Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WHO’S GONNA BE THE BIG HYPE HEADING INTO SPRING?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
It happens every year. Some rookie, or prospect, or veteran who had an amazing 2nd half gets noticed, and the buzz starts.Sometimes it’s because a lesser known minor leaguer is named the top prospect for their organization, or in all of baseball. (This is less common now, as the internet has spread the knowledge out there for anyone to find it).Sometimes it’s a dominating performance in the AFL that launches a sleeper or even already established prospect into the stratosphere.Sometimes the fantasy baseball magazines come out and point out that player Z hit .330 with 15 homers in the second half of 2009 and you should grab him in 2010 because he’s going to have a breakout year.Sometimes a player is traded in the offseason from obscurity to a World Series caliber team, and the possibilities seem limitless.Sometimes it’s when a prospect or young player appears to have the lock on a job in spring training and it seems like they’re destined to become the future star of the franchise.I have several guesses for these possibilities, and I’m wondering which ones you’re anticipating or hoping for, or flat out hyping up ?I’ll share my thoughts in a bit as a means of bumping this topic over the day, but I’d love to hear if you have any.  (Topnotchsy, this definitely includes you).So please, share your thoughts, feel free to make your case (hype your ‘spect), and uncloud the crystal ball.WHO’S GONNA BE THE BIG HYPE HEADING INTO SPRING? 

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
Jon Singleton
Singleton had an amazing month and a half...and then nothing else.

Before we anoint him with any more hype, let's see what he can do for at least half of a season.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I see Montero being a big deal as a top prospect with potential to make the Majors out of ST.

Besides that I think more and more people will hop (back) on the Mike Trout and Wil Myers trains as the season draws nearer. Not only are these two both young, big time prospects, but their card situations are close to ideal for the buying market as both have chrome autos plus some less expensive releases from other brands.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Since I'm a homer, I'll go with 2 Phillies. One predictable, One not.

Domonic Brown - Jayson Werth will be gone. His Starting RF gig will be secured. He'll pop a few light-tower bombs during Spring Training and Heyward-like mania will ensue.

Joe Savery - No longer a pitcher, but a hitter. Savery will draw some attention over the winter with a nice power display in whichever winter league he goes to and during Spring Training he'll really grab the headlines with 4 homeruns in the first week of games and his cards will return from the grave.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jose Bautista

There will be Lance Armstrong reports that he was using PED's and he will be tested constantly. They will finally come to the conclusion that it was just a strong presence of Labatt Blue in his system all season, which led to the power surge. He'll become the spokesman and follow up his 2010 season with 18 HR, but he'll become the Canadian big papi.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Domonic Brown - Jayson Werth will be gone. His Starting RF gig will be secured. He'll pop a few light-tower bombs during Spring Training and Heyward-like mania will ensue.

Joe Savery - No longer a pitcher, but a hitter. Savery will draw some attention over the winter with a nice power display in whichever winter league he goes to and during Spring Training he'll really grab the headlines with 4 homeruns in the first week of games and his cards will return from the grave.

I thought this was real world, not 'if only this could happen so I could move my Joe Savery cards that I've been buying since 2007.'

Carl Crawford will be the most hyped guy this off season, that is a given.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
Jon Singleton

Before we anoint him with any more hype, let's see what he can do for at least half of a season.
[*]

Sounds like Montero last year, 40% great, 60% crap. It is amazing how many board members are invested in this guy, thus they blidnly throw his name out as the best of everything....

skrip

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Bryce Harper - regardless of whether or not he gets invited to MLB spring training with the Nats.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ballerskrip said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
Jon Singleton

[*]

Sounds like Montero last year, 40% great, 60% crap. It is amazing how many board members are invested in this guy, thus they blidnly throw his name out as the best of everything....

skrip

Are you being sarcastic? or serious? I honestly can't tell.

If you're being serious, I completely agree with you.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BowmanChromeAddict said:

You say this because you're loaded up on the latter.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Jeff N. said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Loaded on both, though more loaded on the latter.

I actually believe both are completely possible.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
Jon Singleton

[*]

skrip

And if so, I disagree with both of you.

So many people on FCB are just like the people at BA. They completely forget the big picture.

Ok, Montero had an awful start to 2010. But even while that was happening, wasn't his power tool still a perfect 80? Wasn't he young for Triple-A? And didn't he finish the season as one of the hottest hitters in the Minors?

Bats like Montero's don't come around all that often. Maybe a lot of people who are heavily invested in him are too blinded by their stashes to be able to consider his status as a prospect objectively.

I have one single card of Montero so I can easily say I'm not biased and would still rank him as the top prospect in baseball, other than maybe Bryce Harper.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Jeff N. said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Loaded on both, though more loaded on the latter.

I actually believe both are completely possible.

Perhaps in Darren Daulton's world...

Oh look, it's 11:11...

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
Jon Singleton

[*]

skrip

Adam, I was being 100% serious. It is bordering pathetic at this point.

skrip