Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you think baseball would be more popular if...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
If you didn't have to pay to watch televised non-local baseball games.
It seems MLB is doing themselves a dis-service to charge to watch out of town games?
It may make them more money for the short-term, but I think that less people are interested in out of town games, because they have to pay to watch them..

I only watch baseball, so I don't really know, does the NFL do that too? Like you have to pay $200 for the season to watch NFL games?

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
NFL does that also and they're actually worse. If a team doesn't sell out the stadium they are not shown on local TV. The Jacksonville Jaguars had this problem a bunch last year. Most of their home games were not televised.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
All the sports have a pay package. In fact, I think baseball is the most affordable. NFL is a grip for only 17 weeks.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
NFL does that also and they're actually worse. If a team doesn't sell out the stadium they are not shown on local TV. The Jacksonville Jaguars had this problem a bunch last year. Most of their home games were not televised.

But for ones that are televised, can you watch away games without paying $200 extra?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
kdailey4315 said:

If I'm not mistaken it's a decision made by the team. I seem to recall Arizona doing this a few years back. They weren't selling out the home games, so they decided to black them out for local viewers...

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I have had NFL Sunday Ticket for 8 years up until this year. Directv wanted $44 something a month for 7 months( I think when I started getting it 8 years ago the prices were the same for MLB and NFL)

I believe the Baseball(Extra Innings package) only costs me $30 something for 6 months.

Because of finances, I cut the NFL, I may go without food for days but I am not giving up my Baseball package.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Weimer said:
I just watch the 5 broadcasted NFL games a week on TV without NFL Sunday Ticket. Good enough for me.

Me too. I am spoiled living in Wisconsin and having the Packers. They are NEVER blacked out as they have sold out every game for like seventy years. The Packers waiting list to get season tickets is something like 99 years long. Packers season tickets are usually passed down from generation-to-generation.

I would absolutely love it though if MLB.tv would lift the restriction on home team games.

baseballs black out rules pretty much kill me catching an exciting game on espn through the season. i live on the iowa side of the missouri river and i cannot watch cubs, sox, twins, cardinals, royals, tigers, blue jays or rockies games on espn. i have contacted cox and they tell me that i am incorrect in my being blacked out for 8 teams. i have also sent emails to mlb and espn they both tell me i am incorrect in my list. however whenever the game from any of those teams comes on espn... i cannot watch i get stuck with espn news. so it must be operator error!

to answer the question yes... better late than never.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Could be... I would kill to see alot of different teams, checkout certain players, see important games/milestones. And to not have to miss Red Sox games.

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
RL24 said:
kdailey4315 said:

If I'm not mistaken it's a decision made by the team. I seem to recall Arizona doing this a few years back. They weren't selling out the home games, so they decided to black them out for local viewers...

This is not the team's choice, it is part of the broadcast contracts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_% ... out_policy

The Lions have this problem ALL the time.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
hofautos said:
But for ones that are televised, can you watch away games without paying $200 extra?

yes, pay $120 for MLB.TV - more games than Extra Innings, archives unlike Extra Innings, and you can watch on a PC or some mobile devices or even at least 3-4 Internet appliances like a PS-3 or Roku box.

Blackouts still apply, but you are easily bound to find a game to watch that isn't blacked out, unless you live in Las Vegas or Iowa. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts