Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Young HOF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Could be? There aren't many that stay with one team for so long with career BA of 300, plus he is a fan favorite in Texas.
If he plays to 41 (6 more years) continuing at his consistent 180-200 hits, he will be in the 3000 hit club too....I know it's a big if, but Biggio did it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
Could be? There aren't many that stay with one team for so long with career BA of 300, plus he is a fan favorite in Texas.
If he plays to 41 (6 more years) continuing at his consistent 180-200 hits, he will be in the 3000 hit club too....I know it's a big if, but Biggio did it.
I think he has a better chance than many. Playing for one team should not make a difference but might. His numbers have been quite impressive, especially his consistency. Not sure he'll get to 3000 (which would make him a lock) but as one of the best infielders every year (and switching positions numerous times) I think when it is said and done he'll warrant consideration.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I really think there is zero chance of him hitting 3000. He was a ~200 a year hitter for a few years, now he is a ~180 hitter, and for the next few years if he can still produce, he will be a ~150 - ~160 hitter. He will be lucky to get to ~2700 hits and with absolutely nothing else going for him in the way of power, speed, popularity, ect.. His chances of getting to the hall are about as good as Bill Buckners...

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Really good player. Great Ranger. No HOF. His bat has always been good for his position, ie 2nd and SS but not great. Won a GG at SS he shouldn't have and was robbed of one at 2b. He really doesn't have the range now for 3B and his bat speed is way down. His contract is for 16 mil a year through 2013 so the Rangers are stuck with him. My guess he plays next year at 3b then spends his next two years as a 3B/1B/DH. After that? I can't see him with the Rangers unless he is willing to take a huge pay cut and lessened role. I don't think a .295 average with 2500 hits and 200 or so HR's get him in the HOF.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Buckner had a much better shot. Michael Young has a 5% chance at best to flirt with the Hall.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If he somehow stays over .300 or just below, gets around 2700 hits, that combined with his AS games, GG defense, he'll get in. He has a long way to go, but he could do it.

And I do believe staying with one team gets you bonus points. Writers love loyalty. Rangers winning the WS this year wouldn't hurt his chances either.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
If somehow he reaches that benchmark (3,000 hits) he is absolutely in, but if he fails to get there, which I think will happen I do not think he even sniffs the votes to get in.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

you hear "Michael Young" and think "Yea, hes a HOFer"?

has the HOF really sunken this low? is it ALL about the stats?

yes

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

It's not always JUST about stats....it takes stats to get you in to consideration, but character does play a role.
Here are just 2 of MANY examples.

Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hofautos said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

Bill Mazeroski - didnt see him play, so hard for me to judge

Roberto Alomar - TWO time WS winner, AND WS MVP. thats just the IMMEDIATE thing that comes to mind when thinking about Alomar as a baseball player

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
hofautos said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

Roberto Alomar - TWO time WS winner, AND WS MVP. thats just the IMMEDIATE thing that comes to mind when thinking about Alomar as a baseball player

I think he meant Alomar is not in because of his character issues

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
mannyramirezcollec said:
ThoseBackPages said:
hofautos said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

because he spit on a worthless umpire?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
mannyramirezcollec said:
ThoseBackPages said:
hofautos said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Seriously?

Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

because he spit on a worthless umpire?
I am sure if it weren't for that incident he would have been a first ballot hof'er. One of the best 2nd baseman of all time.
There are TONS of players much better than maz that aren't in, his character got him in.
A lot of marginal players with good character got in where better players with bad character didn't get in. Albert Joey Bell is another example.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
matfanofold said:
I really think there is zero chance of him hitting 3000. He was a ~200 a year hitter for a few years, now he is a ~180 hitter, and for the next few years if he can still produce, he will be a ~150 - ~160 hitter. He will be lucky to get to ~2700 hits and with absolutely nothing else going for him in the way of power, speed, popularity, ect.. His chances of getting to the hall are about as good as Bill Buckners...
or Al Oliver! 2743 hits .303 avg.

Members online

Latest posts