Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Continuity Autograph Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't know why Topps hasn't done something like this. How awesome would this be? An on-card autograph set, limited to 500 copies per player, of as many MLB players as they can get, past and present. No parallels, just the autograph. MLB players only, no prospects. The design would be an uncluttered, clean one, with space for the auto along with a picture of the player. The design would also stay constant, but the autos themselves could be distributed through all the different products and from now until the end of time. How cool would this be 50 years from now? They could do it with old timers as well. I think once a player has a card in the set, that's it, just the one appearance in the set. He should be featured in the team's uniform in which he made his MLB debut. This would be a set similar in size to the UD Yankee Stadium Legacy set, but I think much, much more collectible. It would also add an extra "hit" to products that people wouldn't normally be excited about busting. Maybe even try to work out a deal with UD to get Jeter's first certified Topps auto in 10 years. That would be a HUGE draw. This would also be a great opportunity for players to get certified autos who haven't appeared in sets before. If the print run was 500 cards per player, Topps could release 1000 players a year, and put them 2 per box in EVERY product they make. Awesome? Yes. I would love to see this set get made.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
domino2012 said:
I like the idea. Set builders would go nuts.
Player collectors as well eventhough there would be 500 of each.
Seriously, I like it.

There are around 500 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols autos. This is a good number. They are available to be had if the price is right, but not so scarce that they never show up. 2 per box in every product? Just about every player who has ever put on an MLB uniform? Set builders, team collectors, player collectors, this would be the correct version of what they tried to do in 2006 and 2007 with the A-Rod, Mickey Mantle, and Barry Bonds continuity sets. Make it something that people actually want and the sky is the limit.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
mudflap02 said:
I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't know why Topps hasn't done something like this. How awesome would this be? An on-card autograph set, limited to 500 copies per player, of as many MLB players as they can get, past and present. No parallels, just the autograph. MLB players only, no prospects. The design would be an uncluttered, clean one, with space for the auto along with a picture of the player. The design would also stay constant, but the autos themselves could be distributed through all the different products and from now until the end of time. How cool would this be 50 years from now? They could do it with old timers as well. I think once a player has a card in the set, that's it, just the one appearance in the set. He should be featured in the team's uniform in which he made his MLB debut. This would be a set similar in size to the UD Yankee Stadium Legacy set, but I think much, much more collectible. It would also add an extra "hit" to products that people wouldn't normally be excited about busting. Maybe even try to work out a deal with UD to get Jeter's first certified Topps auto in 10 years. That would be a HUGE draw. This would also be a great opportunity for players to get certified autos who haven't appeared in sets before. If the print run was 500 cards per player, Topps could release 1000 players a year, and put them 2 per box in EVERY product they make. Awesome? Yes. I would love to see this set get made.

It is hard enough to get 30 players to sign on-card for Bowman Chrome. And now you want 1,000 players? LOL.

This wouldn't happen in a million years.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Crash Davis said:
mudflap02 said:

It is hard enough to get 30 players to sign on-card for Bowman Chrome. And now you want 1,000 players? LOL.

This wouldn't happen in a million years.

I don't want 1000, I want more than that! And it wouldn't be a sprint, it would be a marathon. You're not on a deadline to get a certain player in the set at a certain time, like you are in annual releases. Redemptions are inherently unnecessary for this set!

How many TTM autos do some guys get in a year in their spare time? I know Topps certified autos are different, but think about events like team Fan Fests and Spring Training when a lot of players are in one place at one time. I don't know if I could get 1000 a year, but if it was my full time job, I could get enough done to make this set happen and I guarantee that it would be a hit. I would say that within 5 years, most living MLB players who are available to sign would have done so.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Great idea, but it would never happen because Topps doesn't give a ****. The Bowman line is their bread and butter. No matter how bad ANY (almost every) Bowman product is, prospectors will buy it out. Topps knows that as long as they continue with their Bowman line, continue to add new Bowman products, and throw the "it" prospect in everything else, it will all sell.

Topps does not care about mid-high end collectors or people who collect current and retired MLB players. That is why a solid product idea like this will never become a reality. Now if you mentioned another way to throw more prospects into everything, they'd be all ears.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Wouldn't ity be along the same lines as the Manufactured MLB Logo ones that they are doing now across all thier products? I like the idea, like the old UD Piece of History 500 HR line.

It would get set collectors in on multiple sets/releases through the year.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
They're doing this with "Ring Of Honor" in football already. It will be in five star and regular topps and I think it's in other product also. It has been avail for a few years.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I think it would be a great idea, and would help products that ship dead (IE: Topps Chrome).

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think topps would and should care because it does add value to otherwise flop products. They will be able to sell a lot more to the dealers and whatnot. Only bad thing is you know somebody would start bitching that their box only contain something like a Chili Davis and a Ron Kittle auto. And even though this set would be pretty hard core collected...there will enevitably be players who just aren't worth much so they won't make the box worth the price paid. As add ins they'd be great but I think somehow some way Topps won't make them just to add in. And with that comes the proverbial bitching.

Two things I would like to see though...
Lets not use whatever uniform or team they played for when they got their first call. There would be some players that weren't with that team very long and it would make it kinda dull to do so. Even somebody like Barry Bonds is better suited to be featured in a San Fran uni rather than a Pirates. Also...do it like the topps fan favorites where the cards are all different and they don't look like an insert but rather just the regular card with the serial numbering. Also... a database needs to be made as well so you know what to look for.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
But I think it would be cool to have an on-card auto of Bonds in a Pirates Jersey, Ozzie Smith in a Padres Jersey, etc.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
But I think it would be cool to have an on-card auto of Bonds in a Pirates Jersey, Ozzie Smith in a Padres Jersey, etc.

Then make variations.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that this would be quite an expensive venture for Topps, and in their eyes would not be practical or profitable.

It would be a cool concept, though, but so would on-card autos for their high-end products.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
It may not be super expensive. They were already doing something like it back in the day with Topps Team Legends. Some guys would obviously cost more, but I'm sure they could make the #'s work.

brouthercard said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that this would be quite an expensive venture for Topps, and in their eyes would not be practical or profitable.

It would be a cool concept, though, but so would on-card autos for their high-end products.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Sean_C said:
It may not be super expensive. They were already doing something like it back in the day with Topps Team Legends. Some guys would obviously cost more, but I'm sure they could make the #'s work.

brouthercard said:

Less so the cost of the actual autograph and more so the cost of trying to find the whereabouts of tens of thousands of ex-mlb players, finding photos, making the cards, getting them shipped, acquiring the autos in person to verify the authenticity, and making sure everything runs smoothly and is kept in order and organized. Very expensive.

Members online

Latest posts