Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone at Topps have a clue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
I know this is FB BUT it should still be here for non FB collectors because it might save you a lot of money at some point. And you know its only a matter of time before Topps does this shat with out sport.

Topps Chrome FB came out last week and one of the inserts are rookie card reprints. Ok so nothing new, Topps has done this before but those were really easy to distinguish the inserts from the real mccoy (there was no chrome back then for the card being reprinted, such as a Lemeiux or Mantle or Mays or Aaron rookie, etc) and they were also labled as such.

So heres the new stuff.

Reprint !B5bYh5!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKj0EyLWK55U)BMtlEDiEp!~~_35.jpg

Original !B4N6yR!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!joEybspF7KCBMpBBZ!Iq!~~_35.jpg

Reprint !B5peTmw!mk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EyZ(fWP!ZBMufSbd8mg~~_35.jpg

Original !BoTi,1QBmk~$(KGrHqUH-DMEt9b925hZBLm+QY0F5Q~~_35.jpg

AND IT GOES ON AND ON

The problem is that THE CARDS ARE NOT MARKED AS REPRINTS...ANYWHERE.
Its a chrome reprint (done in chrome) of a chrome rookie.

The backs? Well just like the original, they look the same. In fact, even the sharpness on the front is nearly (or perfectly) identical to the originals.

The only SURE FIRE way for a reg collector to tell is by the copyright...if they actually look at it and who does?

So in a Hobby which has seen so many forgers run rampant recently, Topps has HANDED OVER ON A SILVER PLATTER another weapon for the low lifes. And its ironic its Topps because they have seen so many of their cards forged/backdoored.

So next time youre looking for a modern un autographed Topps Chrome card on ebay or going thorugh a discount box or showcase at a show, you better look at the tiny copyright or know all the ins and outs of a card to see what you are about to buy.

They might look different but its the scans I used. For a skilled collector, they know for the most part that Manning you just found in a $5 box is a reprint but for everyone else, they wont. In fact, I know I would get duped if I saw some of these in fifty percent off boxes or better.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Not much difference but the reprints also only have the "Topps" logo on the front and not the "Topps Chrome"

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Topps doesn't give a rat-ass about the forgers.

They are a publically traded corporation who probably feels that as long as they sell their product to their distributors and intermediaries and the stock rises that they are doing their best.

it's the overwhelming philosophy in private sector businesses and taught as the number one goal of business at the University level. (shareholder equity)

Jul 30, 2009
Funny how they thought "Hey maybe we should change "topps chrome' to 'Topps' INSTEAD of putting some special rookie reprint logo on the front.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The manufacturers seem primarily to work at the behest of the bodies that license them, all else seems secondary in nature. I'd wager the licensing bodies/licensors (NFL, NFLPA, MLB, MLBPA, etc) will want to make sure it stays this way by emphasizing a decreased importance of the secondary market and by working with manufacturers to make the hobby is more populated with kids.

The real money is in the primary market anyway, and these little 'gaffes' probably help make the hobby more oriented towards kids because it will drive adults crazy.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
sheetskout said:
They are a publically traded corporation who probably feels that as long as they sell their product to their distributors and intermediaries and the stock rises that they are doing their best.

They are privately held. ::facepalm:: Have been for years now.

As long as they make the private investors happy with the $$$ returns, that's all that counts.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
1, 2, 3 PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are only like 100 ways to tell them apart besides the Topps logo, the date on the back, the color differences etc. etc.

Would it have been easier to slap a logo on front, yeah. But to think this will kill sales of the real cards is silly.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
phillyfan0417 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Nice. another reason to buy graded :)

Or to buy cards that you want and not be concerned with a license.

Sweet Spot by UD this year was the worst crap I ever bought. Nothing like getting a Dan Marino in a Pitt Panther Uni with teal jersey pieces. Looks horrible.

I am sorry if your gonna do College then do it, don't whine about having to use up old jersey's. Its their damn fault for being in the mess their in.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
sheetskout said:
Topps doesn't give a rat-ass about the forgers.

it's the overwhelming philosophy in private sector businesses and taught as the number one goal of business at the University level. (shareholder equity)

TOPPS IS NOT A PUBLICLY-TRADED CORPORATION.

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you opine.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
trauty said:
Not much difference but the reprints also only have the "Topps" logo on the front and not the "Topps Chrome"

For those that pay attention, that detail right there would be enough to identify the reprint. There will always be the unscrupulous people that try to pass these off as originals when they are clearly reprints, but they've been around since Topps started doing reprints years ago in baseball.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
What identied the CYMTO stuff on the front of the card in reg Topps Baseball? Or these same reprints that were used in Reg Topps FB?

Members online

Latest posts