Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector Contest FINALS

Who has the "better" player collection?

• LWMM (Jonny Gomes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm honored to have made it this far given all the amazing collections that were posted.

Thank you Luc for putting this on and giving us all the opportunity to browse these outstanding PCs!

Good luck!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Too tough to call but I have to go with LWMM based on the collection of game used items. I know how hard it is to track down game used items and cards of a lessor known player. That of course is not intended to take away from the amazing feat of obtaining over 5,000 different cards of a highly popular player, I know that pain as well with my Clark collection. Great collections and thanks for sharing them.

My vote if for:
LWMM (Jonny Gomes)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
That Gomes collection is awesome and something to be proud of. That being said, the McGwire collection is unworldly. Over 5,000 unique cards!! Mother of God! No disrespect to the Gomes collection here because it is fantastic but the name of this site is Freedom "Cardboard" and over 5,000 different cards along with a fantastic searchable website has got to take this.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Obviously both of these guys have player collections very few people can compare to. Onionring's McGwire collection is insane for the sheer time and $ it's taken, especially given the competition he faced. The Gomes collection is spectacular for the cards (missing EIGHT 1/1's!) as well as the game-used stuff. Most guys would love to have a jersey or bat, let alone 10+ OF EACH. Sickening.

For me it just comes down to the time and sheer mass of Onionring's collection. I know what it's taken to reach 2K different cards of a low-level player, and it makes me wonder if I'm certifiably nuts. The bottom line is that ONIONRING HAS HUNTED DOWN FIVE THOUSAND CARDS OF A HIGH-END PLAYER. Truly exceptional.

So well done, you've easily earned your place in the Collector's HOF. Well, whenever they decide to build it.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Wasn't one of the contest rules that for votes to count, you must vote in ALL rounds? How do you monitor that with a poll? Just wondering, but I'm glad I don't have to make my vote public as you both have insane collections in your own rights

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Brewer Andy said:
Wasn't one of the contest rules that for votes to count, you must vote in ALL rounds? How do you monitor that with a poll? Just wondering, but I'm glad I don't have to make my vote public as you both have insane collections in your own rights

I mistyped that, it should read all pairings (e.g. while you can vote in round 1, round 3 and the semi-final, you must vote on each match-up in those three rounds). This being the final, anyone voting is automatically voting in all match-ups for the round.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Ahh, I see. Just wondered. Good luck to both finalists, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say all entrants have blown us away with their collections top to bottom!

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
Being a fellow McGwire collector, I know how hard it is to locate (much less aquire) some of his cards (even some with very low BOOK values). Since I have probably been responsible for causing Joe to spend many extra $ through bidding against him, my vote is for:

The Man,
The Myth,
The Legend,

Onionring9

Dec 10, 2008
*BUMP*

McGwire's rookie year was 1987, and 20+ years is what it takes to put a collection like that together. There isn't many in the world, let alone on this board that can say they've accomplished what Joe has. My vote is obviously for Joe's collection, not necessarily because of the player, but because collecting the same guy lets me appreciate the dedication it takes to get that far.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Bane50 said:
Being a fellow McGwire collector, I know how hard it is to locate (much less aquire) some of his cards (even some with very low BOOK values). Since I have probably been responsible for causing Joe to spend many extra $ through bidding against him, my vote is for:

The Man,
The Myth,
The Legend,

Onionring9

+1

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
Between the 2 collections:

Congrats to onionring9...his collection is amazing considering how highly sought after McGwire's stuff was (is?). His website with help of other looney McGwire collectors is a valuable resource and collection of like minded die hard collectors!

The Gomes collector has a good Game Used collection, but the overall scope of it just doesn't do it for me. If a GU Auto batting glove goes unsold for $30, then the collection falls under an "excellent budget collection".

---

There are other collections that were not part of this contest that could easily give anyone a run for their money.

IMO, the collections that have stood the test of time IMO are The RyanL24 collections, LJ collection, Bonderman Collection (up to 2008 or so) and Mark Brunell Collection.

For the obscure player collectors try Matt Ware and Amos Zereoue.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
jaderock said:

Congrats to onionring9...his collection is amazing considering how highly sought after McGwire's stuff was (is?). His website with help of other looney McGwire collectors is a valuable resource and collection of like minded die hard collectors!

The Gomes collector has a good Game Used collection, but the overall scope of it just doesn't do it for me. If a GU Auto batting glove goes unsold for $30, then the collection falls under an "excellent budget collection".

---

There are other collections that were not part of this contest that could easily give anyone a run for their money.

IMO, the collections that have stood the test of time IMO are The RyanL24 collections, LJ collection, Bonderman Collection (up to 2008 or so) and Mark Brunell Collection.

:?

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
docdw25 said:
jaderock said:

---

:?

Just about every sentence there made me wince.

Members online

No members online now.