Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carl Crawford is officially a Free Agent. Bye Carl & Company

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

With the Ray's losing tonight it is the now the beginning of the end of The career for Carl Crawford is a Tampa Bay Ray. He will easily get a 100 Million Dollar Contract from a team other then Tampa. He will be gone as will probably Pena (don't let the mendoza Line Hit you on the way Out) James "how in the hell did i get the nod in game 2" Sheilds, BJ "i like to live off my 08 Playoff performance " Upton, and most likely Rafael Soriano who will get big dollars from a contender. Yea we will still have Longoria and alot of the young pitchers but the payroll will be cut and i would be shocked if they make it back to the playoffs next year.

So Long Mr. Crawford, and thank you for the autographs you gave me over the years.

September 2007
cc.jpg

August 2009
cc-1.jpg

August 2010
2010AugIP-4.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
losing crawford will hurt, but i really see him being the only one leaving that will hurt.

how hard is it to replace Pena, Upton, Shields, and Soriano? Soriano might be a bit tough but how easy was it to attain him? Maddon is a great coach, they'll be fine. Maddon finds ways to win instead of relying solely on his players talent - a rare commodity in managers these days.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
markakis8 said:
losing crawford will hurt, but i really see him being the only one leaving that will hurt.

how hard is it to replace Pena, Upton, Shields, and Soriano? Soriano might be a bit tough but how easy was it to attain him? Maddon is a great coach, they'll be fine. Maddon finds ways to win instead of relying solely on his players talent - a rare commodity in managers these days.

How hard.....impossible. You can't replace the heart of a team. Pena is the heart, Crawford is the soul. You don't find those type people everyday. The only reason the Rays made it to Game 5 was because of Pena's players only meeting in which he called the team out for becoming prima donnas. He said they needed to remember how they got to be a winning team, and that was fighting and scraping for everything they could get. Tonight they looked bad, they didn't deserve to win, and now the Rays are half the team they were this morning.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Joshua.Roundtree said:
markakis8 said:

How hard.....impossible. You can't replace the heart of a team. Pena is the heart, Crawford is the soul. You don't find those type people everyday. The only reason the Rays made it to Game 5 was because of Pena's players only meeting in which he called the team out for becoming prima donnas. He said they needed to remember how they got to be a winning team, and that was fighting and scraping for everything they could get. Tonight they looked bad, they didn't deserve to win, and now the Rays are half the team they were this morning.
Agree on all counts here. And on the Maddon being a great coach...I like Maddon as much as the next guy, but is he serious with the lineup tonight? Johnson in against a lefty (Johnson is a slouch against anyone), and Shoppach, who was already 0 for the series? The Shoppach one is particularly head-scratching considering Jaso had a solid series in the two games he played. I know he batted under .200 against lefties this year, but he's still one of the few players with pop on that roster. Almost as confusing as Baldelli starting game 1 after only 20 ABs all year.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Dont worry he is coming to Atlanta along with Prince Fielder and Adam Dunn.

1 Crawford - CF
2 Prado - 2B
3 Dunn - LF
4 Fielder - 1B
5 McCann - C
6 Heyward - RF
7 Gonzalez - SS
8 Infante - 3B
9 pitcher

Works for me. Maybe I should send this thread to Frank Wren. Hmmmmmm

~AJ

EDIT: Just realized that is an AWEFUL lot of LH bats in that line-up

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Rays were built to win this year and its probaly going to be a rough two year period of adjustments for the Rays.:

This is possibly your 2011 lineup:

1. Desmond Jennings- RF
2. Ben Zobrist- LF
3. Evan Longoria- 3rd
4. Matt Joyce- DH
5 John Jaso/Kelly Shoppach
6. Bj Upton- CF
7. Dan Johnson- 1st
8. Jason Bartlett- SS
9. Reid Brignac/ Sean Rodriguez- 2nd

This team is losing Pena and Crawford along with Soriano with Chad Qualls, Grant Balfour , Joaquin Benoit,
Randy Choate, Brian Shouse , and Dan Wheeler . Players that dont matter: Rocco Baldelli . Gabe Kapler and Brett Hawpe. Rays will resign Johnson .

Rays could potential have Two Type A Free agents and three Type B netting a total of 7 extra draft picks.

Some people are due a raise or have options:

Willy Aybar- Gone Rays will not pick up option
Jason Bartlett - Anywhere from 4 to 6 which is to much for what a cluster of spilit bats between Brig and Sean will give....
Lance Cormier- Rays will not offer
Matt Garza - Anywhere from 8-12
J.P. Howell - Rays will offer
Dioner Navarro- Rays will let go
Andy Sonnanstine- Rays will let go
B.J. Upton- 5-6 million

Best bet is to get a bat to protect Longoria, trade Shields, bite the bullet with Garza and sign him long term, and hope Durham can provide bullpen help throughout the year.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
BTW, Crawford is not officially a free agent. He has to wait like the rest of the FA crop until after the last out of the World Series.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
19braves77 said:
The Rays were built to win this year and its probaly going to be a rough two year period of adjustments for the Rays.:

This is possibly your 2011 lineup:

1. Desmond Jennings- RF
2. Ben Zobrist- LF
3. Evan Longoria- 3rd
4. Matt Joyce- DH
5 John Jaso/Kelly Shoppach
6. Bj Upton- CF
7. Dan Johnson- 1st
8. Jason Bartlett- SS
9. Reid Brignac/ Sean Rodriguez- 2nd

This team is losing Pena and Crawford along with Soriano with Chad Qualls, Grant Balfour , Joaquin Benoit,
Randy Choate, Brian Shouse , and Dan Wheeler . Players that dont matter: Rocco Baldelli . Gabe Kapler and Brett Hawpe. Rays will resign Johnson .

Rays could potential have Two Type A Free agents and three Type B netting a total of 7 extra draft picks.

Some people are due a raise or have options:

Willy Aybar- Gone Rays will not pick up option
Jason Bartlett - Anywhere from 4 to 6 which is to much for what a cluster of spilit bats between Brig and Sean will give....
Lance Cormier- Rays will not offer
Matt Garza - Anywhere from 8-12
J.P. Howell - Rays will offer
Dioner Navarro- Rays will let go
Andy Sonnanstine- Rays will let go
B.J. Upton- 5-6 million

Best bet is to get a bat to protect Longoria, trade Shields, bite the bullet with Garza and sign him long term, and hope Durham can provide bullpen help throughout the year.

I agree with some of your stuff, but I don't see them running out Dan Johnson as their 1B. Why is a foregone conclusion that Pena is gone?

And with all the pessimism folks are providing, no one is mentioning the rotation TB will likely roll out: David Price, Matt Garza, Wade Davis, Jeremy Hellickson, and Jeff Niemann. They will almost surely trade James Shields in the offseason(he looked bad this year, really), and then guys like Alex Torres, Alex Cobb, Matthew Moore, and others will be waiting in the wings for their chance to start, as well.

The Rays are built such that losing a guy like Crawford is NOT going to drastically effect them. Desmond Jennings will come in, and contribute in his absence, should Crawford not return. He wouldn't be as dynamic as Carl, but does offer a lot of the same things Carl brings to the table.

The hitting isn't likely to be great, but the pitching staff will be right up there with any staff in the AL-and that is what the Rays will be about next year. If guys stay healthy, a rotation of Price, Garza, Davis, Hellickson, and Niemann is pretty scary.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
hail2thevictors said:
Why is a foregone conclusion that Pena is gone?

Because he's terrible and will want to much money/years. He'll probably wind up signing with a weak NL team like the Nats (if Dunn leaves) and attempt to reestablish his value.

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
Joshua.Roundtree said:
markakis8 said:

You really think that was the only reason they made it to game 5? Pep talks are nice and all, but, this isnt football.

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
Yanksfan said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
markakis8 said:

You really think that was the only reason they made it to game 5? Pep talks are nice and all, but, this isnt football.

Off topic but Im pretty sure its against the T.O.S to have Daddy Yankee in your avatar

Yanksfan

Oct 13, 2010
mannyramirezcollec said:
Yanksfan said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
markakis8 said:

Off topic but Im pretty sure its against the T.O.S to have Daddy Yankee in your avatar
Really?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Pena's value is shockingly pretty high. The rules that agents use in Arby:

1) the player’s contribution to the club in terms of performance and leadership;

(2) the club’s record and its attendance;

(3) any and all of the player’s “special accomplishments,” including All-Star game appearances, awards won, and postseason performance;

(4) the salaries of comparable players in the player’s service-time class and, for players with less than five years of service, the class one year
ahead of him.

Boras uses 3 year average which would make Pena within the Top 16 easily

If Pena was to to go to arby, averaging his last 3 years would give him a value of 8 million. Rays are not paying that in free agency.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts