Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the deal with Pedro Alvarez stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Even though he played about half the season, I still have yet to see any base, auto or relic cards of Pedro Alvarez in anything for 2010, released or on checklists for upcoming products. Which is odd because most of the other rookies that were called up during the season have stuff at least in Topps Update or Chrome.

Anyone else notice this?

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
cgilmo said:
Pedro wants more for autographs than Topps is willing to pay.

His rates aren't crazy, so this falls squarely on Topps for not being willing to pony up slightly more for him. While he wouldn't exactly drive a product like Harper will, he would definitely be a more than welcome addition to Bowman Chrome or Bowman Draft.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
Still no Matt Wieters in Topps products also? I can understand if their asking price is high for autos/GU etc, but why not at least base RCs of these guys??? And - what the heck - while I'm at it, can Adam Rosales get a freakin base card???

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
How much do players usually get paid for their autos? I would expect the veteran players to be paid more money anyone have any ideas?

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
Both Wieters and Alvarez are still under contract with Razor. Once their contact expires (1-year after their debut) you will then see Topps cards of them.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
sruchris said:
Both Wieters and Alvarez are still under contract with Razor. Once their contact expires (1-year after their debut) you will then see Topps cards of them.

I believe once they are on the 40-man roster their contract with Razor is null.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
sruchris said:

Matt Wieters MLB debut - May 29, 2009 vs. DET 4 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB

so????

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
gogosox40 said:
How much do players usually get paid for their autos? I would expect the veteran players to be paid more money anyone have any ideas?

Don't know about now, but in 2003 the low minors rookies got a dollar per, and Pujols got 50 per. Players could get anything in between. Agents with multiple clients would sometimes deal to get their younger guys into products, meaning that a veteran could be had a little cheaper if Topps had a recent draftee sign cards. That may be what happened with all the rookies in Topps Chrome.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
From what I have understood with Alavarez is that he wants a better deal than what Topps wants to give him.

The one thing that confuses me is he was in their MiLB set this year does Pedro not have any ability to prevent his likeness from being used in that type of set?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
morgoth said:
From what I have understood with Alavarez is that he wants a better deal than what Topps wants to give him.

The one thing that confuses me is he was in their MiLB set this year does Pedro not have any ability to prevent his likeness from being used in that type of set?

Topps has a blanket deal for MILB, they have to sign individual contracts for MLB.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
sruchris said:

I believe once they are on the 40-man roster their contract with Razor is null.

Uhh, wrong, because Topps does not have a contract with the MLBPA

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I imagine they are trying to be cheap sad to say. They know they are the only game in town and if he wants a MLB card deal he has to go to them. I also imagine Razor's deal was so good compared to what Topps is offering he might feel offended.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
morgoth said:
I imagine they are trying to be cheap sad to say. They know they are the only game in town and if he wants a MLB card deal he has to go to them. I also imagine Razor's deal was so good compared to what Topps is offering he might feel offended.

I think you're right; this may be a case of Topps saying that Razor did not set the standard for baseball card compensation, they do.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
etopps_serve.php

Members online