Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Giants

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
What changes would you like to see next year?

Over the off season, the giants will most likely have to get two Coordinators. Spags will either go to the Jets, or numerous other teams, and Gillbride will probably end up in Oakland.

Free Agency:
The giants will most likely lose Ward (although, not definitely). It is also possible that Carney and or Feagles to retirement. The giants need to sign a big time receiver. With the key loss of Burress, the giants don't have any deep threats. While Hixon is decent at getting separation deep, him and Eli do not seem to have the greatest connection.

Players who will be ready to go in the 09 season:
Osi Umenyiora- After being placed on IR in August, the Giants utilized Kiwanuka and Tuck as the defensive ends. Even though they played well this year (Kiwanuka should have done better), the Giants defense would be hugely upgraded with Osi back at DE and Kiwanuka back at Outside Linebacker.

Kay Jay Harris- He looked really good in preseason before ******* up his leg. If Ward ends up leaving the giants as anticipated, it will be interested to see how the Giants depth chart will look like at Half Back. One would have to assume it would look like:
1-Jacobs
2-Ward
And, for the 3rd and 4th spot it will be close between Ware and Harris.

Gerris Wilkinson?-Can Wilkinson finally put together an injury free season? Doubtful. He's really talented, so if he could stay healthy, he can really help the Giants defense out next year.

Will Sam Madison return or retire?-Let's face it, he's old and not the same player we saw in Florida. Madison was demoted to second string this year, and with a broken ankle, I'd have to assume he will retire. But, it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Like every year, a huge key is injuries. Can Tuck stay healthy? Will McKenzie's leg be okay for the whole entire season? Can Jacobs stay healthy with all the hits he absorbs? Will Robbins' hands be fine in 09? Those are some concerns for the 2009 New York Giants.

Some other concerns: Can Eli Manning get his act together and play like he did last season and the first 4 games of this one? Will the Giants learn from this year's experience and grow from it? Can the Giants offensive line play like they did for most of the season? Can the Giants Defensive Line apply pressure to quarterbacks like they did this whole year minus the last 6 important weeks? Will the Giants running game be as dominant last year as this year? Can this be Kiwanuka and Ross' break out years?

What do you guys think needs to happen for the Giants to win the Super Bowl?

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Giants need a number one reciever if they want to remain an elite team. I'd trade for Chad Johnson.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
mwashuc06 said:
Giants need a number one reciever if they want to remain an elite team. I'd trade for Chad Johnson.
While, I totally agree with you that they need a number 1 receiver, I think Chad Johnson is not their man. He brings too much on and off the field distractions with his celebrations that are nothing short from annoying, to his new name, Ocho Cinco, etc. If the Giants could somehow land Larry Fitzgerald (does anyone know when he will be a free agent?) they will be my pick to win next year's super bowl. My current pick for next year's super bowl champs is New England, if they can get Brady back (he may have to miss another year), or Indianapolis if Tony Dungy changes his mind and stays another year. The team that wins this year, will not repeat, in my opinion.

Back to the Giants, I want to see Manningham get some playing time next year, along with backup tight end Darcy Johnson. Both of those are good fits for the Giants offense. Maybe the Giants can trade for a better pick in the 09 draft? Just a thought I'm throwing out there.

gamedaygator

Dec 13, 2008
mwashuc06 said:

The last thing you want on your team is Ocho Cinco. He is a cancer. Think T.O. You will have the same problems.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
trademhigh said:
Up for responses.

How about Boldin to the Giants?

Doubtful the Giants will pull off a trade for a WR, unless it is a smaller WR.

And Fitzgerald signed a 4 year extension with AZ, so I think they have him locked up through 2013 or 2014 now, so fat chance he goes ANYWHERE else (and believe me, no one would give up the right amount of talent to get him).

Maybe a trade for TJ Houshmanzedah could work, seeing as he wants out of Cincy. Good enough to be a #1, but not as big a diva as the other two idiots out there (CJ and TO).

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Given Jacobs and his "I will run you over" style, they'd better hold onto ward. Up and down RB's don't last long.

I thought Housh would be a good addition for your club, but I prefer he comes to SF!

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
If the Giants stick with Eli, they need a true #1 receiver. He's not good enough to find the open man. In sticky situations, he needs someone to bail him out because he's just not that good. They also need a legitimate defensive back or two. Phillips has the makings of a solid safety, but outside of him, none of those guys put any fear into opposing QBs/WRs. If the pass rush doesn't get there, that secondary is very vulnerable. Lucky for them, the pass rush has gotten there more often than not.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Anthony K. said:
trademhigh said:
Up for responses.

How about Boldin to the Giants?

Doubtful the Giants will pull off a trade for a WR, unless it is a smaller WR.

And Fitzgerald signed a 4 year extension with AZ, so I think they have him locked up through 2013 or 2014 now, so fat chance he goes ANYWHERE else (and believe me, no one would give up the right amount of talent to get him).

Maybe a trade for TJ Houshmanzedah could work, seeing as he wants out of Cincy. Good enough to be a #1, but not as big a diva as the other two idiots out there (CJ and TO).
Good points. At the time of the post, I was thinking that Boldin would leave, for sure. But, after Fitzgerald stated that he would renegotiate his contract, AKA take a pay cut for Boldin to stay, I truly believe he will remain in AZ for at least next season. I'm thinking maybe a 3 year deal. TJ would definitely be a good acquisition. Lately, he's been a bit of a head case, but I think he just needs a change of scenery, and I think NY would be the perfect place.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
onionring9 said:
Given Jacobs and his "I will run you over" style, they'd better hold onto ward. Up and down RB's don't last long.

I thought Housh would be a good addition for your club, but I prefer he comes to SF!
The Giants would be able to get him for a 2nd round pick, or a 3rd w/a fifth. The Giants have 3 2nd round picks, but they've had the most success in the 2nd round than any other round in the draft, so I would rather give up 2 lower picks for him.

JG

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
KandKCards said:
If the Giants stick with Eli, they need a true #1 receiver. He's not good enough to find the open man. In sticky situations, he needs someone to bail him out because he's just not that good. They also need a legitimate defensive back or two. Phillips has the makings of a solid safety, but outside of him, none of those guys put any fear into opposing QBs/WRs. If the pass rush doesn't get there, that secondary is very vulnerable. Lucky for them, the pass rush has gotten there more often than not.
Trust me, Eli is a Giant for his whole career. He definitely has the talent to be great, but with the exception of the beginning of this season, and the end of last season, he has done NOTHING. Let me say that again, Eli has done nothing with the exception of the end of last season and the beginning of this season. To his credit, he did win a super bowl, but with Burress, all you have to do is throw it up to him, and he'll grab the ball. Any NFL QB is able to do that, well, maybe not Brett Favre. Any time he throws the ball up like that, consider it picked off.

On to your other points. I agree with the fact they need some legit DB's. With Osi back though, that won't be as big of a concern. And, I disagree, Johnson had a great season, and he cannot be overlooked. However, I agree, their secondary is very vulnerable. I hope the Giants can sign a new secondary coach. I also hope their Coordinator will be any good. Who knows? They were much better off signing Capers, but they failed to do that.
"Lucky for them, the pass rush has gotten there more often than not"
This pretty much sums up the Giants season on defense. They were 11-1 when that happened, and they were 1-4 when their pass rush decided to stop getting to the QB. With Osi coming back as I said, I don't think this will be a problem. Hopefully Kiwanuka can develop into a decent linebacker. He definitely has the size, strength, speed, height, talent, and quickness to do so, but he needs to work really hard to become a good back. I think Blackburn will breakout next season. He had some great games this year, and I think next year he will shine. I also think that Webster got snubbed from the pro bowl this season, and he will make it easily next year.

JG

tribefan2427

Nov 19, 2008
Erie, PA
i would rather see boldin come to ny. possible the first round pick for him. i really don't think if plax burres does get off without charges. that the giants should bring him back.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
tribefan2427 said:
i would rather see boldin come to ny. possible the first round pick for him. i really don't think if plax burres does get off without charges. that the giants should bring him back.
While I see your point, he already has chemistry with the team and more importantly Eli Manning. Remember, Boldin was a distraction this year too, and last year, Burress was the reason the Giants won the Super Bowl. Sure they played well all around, but let's get real, who came up big for the giants when they needed it? Burress. Who scored all of the red zone touchdowns? Burress. Now that the Giants running game is one of the best in the league, and Eli is more comfortable spreading the ball around and Burress will be 100% (unlike last year), I think he is the choice that is right for the Giants. Also, after getting shot in the leg, I think he will be more behaved. It will serve as a wake up call, and he will get his act together for once in his life. Remember, he was a distraction for the Steelers, too.

JG

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I agree with most others here, the Giants need a big time receiver to play with Eli. Whether or not the player will be Burress or not, im not sure, but i do believe they should give him another chance. Considering what he has done for the team in the few short years he has been there, i think he deserves at least one, "get out of jail" card for free.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Burress was released.
I think this means the Giants NEED to trade for Edwards or Boldin or maybe another highly regarded receiver.
They could trade up in the draft and get Crabtree, but they would probably have to give up a ton. But, they need to keep in mind the fact that rookie receivers don't do too well during their first season.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
trademhigh said:
Burress was released.
I think this means the Giants NEED to trade for Edwards or Boldin or maybe another highly regarded receiver.
They could trade up in the draft and get Crabtree, but they would probably have to give up a ton. But, they need to keep in mind the fact that rookie receivers don't do too well during their first season.
I'm hoping that Sinorice Moss will have a chance to shine now. He was solid in college, and he's one of my favorite Miami U alumni. He just needs a chance, and could be a decent #3 WR imo. I don't see them going after Boldin.

G

Card Magnet said:
trademhigh said:
Burress was released.
I'm hoping that Sinorice Moss will have a chance to shine now. He was solid in college, and he's one of my favorite Miami U alumni. He just needs a chance, and could be a decent #3 WR imo. I don't see them going after Boldin.

Moss is fast and should be a good slot option next year.......Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon are still there......and you have Mario Manningham as well......not sure if any of these guys could step up and be a #1 WR......Hixon showed signs of promise last year but he's always been more of a kick/punt return guy.....Steve Smith is a solid possession receiver and could possibly be the #2 guy next year.....there definitely will be some competition for the #2 and #3 spots in camp and pre-season.....but don't really see any of the guys I mentioned as a #1 WR.....so either they are going to take a risk and go with one them, draft one, grab a guy in FA (not sure if Torry Holt is a good #1 WR option or who else is out there), or trade.

Members online