Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2001 Ultimate Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Was poking around eBay and stumbled across a box of 2001 Ultimate for $999. Four cards per pack and four packs per box so you only get 16 cards. Talk about a gamble. Anyone here bust this stuff back in the day? What does a typical box yield? Too rich for my blood but I would love to hear some stories.

Tom

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Busted about 2 and 1/2 boxes, pulled Tex and Prior, and other autos. Have had that auction in my watch list for months. Way too high, 6-700 is closer to what it should be and some may say thats high, just not many out there. Bought my Ici on the bay.
Edit paid between 400 to 600 (a box) for my packs when the Ichiro booked like a grand, now its 2200.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Each box had (if i remember) One auto, one jersey (#d), a couple of rcs, an Ichiro game used (theres a base, bat, jersey, with gold vers. mabey silver cant remember) something like that.
Edit oh yeah there were some of the Ichiro gU that were autoed - #d to like 50 for a couple and i think 25 for one. Would kill to pull one of those.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I opened a couple boxes about four years back and also in 2001.

Your typical yield by today's standards is underwhelming:

One Ichiro game used or auto (redemption-expired) in one pack
One on-card autograph in one pack
One serial number game jersey card in one pack
One serial number game used jersey in one pack

In general, you will get three serial numbered rookies, usually two numbered to 1000 and one numbered to 750, with the occasional 250 rookie.

The Prior and Teixeira are expired redemptions for their 250 rc.

I believe Ichiro is live for his 250 rc auto, but not for his game used auto inserts.

My best pull out of my four total boxes was a Pujols/250 rc.

Otherwise, you can get killed on the break, especially in today's market. (ie, about $100 return or less is common).

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
brouthercard said:

One game jersey card in one pack

In general, you will get three serial numbered rookies, usually two numbered to 1000 and one numbered to 750, with the occasional 250 rookie.

I believe Ichiro is live for his 250 rc auto, but not for his game used auto inserts.

Otherwise, you can get killed on the break, especially in today's market. (ie, about $100 return or less is common).
Both my Tex and Prior were live, not redemption.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Krom said:
brouthercard said:

They must have been partial live/partial redemptions.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
brouthercard said:
Krom said:
brouthercard said:

They must have been partial live/partial redemptions.
Must be, i thought they were all live, but thats just going by what i pulled, You bring up a good point about the GU Ichiro autos, if they were all redemptions then that kills a good part of the value for me. The best non/rc auto was Koufax i believe.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I think with the odds of a 250 rc no better than one/two per case, at the best to pull an Ichiro is one in 8 cases, which, by the cost of that box, will cost you over $30,000.

Just buy ten ichiros instead, and you may be able to squeeze in a few Koufaxes as well.

The price of this box simply reflects the scarcity of the SEALED box and not what you can actually get inside.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
Busted a case back in 2001 and I would definately recommend against. My biggest card was the Ichiro Ball auto #/25, but it was a redemption as was some of the auto's we pulled. Too many chances for redemptions.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Stryk said:
Busted a case back in 2001 and I would definately recommend against. My biggest card was the Ichiro Ball auto #/25, but it was a redemption as was some of the auto's we pulled. Too many chances for redemptions.
Do you still have it, just curious not trying to pry it off ya.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
No sold it right after pulling it, I think it went just under 1K. My biggest card sale at the time, only to be eclisped by an incredible case of 2001-02 Ultimate Basketball that brought a 1K card and a 2500 card. I was hooked on Ultimate for a few years after that.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Stryk said:
No sold it right after pulling it, I think it went just under 1K. My biggest card sale at the time, only to be eclisped by an incredible case of 2001-02 Ultimate Basketball that brought a 1K card and a 2500 card. I was hooked on Ultimate for a few years after that.
No prob, my biggest sale was partially (mostly) due to Ichiro's graph on 2002 Sp Authentic Excellance (w/Mac,Griff,Sosa,Cal,+ the $card Giambi) pulled out of one box and got 3000. Pulled 2 othed triples w/Ichiro out of the same product.
Yeah UD was pretty badass back then Esp. Ultimate.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Stryk said:

What did you pull out of the ultimate BK that yielded that much?

Ultimate was awesome back then, it was exquisite before exquisite.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
Pulled an awesome Kobe Patch #'d out of 25 that pulled 1000 and then in my last pack of the case, pulled a Jordan Wizards Patch that was #'ed out of 10 and had tons of breaks in it. It was his first Wizards Pach card and ended up selling for 2500. I wonder what that would bring now? 250-300?

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
Stryk said:
Pulled an awesome Kobe Patch #'d out of 25 that pulled 1000 and then in my last pack of the case, pulled a Jordan Wizards Patch that was #'ed out of 10 and had tons of breaks in it. It was his first Wizards Pach card and ended up selling for 2500. I wonder what that would bring now? 250-300?

Actually just looked at completed auctions and the same card numbered out of 100 went for 375 so I think I understimated what I would go for now.

Members online