorry, it's not really much of a contest to me. I'll take Mr. Wagners opinion just as that, an opinion. There are other, more respected staffers down at the BA offices.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008

bballcardkid said:
Montero's bat > any other bat in the minors. Sorry, it's not really much of a contest to me. I'll take Mr. Wagners opinion just as that, an opinion. There are other, more respected staffers down at the BA offices.

Debatable for sure with the bats but Santana is clearly the better all around player. Hope he knee is ok though. There are many scouts who believe Monteros bat is special.

Latest posts