Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

At what price point is 10 Topps Chrome Baseball a good deal?

At what price point is 10 Topps Chrome Baseball a good deal?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
With the falling prices on 2010 Topps Chrome, how far does it have to sink till it's a good deal and hobbyist disregard the negative aspects of the products and start ripping?

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I am more concerned about the poor centering and bowing of cards more than I am the checklist. Some cards are just unsaleable.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I think it's a solid buy $50 or less, but the problem is that retail is simply better. In one hobby box, you'll pull 6 refractors and a colored refractor. In the same amount of retail you'll pull 6 refractors, 6 xfractors, and probably 4 colored refractors.

The autographs are too tough to pull anyone of consequence and simply not worth the guaranteed hits in hobby. A decent refractor will sell for equal or more than the majority of autographs it seems, and with the lightly collected base set, a product like this is all about the parallels.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
If Blowout does another Black Friday special I wonder how low they would go with these? Anything under 40 I will strongly consider buying.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Walmart is selling retail boxes in hard plastic security cases for $72 each. I silently laughed when I saw that...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
By definition, isn't $30 a better good deal than a $50 good deal 100% of the time in concern to this poll question?

Maybe i'm being picky, but shouldn't the answer either be $30, or i'm not touching this product at any cost?

Sorry, just being a stickler, and I guarantee you everyone would crush though this product if it was only $5 a box.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
tommyfro21 said:
Walmart is selling retail boxes in hard plastic security cases for $72 each. I silently laughed when I saw that...

You got to realize, maybe 5% of collectors are informed like we are. Not many use message boards or even ebay.

A majority of the card collecting community have no clue whats going on with this product.

I bet Topps and Walmart and other places like Amazon are still selling boxes at the SRP.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Agreed. I could easily see my parents or one of my brother-in- laws picking me up a box of these for Christmas thinking it is a good deal. I would still be happy getting this crap as oppose to the typical crap they get me :lol:

I have more ties then days during the year I need to wear one.

All In Cards said:
tommyfro21 said:

You got to realize, maybe 5% of collectors are informed like we are. Not many use message boards or even ebay.

A majority of the card collecting community have no clue whats going on with this product.

I bet Topps and Walmart and other places like Amazon are still selling boxes at the SRP.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
A lot of this question short-term has to deal with what you plan to do with the cards. I don't remember hearing production issues with the base cards, so its a good buy if you want to complete the base set and get inserts. Also people may want to get certain cards graded because of condition issues. Most people here like to flip, but this product is less oriented towards that this year than in previous years, but this does not mean it will not be a good long-term release. Most collectors are primarily interested in long-term anyway.

I'm amazed to see that the highest-end parallels seem to be outselling their counterparts from last year even though the print runs are the same. People think they're harder to get this year than in years past, I think partially because people don't know when all the product will be ripped.

But rest assured all the product will be ripped in a year or two given current pricing, and given the likelihood that some of the autos will be in very high demand.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
I broke a case of the 2009 Topps Chrome and had a great break. Its making it more difficult for me to consider opening this years because I'm afraid that the comparison will make it look worse then it really is.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I chose $30 a box.

after opening a case, the results were this.

Shorted my USA Auto
Shorted another auto
5 blue refs
1 gold ref
ZERO red refs
1 colored auto (blue ref Kaaiuaae)

I sold my entire case and now am at $150 total in sales, includes a set I just sold.

There are WAY too many $.99 autos and lack of color autos is ridiculous. Even the color autos are selling for next to nothing.

skrip

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
uniquebaseballcards said:
EricInCT said:
Jaypers said:
I'll take the bottom option.

I am with JP on this one.

Easy for someone to say when they don't have any of it from any year in their collection...er, stash (just checked your bucket ) ;)

Easy for you to say when your not shelling out thousands of dollars to bust bulk quantities of this garbage. Are the collectors dropping several K's opening this product? Didn't think so. Collectors buy the cards that those greedy, detrimental to the hobby, flippers sell on ebay. Attempting to bite my tongue every time you make a "collectors are superior to everyone else" post is excruciatingly difficult. You've posted twice in this thread without addressing the topic at hand...because your a troll.

Regarding the topic at hand, I wouldn't touch this at $300 per case. You'd be lucky to recoup half the cost.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
This product is a good rip at $50. There are plenty of good autos to be hit and the colored refractors are strong. If you want to be an unrealistic whiner and expect an automatic profit then you say this is a bad rip at $35. If you have realistic expectatiins on gambling on wax then $50 is a more than fair price.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Calling any cards 'garbage' is how sellers troll collectors and is a way to keep new people out of a hobby filled with 'garbage'.

I understand full-time dealers need to make a living and I definitely feel bad for them. Not as much for anyone else because if there were a shortage instead of a surplus they'd be as happy as can be with their extra cash, making the hobby more expensive.

What's interesting is that the average box from this year isn't very much different than what it was ten years ago with the exception being the autos.

bballcardkid said:
Easy for you to say when your not shelling out thousands of dollars to bust bulk quantities of this garbage. Are the collectors dropping several K's opening this product? Didn't think so. Collectors buy the cards that those greedy, detrimental to the hobby, flippers sell on ebay. Attempting to bite my tongue every time you make a "collectors are superior to everyone else" post is excruciatingly difficult. You've posted twice in this thread without addressing the topic at hand...because your a troll.

Regarding the topic at hand, I wouldn't touch this at $300 per case. You'd be lucky to recoup half the cost.

Members online

Latest posts