Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone still get Beckett?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Got a letter in the mail with an offer to resubscribe (for $2 an issue) and I realized it's pretty much the first time I've thought of Beckett (other than BGS) in months. Does anyone still get it? I'm debating whether it's worth giving it another shot at that price.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Topnotchsy said:
Got a letter in the mail with an offer to resubscribe (for $2 an issue) and I realized it's pretty much the first time I've thought of Beckett (other than BGS) in months. Does anyone still get it? I'm debating whether it's worth giving it another shot at that price.
Not really, the price guide is a joke. With all the other sports in one mag its not much now adays. I don't mind that a friend has a sub and gives me his old copies when he gets a new one. But would not pay for it though.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
The value is in the OPG for checklists. But if you are not interested in pricing, the checklists are free.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I let my subscription lapse for a while but Beckett gave me an offer of $17.99 for another year. I figured each mag has a buck fifty worth of info and reading entertainment so I took advantage. The added grading certificate for two cards (or five with a 25 card order) is worth the price alone should I opt to use it.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Bought the one with Stras on it a couple months ago. It is huge, but is 90% price guide, which is, of course, outdated by the time it's out.

Only about a dozen pages of articles and a bunch of ads.

Won't be buying again.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd consider using Beckett for vintage card prices only. I don't care for their articles or their modern card pricing.

Topnotchsy said:

brumbach

I subscribe to the baseball and pick up the other sports occasionally. I use it mainly to ID cards before I list them, there is a ton of product from 2001-present that I am not very familiar with and I need to guide so I can put the correct name of the cards in my listings. I have also found that for stuff over a year or so old, 20% of Beckett high is usually close to a lot of closing prices on eBay. Of course, I'm 37 and started out with CCP back in the day and have been using Beckett guides since the late 80's, so I admit that I might rely on it more than some of the youngins out there just out of habit.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
If it were made of softer paper I could use it in the restroom but other than that it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Tom

Jul 30, 2009
As a store owner, Im basically done carrying the multi sport issues, NO ONE in the store likes it because of the absolute lack of prices in it.

What does your 2005 BCDP Braun auto REFRACTOR book? Well its not listed BUT you can find out how much a 2009 ertl Jeff Gordon car is or perhaps youre interested in knowing a 2008 WWE Jeff Hardy base card is 75 cents.

Its so so bad that when a new or returning or former collector comes in looking for Beckett, I tell them to avoid the multi sport and go for one of the Plus mags.

Dump that and subscribe to the Baseball Plus (I think its actually just Beckett Baseball) instead.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I have started buying the Hockey one again in the last few months. Something to look through and read that is hobby related at work when i dont have access to the internet ;)

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
011873 said:
Its so so bad that when a new or returning or former collector comes in looking for Beckett, I tell them to avoid the multi sport and go for one of the Plus mags.

Umm, how about not referring new or returning collectors to beckett at all?

The bottom line is that the magazine presents such an unrealistic view of what is really going on that it damages the actual experiences in the long run. Just yesterday I got an email from someone talking about how disappointed they were when they found out Beckett was a complete joke. They had just returned to the hobby and were going to buy a few boxes, but after going on ebay and getting the REAL story, they decided it was better to continue watching from the sidelines.

Even a couple of months ago I got back to back emails from two shop owners who have stopped carrying the magazine because of what it does to people who use it. Not only does it take the fun out of things for new people, but as said above, it damages expectations and perceptions, which have a negative effect on a continued positive experience. One of the shop owners bought a laptop and had ebay pulled up on the counter if people were that inclined to know what something was worth.

If Beckett were to dump their joke of a price guide, it would eliminate most of the conflict of interest presented in it, and I wouldnt have such a problem with what they do on a tri-daily basis.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Gellman said:
011873 said:

The bottom line is that the magazine presents such an unrealistic view of what is really going on that it damages the actual experiences in the long run. Just yesterday I got an email from someone talking about how disappointed they were when they found out Beckett was a complete joke. They had just returned to the hobby and were going to buy a few boxes, but after going on ebay and getting the REAL story, they decided it was better to continue watching from the sidelines.

Even a couple of months ago I got back to back emails from two shop owners who have stopped carrying the magazine because of what it does to people who use it. Not only does it take the fun out of things for new people, but as said above, it damages expectations and perceptions, which have a negative effect on a continued positive experience. One of the shop owners bought a laptop and had ebay pulled up on the counter if people were that inclined to know what something was worth.

If Beckett were to dump their joke of a price guide, it would eliminate most of the conflict of interest presented in it, and I wouldnt have such a problem with what they do on a tri-daily basis.

I'm not sure how putting out a price guide is a conflict of interest for Beckett.

Selling BGS-graded cards is a conflict of interest, whether it be on consignment or not.

That's where the real focus should be.

For me, I enjoy reading the three pages of articles per month. I look at the price guide as just that - a guide.

Having said that, I can see why experienced collectors have virtually no use for the magazine from a practical standpoint; however, from a purely informational one, the hefty price tag for a monthly magazine that presents nothing more than a mishmosh of random sets in their price guide and a ton of annoying advertisements is a bit too rich for my blood.

Gellman - I do like what you've done with your site. While I don't agree with a lot of what you say, I respect the work you put in to your site. It looks great.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
Crash Davis said:
Gellman said:
011873 said:

I'm not sure how putting out a price guide is a conflict of interest for Beckett.

Selling BGS-graded cards is a conflict of interest, whether it be on consignment or not.

For me, I enjoy reading the three pages of articles per month. I look at the price guide as just that - a guide.

Having said that, I can see why experienced collectors have virtually no use for the magazine from a practical standpoint; however, from a purely informational one, the hefty price tag for a monthly magazine that presents nothing more than a mishmosh of random sets in their price guide and a ton of annoying advertisements is a bit too rich for my blood.

Gellman - I do like what you've done with your site. While I don't agree with a lot of what you say, I respect the work you put in to your site. It looks great.

Thanks dude.

Here is what I meant by conflict of interest: Beckett sells space to card companies that are also contained in their price guide. THey also get loads of free stuff, etc. For them to set prices for the part of the hobby that still uses the guide, is a conflict of interest due to how much they could affect things.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Gellman said:
Crash Davis said:
Gellman said:
011873 said:

Thanks dude.

Here is what I meant by conflict of interest: Beckett sells space to card companies that are also contained in their price guide. THey also get loads of free stuff, etc. For them to set prices for the part of the hobby that still uses the guide, is a conflict of interest due to how much they could affect things.

You see, I completely disagree with that statement.

Beckett has little to no baring on what cards sell for on eBay, whereas, logically (one would think), eBay sales would have a healthy influence over the prices stated in Beckett's price guide. There are a lot of big-time case breakers who sell base cards from sets for well over BV, while most game-used and autographed cards sell for much lower than BV.

Now, considering how Beckett not only has control of the submissions it receives, it now can resell BGS-slabbed cards on eBay through it's consignment division with little or no oversight.

That is a major conflict of interest.

Graded cards is where it gets fuzzy, in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts