Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow! Nolan Ryan is old looking..... :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Watching the Rangers last night has me feeling old too...

It's hard to believe that was the same guy 17 years ago throwing high heat! My god, has it been 17 years? :?

That interview with him last night, just outside the locker room has me spiraling in to a mini mid life crysis........

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
About 5 years ago had the opportunity to be Nolan Ryan's and his daughter's server while I was working at Outback.

It took me about 15 seconds to realize who it was, but he had already started to look old then.

He was super nice and I didn't even tell him that I recognized him until the end of the dinner and he was kind enough to chit chat with me for about 5 minutes as I regaled him with my tales of listening to him pitch for the Rangers on the radio.

You hate to know your heroes are mortal (I wouldn't say I idolized him growing up, but as an aspiring pitcher in Texas, there was none better), but it seems with age, comes mortality.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
tramers said:
we all what to get old don't we? Hoping to meet him next season
I met him last season in Sept. when the Rangers played the A's. I sat right behind him during the game. Really nice guy.
Got these autos from him :D :D
img038.jpg
img039.jpg
img042.jpg

img036.jpg

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I have the urge to say, you should have had him sign the cards in plain Sharpie, though I am sure it is the experiences of getting him to sign the cards that count.

subpop77 said:
tramers said:
I met him last season in Sept. when the Rangers played the A's. I sat right behind him during the game. Really nice guy.
img038.jpg
img039.jpg
img042.jpg

img036.jpg

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Lars said:
I have the urge to say, you should have had him sign the cards in plain Sharpie, though I am sure it is the experiences of getting him to sign the cards that count.

subpop77 said:
tramers said:
img038.jpg
img039.jpg
img042.jpg

img036.jpg
Thanks Debbie Downer :? . They look better in person and the bottom one looks pretty good.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Anthony K. said:
About 5 years ago had the opportunity to be Nolan Ryan's and his daughter's server while I was working at Outback.

It took me about 15 seconds to realize who it was

Ha, that reminds me of a reader who sent this in to deadspin:

I had a friend that worked in the hotel industry (he worked the front desk) around the time Nolan Ryan was putting a Double A team in our city.
The hotel where he was a frequent guest always bent over backwards for Nolan Ryan because let's face it, Corpus Christi is awful and we don't get any real celebrities (we're known for Selena and that's about it). One day my friend decided to pretend like he had no idea who Nolan Ryan was. Mr. Ryan checked in and this is what the conversation sounded like:
Nolan Ryan: I'm here to check in.
Front Desk: Your name sir?
Nolan Ryan: *getting pissed* Nolan Ryan!?
Front Desk: Which one is the last name sir?
Nolan Ryan: *enraged* RYAN!! NOLAN RYAN!!!
Front Desk: Thank you sir, and what are you in town for?
Nolan Ryan: I'M NOLAN ******* RYAN SON, NOLAN RYAN!!
Front Desk: From the Dairy Queen commercials??

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Anthony K. said:

I had a friend that worked in the hotel industry (he worked the front desk) around the time Nolan Ryan was putting a Double A team in our city.
The hotel where he was a frequent guest always bent over backwards for Nolan Ryan because let's face it, Corpus Christi is awful and we don't get any real celebrities (we're known for Selena and that's about it). One day my friend decided to pretend like he had no idea who Nolan Ryan was. Mr. Ryan checked in and this is what the conversation sounded like:
Nolan Ryan: I'M NOLAN ******* RYAN SON, NOLAN RYAN!!
That's awesome!

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
JoshHamilton said:
Anthony K. said:

Nolan Ryan: I'M NOLAN *censored* RYAN SON, NOLAN RYAN!!

NICE!

And you're right, Corpus is pretty lame. They do have Blackbeards though and the burgers there are pretty bueno.

Members online

Latest posts