Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yanks start changes, fire pitching coach Eiland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
From ESPN,

NEW YORK -- In the wake of the disappointing end to New York's season, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has fired pitching coach Dave Eiland.

"I'm not going into any detail about what the reasons were," Cashman said on Monday.

Cashman said it had nothing to do with how poorly the Yankees pitched in the American League Championship Series, where they were eliminated by the Texas Rangers in six games. Cashman termed the decision a "private" one.

Toward the end of the first half, Eiland missed nearly a month with an undisclosed personal problem. Eiland's absence coincided with the downfall of A.J. Burnett's season.

Cashman said he thinks Eiland will get another job in the majors as a pitching coach.

"Dave spent his entire coaching career with the Yankees organization, and there is little doubt the impact he had on a great number of pitchers during his tenure," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said in a statement. "He was a passionate and knowledgeable pitching coach on the major league level, and he played a valuable role in our team's achievements in recent years. I wish him continued success moving forward as his baseball career continues to evolve."

Cashman said is planning to start negotiations on a new contract with the agent for Girardi on Tuesday. The plan is to sign Girardi, and then the Yankees will figure out who will replace Eiland.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Be8el0ve said:
From ESPN,

NEW YORK -- In the wake of the disappointing end to New York's season, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has fired pitching coach Dave Eiland.

"I'm not going into any detail about what the reasons were," Cashman said on Monday.

Cashman said it had nothing to do with how poorly the Yankees pitched in the American League Championship Series, where they were eliminated by the Texas Rangers in six games. Cashman termed the decision a "private" one.

Toward the end of the first half, Eiland missed nearly a month with an undisclosed personal problem. Eiland's absence coincided with the downfall of A.J. Burnett's season.

Cashman said he thinks Eiland will get another job in the majors as a pitching coach.

"Dave spent his entire coaching career with the Yankees organization, and there is little doubt the impact he had on a great number of pitchers during his tenure," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said in a statement. "He was a passionate and knowledgeable pitching coach on the major league level, and he played a valuable role in our team's achievements in recent years. I wish him continued success moving forward as his baseball career continues to evolve."

Cashman said is planning to start negotiations on a new contract with the agent for Girardi on Tuesday. The plan is to sign Girardi, and then the Yankees will figure out who will replace Eiland.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(I'm referring to the last line when I say that)

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I wonder if Eiland contacted the Red Sox about their opening and that pissed the Yankees off and they canned him for it. Just thinking out loud here.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
rebelpawn said:
I wonder if Eiland contacted the Red Sox about their opening and that pissed the Yankees off and they canned him for it. Just thinking out loud here.

Probably thinking right about it also, I have my reservations about signing Girardi also. He as the manager could of stepped up at some point with A.J but didnt. If George was alive and in charge, You think he would be blaming Eiland?

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
rebelpawn said:

He took off for a month in the middle of the season and nobody knows why outside the Yankee front office. Sure that had something to do with the "private" decision to fire him

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
theplasticman said:
Yeah cuz it's his fault AJ has no control :lol:

Seriously. At a certain point, a coach has no control over a "head-case" player like Burnett.

Girardi should have been the first to go.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I love my Yanks to death, but this was not the answer. The Yanks made it to game 6 of the ALCS for crying out loud. It is not the coaches' fault that Burnett and the rest of the staff blew!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I have heard that this could have something to do with it.

burnett56787987678.jpg

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
I have heard that this could have something to do with it.

burnett56787987678.jpg
What is the "this"? Looking like a homeless bum?

This. burnett46578978765.jpg

Pure rumor and speculation, however, some think Burnett and Eiland may have been together while the event that caused the black eye took place.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Thanks for the clear up.

Still looks like a homeless bum tho and the shiner doesn't help his cause.

Staff online

Latest posts