Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: When was the moment that you fell in love with the game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
For me, it was when I was 5. My dad took me to Busch Stadium for my first baseball game. It was just the two of us.

The Cardinals beat the Reds that day, but that wasn't what made me fall in love with the game.

It was the fact that I realized this *** a special bond that we would share. It turned out that my dad and I have a love of the game that my brother doesn't have.

I have tried to make that connection with my boys and so far it seems to be working and we enjoy spending that time and those special moments together.

So, what is your story?

David

1988RedSox

Feb 16, 2009
Maine
Going to the movie theater as a 7 year old and watching Field of Dreams, after having visited Fenway Park and seeing the Sox play.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I honestly can't remember. The earliest memories I have regarding baseball was when I practiced pitching against my neighbors garage with a tennis-ball at age four. I'll bet it was before that as well. I started collecting in 1984 (1984 Topps) when my dad used to bring me home packs after he got home from work (age 5).

I've been head-over-heels ever since.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I started watching the Braves when I was ~5. I really enjoyed it, but a couple years later I spent most of my summer with my grandparents next door neighbor. He was a big time Cardinals fan. He taught me to love the game, and interestingly... Rickey Henderson. He didn't like the guy, but he convinced me that Rickey was the best. :D

September 9, 1990.

Me , my dad, and a friend of mine and his dad went to yankee stadium for a day game against the defending World Champion Oakland A's. He worked for a supermarket up in north jersey and a regular customer of his was the head of security at yankee stadium. It was on that day that my dad arranged a meeting that would make me a baseball/mcgwire/memorabilia nut for the rest of my life.......

10x12.jpg

i also got my first ever autograph from a athlete. it turned 20 years old last month and it is still bold and green!

mcgwire007.jpg

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I was 6 when Charlie Hustle & The Big Red Machine won the World Series in 1975. Trying to do Pete Rose head first slides was cool back then even though I did several face plants.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Watching Kirk Gibson homerun over Dennis Eckersley and Orel Hershiser pitching at NLCS and World Series.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
My first professional baseball memory was the 1987 (Age 7) NLCS with the Giants and Cards. I remember Candy Maldanado misplaying a very playable fly ball causing the Giants to lose that game. The Cards won again the next day eliminating the Giants. I really fell in love and became obsessed with baseball during the 89 Giants season.

docsilvey

Aug 22, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
When my mom let me, as a 12-year-old, stay up late on school nights to watch the Reds as Pete Rose chased the All-Time Hits Record, finally accomplishing the feat on Wednesday evening September 11, 1985...

Also of note:
Kirk Gibson's w/o WS HR
Bash Bros.
"This Week in Baseball"
Reds 1990 World Series title
Reds' Chris Sabo BP foul ball and subsequent autographing of it
1983 Topps Wade Boggs, Ryne Sandberg, Tony Gwynn
1984 Topps Don Mattingly, Darryl Strawberry
1985 Topps Olympic Team, Dwight Gooden, Roger Clemens
1986 Sportflics
1987 Fleer Rack Pack w/Kevin Seitzer showing (card show door prize)
1989 Upper Deck

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I don't remember, but I think it was in late '98 or in early '99 when my parents bought me a Mark McGwire Home Run King poster (I was like 5-6), but it must have been earlier, because I can remember my dad bringing me a Southwest State University baseball hat one day after work (he used to work there, and returned to it a couple years ago). I still have them somewhere. My first MLB game was in 2002, Rangers and Twins... A-Rod, Pudge, Palmero.... man was it fun. Twins won of course... it was like 3-2. So even though I am not a Rangers fan, they hold a special place in my baseball heart.

Latest posts