Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does this PSA 10 look trimmed to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
It doesn't look trimmed, but it does look off centered
It's tough to see clearly the from the scan, and on first look it does look off-center. However, if you look at the rest of the slab, it was how it was scanned.

All in all, I'd venture to guess it's all on the up and up.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Awful. That card is not Gem Mint. Centering should be the FIRST thing taken into consideration when grading a Gem Mint card. No way that's a 10. Gem Mint cards should be 55/45 MINIMUM. That's like 60/40 at best.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
sportscardtheory said:
Awful. That card is not Gem Mint. Centering should be the FIRST thing taken into consideration when grading a Gem Mint card. No way that's a 10. Gem Mint cards should be 55/45 MINIMUM. That's like 60/40 at best.

PSA Grading Standards

GEM-MT 10: Gem Mint
A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card. Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
leatherman said:
sportscardtheory said:

PSA Grading Standards

GEM-MT 10: Gem Mint
A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card. Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

The eye test alone says that isn't Gem Mint. It's very off-center. 60/40 "at best" isn't good enough to be Gem Mint. I said "at best" because I believe it's probably closer to 61/39 or 62/38. It's clear as day not Gem.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I agree the centering is pretty off.

I'm also concerned about the scan of the back, there is an awful lot of space between the right border of the card and the edge of holder recess. It just seems thinner than usual, or do all psa cards fit very loosely in the recess like that?

Regardless, this is a " I would never buy the card despite the grade" situation for me, just based on the appearance of the card itself not meeting what I would expect a psa 10 to look like, and certainly not at a psa 10 price.

I would, however, take a chance at it at a psa 9 price- in fact I could probably find some psa 9's that look better than that.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
There is more space in the case than should br l-r. I bought a Heyward blue auto and came in a one touch. Looked like it had more space on one side just like the Rickey. When i took it out and put against atleast 10 same year autos and every other auto was the same against each other and the Heyward was the same amt. (bout 1/16 inch) short. Sent it back and got a refund. I say trimmed.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
It does look off and any buyer who is in the market for that card will see it too. GL to the seller.

Off centered gem mints in PSA holders screams WIWAG.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
jcmint said:
It does look off and any buyer who is in the market for that card will see it too. GL to the seller.

Off centered gem mints in PSA holders screams WIWAG.
Psa cases are too easy to open w/o any damage. All they would have to do is pop out the real 10 and put in a trimmed one to look sharp and careful crazy glue job. I only 100% trust BGS's slab, but i think Sgc's is a little better than psa.

Members online

Latest posts