Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Short Prints Versus Low Numbered Cards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Do you feel that an actual non numbered short print is more collectible and valubale then a low numbered card. Personally like short prints un numbered over numbered ones mainly autos and game used. Not sure how other people feel and collect when it comes to this. Few years back pulled a sp'd Lucky Luc out of SPA hockey and he signed 25 and it sold for well over 200 bucks, Compared to the previous years that sold for 20 bucks. Like I said, Wanna see the preference of other people on the boards.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I like short prints that are either unannounced, or print run/odds aren't given. I don't care about 1:4 pack SPs. I like stuff like the Heritage SSPs, the Topps Abe Lincoln/06 Alex Gordon type cards, and cards that aren't stated to be SP but obviously are (Strasburg Topps Chrome base auto, Stras A&G mini)

I like it when no one has any idea how rare a card truly is.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
It doesn't matter to me, as long as it's obvious that it's a short print. Some cards are impossible for player collectors to find because it's a short print that looks like every other base card. For example, 2005 Diamond Kings Canvas and 2005 Zenith Z-Gold. Those should have been serial numbered. The same goes for Topps Allen and Ginter Mini No Card Number, although those aren't as tough to find because it's the same idea every year and set collectors know what to look for. I'm glad they started to serial number those. On the other hand, 2006 UD Special F/X Blue isn't numbered, but it's obvious when you see one.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The only thing I worry about short prints is that the company may have produced more than initially assumed.

But yes, definitely when an unnumbered card short printed to 25 is compared to a card serial-numbered to 25, it seems like the unnumbered card hardly ever shows up, whereas the serial numbered card is easier to find, even though they are equal in number. I think the fact that there are so many parallel cards on the market, or any insert card for that matter, dilutes the significance of a serial numbered card, even though it shouldn't.

I prefer the card serial numbered, but when you consider a card with a "rumored" print run, it can and usually does work to the seller's advantage.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
The only thing I worry about short prints is that the company may have produced more than initially assumed.

Bowman Chrome
Flightposite
Alexi Casilla
Red Refractor
Serially Numbered to 5
A scan of 7 2007 Bowman Chrome Alexi Casilla Red Refractors, numbered to 5

Someone call Ben Matlock

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
autocut said:
unannounced SP's are always the best. We know its SP'd, but no way to getting an exact print run.

It's funny, an unannounced SP may have a total print run of 5000 cards and sell for $30-$60 each, whereas if they actually serial numbered the card out of 5000, it may only sell for $3-$5.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
brouthercard said:

Bowman Chrome
Flightposite
Alexi Casilla
Red Refractor
Serially Numbered to 5
A scan of 7 2007 Bowman Chrome Alexi Casilla Red Refractors, numbered to 5

Someone call Ben Matlock

At least with a serial numbered card, you can catch the culprit red-handed.

Not so much with non-serial numbered cards, where you really don't know what color their hands actually are.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Call me nerdy but I kinda like the fact that you can own a copy of a card that there was xx/*** amount made. Sp's are cool as well. I'd rather have the serial numbered versions though.

Latest posts