Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would this be an acceptable way to package a card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
So i got in a fairly expensive card today $100+ and I open the packaging and the guy decided to wrap the card in bubble wrap ::facepalm:: didnt bother with penny sleeves or case.

The card arrived fine due to some precise cutting on my part cause the guy taped it all up in addition to the bubble wrap.

Would this bother you? or am i overreacting?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Its kinda like buying an electronic device and the batteries aren't already installed in the remote. They are there, in the package, seperately, but they aren't already in. You get the same effect. Everything is ok, just a little awkward........

That said, just don't buy/trade with the guy anymore. Nuff said.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
If the card is fine, what does it matter. Yeah it's a stupid way to ship, but if the card is fine, there is nothing to be upset about.

It's like the PWE debate and in this case it's worse. Yes the card arrived safely but why should he need surgeon skills just to extract his card safely? It's the principals of it.

Juanfatj

Aug 12, 2008
VA
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:
If the card is fine, what does it matter. Yeah it's a stupid way to ship, but if the card is fine, there is nothing to be upset about.

It's like the PWE debate and in this case it's worse. Yes the card arrived safely but why should he need surgeon skills just to extract his card safely? It's the principals of it.

Card arrived safely, move on.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
sportscardtheory said:

I never understand this point of view.

To me it's like this... you're driving your baby home from the baby sitter's after a long day. Suddenly your car gets T-Boned. The other driver is staggering drunk. Your baby didn't get injured.

Do you say to yourself "That's OK to drive around belligerently drunk. My baby didn't get hurt."

No you do not. You get pissed because somebody did something stupid and it put your baby at risk.

A lot of collectors don't have kids, their high end cards are their babies. Don't put them at risk. :D

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No way! Don't move on. Send the guy a note. Protect your fellow collectors.

Your card may have arrived fine but the next person's might not.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
sportscardtheory said:

To me it's like this... you're driving your baby home from the baby sitter's after a long day. Suddenly your car gets T-Boned. The other driver is staggering drunk. Your baby didn't get injured.

Do you say to yourself "That's OK to drive around belligerently drunk. My baby didn't get hurt."

No you do not. You get pissed because somebody did something stupid and it put your baby at risk.

A lot of collectors don't have kids, their high end cards are their babies. Don't put them at risk. :D

Haha I wouldnt go that far but you have valid point.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Comparing a card situation to a drunk driving MVA is like apples and oranges. The guy used bubble wrap, which showed he was concerned about protecting the card. Some people don't think like we all do about shipping. Its crazy, yeah I know, but I don't see how its comparable to getting hit by a drunk driver.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
RL24 said:
sportscardtheory said:

holy christ that is the worst anaolgy I have ever read ::facepalm::

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
boxbreaker44 said:
So i got in a fairly expensive card today $100+ and I open the packaging and the guy decided to wrap the card in bubble wrap ::facepalm:: didnt bother with penny sleeves or case.

The card arrived fine due to some precise cutting on my part cause the guy taped it all up in addition to the bubble wrap.

Would this bother you? or am i overreacting?

I take it we are talking a bowman chrome card, that is the only type that could survive.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
How thick was the card? I'd probably leave a neutral or no feedback at all. But contact the seller about using better shipping methods.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:

I think you need to add Kramer to your signature.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What are you going to leave in feedback? "Packaging Didn't Meet My Expectations, But Card was Completely Fine."

If this guy continues to ship poorly, he'll eventually get poor feedback. Personally, I think it's unfair for him to get dinged on both the cards that arrived safely and the cards that arrived in bad shape.

I just don't understand it. Your transaction went fine, so why should you have a complaint? To warn people? What if this guy's shipped out 100 packages this way and every card has arrived safely? At that point, is it a subpar shipping method?

His goal is to get the card to you safely. If the card doesn't arrive safely, leave bad feedback. If the card does arrive safely, leave positive feedback or no feedback at all.

It's like writing a restaurant review saying, "He used too much cumin. In this case it worked and was totally delicious, but at some point he'll over do it." If everyone left a review like that, does it really mean that he used too much cumin? No! It doesn't mean he used too much cumin until someone says, "He used too much cumin"

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
blanning71 said:
Its kinda like buying an electronic device and the batteries aren't already installed in the remote. They are there, in the package, seperately, but they aren't already in. You get the same effect. Everything is ok, just a little awkward........

You really think the batteries should come installed in the remote? Its not that hard to twist them out of the cheap plastic they come in and put them in the remote. You do have to use some brain cells to make sure you put them in the right way but it can be done.
They cram the remote in a cut-out slot in the styrafoam for shipping protection (which BTW can press some of the buttons down). Place something heavy on your remote before you go to bed tonight and let me know how it works in the morning. ::facepalm::

That isnt even a good analogy anyways. OP should definetly say something to the seller. I would be pissed regardless of value.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
ArtVandelay said:
blanning71 said:

You really think the batteries should come installed in the remote? Its not that hard to twist them out of the cheap plastic they come in and put them in the remote. You do have to use some brain cells to make sure you put them in the right way but it can be done.
They cram the remote in a cut-out slot in the styrafoam for shipping protection (which BTW can press some of the buttons down). Place something heavy on your remote before you go to bed tonight and let me know how it works in the morning. ::facepalm::

That isnt even a good analogy anyways. OP should definetly say something to the seller. I would be pissed regardless of value.

He should definitely say something to the seller, I don't think anyone's debating that. I think simply leaving poor feedback or asking for a refund or something is sketchy.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
EricInCT said:
RL24 said:
sportscardtheory said:

holy christ that is the worst anaolgy I have ever read ::facepalm::

It was supposed to be more funny than serious (I thought equating baseball cards to infants was a dead give away), but I don't think it's like apples and oranges. In both cases somebody put something of value to you at risk of destruction.

The restaurant analogy was a little off, but pretty close... I think a better review would be "He served the gazpacho warm. I happened to like it, but 99.9% people know it is supposed to be served cold."

This would warn future diners that hey, this guy has no idea what he's doing.

Sometimes cards that are sent perfectly get damaged. It can be a rough trip through the postal system from point A to point B. Not putting the card in a top loader is asking for trouble. If I purchased a $100+ card, I would appreciate it if somebody warned me that the seller would ship it like this. I would likely hold out for another copy of the card, and not let my purchase be gambled with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts