Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Greinke Trade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5695939&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d5695939
It's an indsider article but what do you guys think a fair trade would be for Greinke I mean he isn't happy with KC since they don't have a winning team right now and he is 1 year removed from a Cy Young award. Would you see a Cliff Lee type of deal? Since Greinke still has 2 years left on his contract.

I think lee's value right now is much much higher then greinke's. That said, if something else was thrown in I would consider the deal.

Lee goes free agent in about 2 weeks, so I do not even think a trade would be open. He will likely go to the yankees who will pay him the most.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Greinke should bring a good return, at least one top tier prospect plus a couple of lower tier/high ceiling types. Cleveland was really ***** on the original Lee deal. Cy Young winner with a year and a half of cheap contract left should bring more than they received. Lee is a better pitcher, was owed less money and doesn't have the baggage that Greinke carries. The Rangers should be interested, especially if they are not able to resign Lee. KC would not be out of line asking for Martin Perez plus a couple of guys like Wilmer Font and Joe Wieland.

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
SamHell said:
Greinke should bring a good return, at least one top tier prospect plus a couple of lower tier/high ceiling types. Cleveland was really ***** on the original Lee deal. Cy Young winner with a year and a half of cheap contract left should bring more than they received. Lee is a better pitcher, was owed less money and doesn't have the baggage that Greinke carries. The Rangers should be interested, especially if they are not able to resign Lee. KC would not be out of line asking for Martin Perez plus a couple of guys like Wilmer Font and Joe Wieland.

No not Wilmer! I don't want him to go the Royals, would be nice to keep him with a winning team.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Also, texas ownership is no longer bankrupt and they are selling out every playoff game.

They may be able to hold lee if he chooses to stay.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
baseballguy350 said:
To summarize for those of you who don't have Insider...
10 teams listed, and the article reminds me of the saying if you "throw spaghetti against a wall"...

Nothing earth shattering, and nothing really out of the ordinary.

Who were the 10?

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
nborton said:
baseballguy350 said:
10 teams listed, and the article reminds me of the saying if you "throw spaghetti against a wall"...

Who were the 10?

Yeah. There wasn't a whole lot to the article. Just a bunch of speculation. The ten most likely landing spots were the Twins, Rockies, Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, Reds, Rangers and Cardinals.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
SamHell said:
nborton said:
baseballguy350 said:

Who were the 10?

Yeah. There wasn't a whole lot to the article. Just a bunch of speculation. The ten most likely landing spots were the Twins, Rockies, Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, Reds, Rangers and Cardinals.

Haha, with that list I guess there wasn't a whole lot to it. I can't see half the 10 getting him. Especially the Twins. One, why would the Royals trade him to a division rival. And two. Who would they really want from them?

I can see why the Twins would want him though. In my opinion the reason they keep losing to the Yankees in the playoffs is that their staff doesn't have enough power pitching. It works in the regular season because most teams aren't patient enough. But when the playoffs come the Yankees make the pitchers throw strikes, and their stuff isn't overpowering when you know it's coming.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The Third Eye said:
The Brewers should throw anything and everything at the Royals for Greinke. If he actually is on the block.

I think he will be traded, just depends on when. Some have said that the Royals would get a better return if they waited until the trading deadline next season. The Brewers were mentioned in the article as a team that would want him. Olney thinks they don't have the prospects to get him.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Didn't Grienke say his anxiety was caused by the pressure of pitching in the big leagues?

Will it really get better on the Yankees/RedSox/Phillies?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
nborton said:
SamHell said:
nborton said:
baseballguy350 said:

Who were the 10?

Haha, with that list I guess there wasn't a whole lot to it. I can't see half the 10 getting him. Especially the Twins. One, why would the Royals trade him to a division rival. And two. Who would they really want from them?

I can see why the Twins would want him though. In my opinion the reason they keep losing to the Yankees in the playoffs is that their staff doesn't have enough power pitching. It works in the regular season because most teams aren't patient enough. But when the playoffs come the Yankees make the pitchers throw strikes, and their stuff isn't overpowering when you know it's coming.

The article wasn't really who he thought would get him. It was basically what teams are willing to trade the farm for an ace based on history, and which teams have the potential prospects that could interest KC.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
vwnut13 said:
Didn't Grienke say his anxiety was caused by the pressure of pitching in the big leagues?

Will it really get better on the Yankees/RedSox/Phillies?

No. But it would working with a Zen-type pitching coach in Rick Peterson in Milwaukee.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
As a Royals fan, I'm hoping he is traded to the NL. He can handle a bat.

Also hoping we'd get at least one top tier arm and some legit pop in the OF. The Royals system has alot of good talent, but will it ever come to fruition? I can only dream...

:benson:

- jkeys

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
SamHell said:

Jason Donald, Lou Marson, Carlos Carrasco and Jason Knapp have not proven what they can do in the majors -- Knapp especially. The book is not closed on the Phillies-Indians deal.

However, what the Phillies got for Lee in return was horrific. Right-hander Phillippe Aumont, outfielder Tyson Gillies and right-hander Juan Ramirez. Crap, a possible coke addict (yes, the charges were dropped), and crap.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Besides 2009 16-8 2.16 229ip 242k and a CY award. What has Greinke done in the majors? I'm not trying to say he is not a good pitcher, but he just doesn't come across as a top of the order guy to me.

Members online