Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Bryce Harper in the AFL (For Now)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Bryce Harper Not Headed to Arizona Fall League -- Not Yet, Anyway

10/11/2010 8:08 PM ET By FanHouse Staff

The Arizona Fall League season begins Tuesday, but Bryce Harper won't be taking part -- at least initially.

Nationals player development director Doug Harris told the Washington Post this year's top overall draft pick will head home to Las Vegas to recuperate after his stint in the Florida Instructional League, which wrapped up Monday. There is a chance he could be added to the AFL roster later.

"This is the first time he's really been away from home," Harris said. He needs to go home."

Harper turned 18 just 10 days ago, so there might be something to that. Whether he goes to the AFL or not, the Nationals were pleased with the outfielder's first work as a professional. According to Harris, Harper showed progress as the Instructional League season unfolded.

"He's really done a nice job making adjustments," Harris said.

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
Makes sense, and as a Nats fan I say good. There is too little upside- even if he tears up AFL, are we going to call him up next June at 18? Not like he'd take the team into contention right away.

Let him adjust to life as a professional ball player, hitting pro pitching and playing right field.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Good. no need for him to be there
Why?

Baseball season is over, the kid is 17, he can use a rest. Especially since Straus is dead. wise move by Washington

the AFL is pretty overrated. i understand its a haven for card geeks, but Chip Cannon for christs' sake lol

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
ThoseBackPages said:
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Why?

Baseball season is over, the kid is 17, he can use a rest. Especially since Straus is dead. wise move by Washington

the AFL is pretty overrated. i understand its a haven for card geeks, but Chip Cannon for christs' sake lol
Kids his age are still playing ball all over the country.

How is it overrated? It is what it is, a fall league to keep working on stuff. Players go there to work on pitches, swing mechanics, etc.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Why?

How is it overrated? It is what it is, a fall league to keep working on stuff. Player's go there to work on pitches, swing mechanics, etc.

i feel that the numbers that come out of the AFL have way too much stock placed in them. Sure there are other kids his age playing, but thats because they NEED to work on things. Bryce needs to improve for sure, but he also needs a mental break

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
ThoseBackPages said:
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Hallsgator said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Why?

How is it overrated? It is what it is, a fall league to keep working on stuff. Player's go there to work on pitches, swing mechanics, etc.

i feel that the numbers that come out of the AFL have way too much stock placed in them. Sure there are other kids his age playing, but thats because they NEED to work on things. Bryce needs to improve for sure, but he also needs a mental break
Maybe by the media, but when was the last time a team promoted a guy to the Majors based off his AFL numbers?

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The AFL is a finishing school for players likely to be called up in the next couple of years.

If you are a top prospect putting up big numbers there, it means you are getting to the Major Leagues sooner than later.

If you are a so-so prospect putting up big numbers there, it probably means you are beating up on guys who are tired.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
He had the summer off, then played in the National's fall instructional league in Sept...and he needs a break?

Give ME a break.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Reports from the instructional league is that he isn't ready for the AFL. A 17 year old kid(no matter how talented) playing against 20-24 year old top prospects with full season experience isn't the best way to make your pro debut.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

The Arizona Fall League season begins Tuesday, but Bryce Harper won't be taking part -- at least initially.

Nationals player development director Doug Harris told the Washington Post this year's top overall draft pick will head home to Las Vegas to recuperate after his stint in the Florida Instructional League, which wrapped up Monday. There is a chance he could be added to the AFL roster later.

"This is the first time he's really been away from home," Harris said. He needs to go home."

Harper turned 18 just 10 days ago, so there might be something to that. Whether he goes to the AFL or not, the Nationals were pleased with the outfielder's first work as a professional. According to Harris, Harper showed progress as the Instructional League season unfolded.

He was born October 16th from everything I can see... checked 3 sites including the Nats own Bryce Harper page... Born: 10/16/1992

How did he turn 18 10 days ago when he hasnt even turned 18 yet.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
P_Manning 18 said:
Jaypers said:

He was born October 16th from everything I can see... checked 3 sites including the Nats own Bryce Harper page... Born: 10/16/1992

How did he turn 18 10 days ago when he hasnt even turned 18 yet.
Bryce Harper, the most interesting man (kid) in the world.

Members online

Latest posts