Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another "Big Announcement" From UFC/Dana Thursday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Guesses on what it could be? I'm thinking either they've finally landed a network deal or they're going to announce Cain vs. JDS PPV in Mexico.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
So Cain would get to fight at home vs Brock and then have a crowd 99% in his favor for his first title defense?

Makes sense Dana.

Some serious disrespect going on in the UFC lately.

What was up with Gonzaga entering the cage before Schaub the other night. Some BS there.

God I think I will stick in some pride DVDs tonight for how it should be done.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
AMEN.

I went to the Deep 50 event the other day and remembered what makes MMA so great.

Etanju

Jun 28, 2010
I am going to say either A. There a moving all the WEC LW into the UFC or B. Dana has changed his mind and Sheilds is going to have to prove himself more than he did Saturday to get a title fight.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
JzWand said:
So Cain would get to fight at home vs Brock and then have a crowd 99% in his favor for his first title defense?

Makes sense Dana.

What was up with Gonzaga entering the cage before Schaub the other night. Some BS there.

I never really watched Pride when it was popular but I watch any DVD I can get my hands on. They had phenomenal fighters in their prime. Why did they go bankrupt?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
Guesses on what it could be? I'm thinking either they've finally landed a network deal or they're going to announce Cain vs. JDS PPV in Mexico.

I'm guessing the UFC got a deal done to air on Fox or CBS...This was brought up Monday & stated that there are deals in the works (so he couldn't really shed any light on the details until it's done). So I'm guessing it's going to be on a primetime network & hope it's not on some cable station I don't currently pay for (as I'd have to subscribe to whatever station the UFC airs on). :D

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
kdailey4315 said:
JzWand said:

Makes sense Dana.

I never really watched Pride when it was popular but I watch any DVD I can get my hands on. They had phenomenal fighters in their prime. Why did they go bankrupt?

I am sure Ty can attest to this, but it was well known that Pride had very strong ties to the yakuza.
A few years prior to their demise, the President hung himself in a hotel room and I think in maybe 05 or 06 they lost their major TV deal (I think it was Fuji TV or something).

They were known to pay MUCH better than the UFC for star fighters and guys who were hugely popular with the japanese crowds like Sapp (even though he sucks) and Saku didnt come cheap!

They were obviously doing something right though when you can pack 60-70K to watch MMA.

They IMO personified most of what MMA is. At least much more than what the UFC does.
Sure you had some freakshows, but guys wouldnt stall after a failed TD attempt because knees to the head on the ground were allowed and if you stalled period, yellow card (10% of your purse).

I would advise you to check out some interviews on youtube with Enson Inoue.
Hugely popular in Japan and also has some mob ties. And a damn good fighter in his day. Tough!
gives some great stories about the crazy behind the scenes stuff with not only pride, but K-1 and his former brother in law Kid Yamamoto!

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Pride lost their TV deal with Fuji TV, one of the biggest stations in Japan. As mentioned, they also had ties with the yakuza (Japanese mafia) which started all kinds of problems.
They really were the best mma organization we have seen yet. All these guys in their prime: Fedor, Nog, Mirko, Saku, etc. They always put on the perfect combination of freak shows, and dream matches resulting in consistant selling out of HUGE stadiums. I've been to about 15 Pride events live and every one was incredible. The entrances, huge fireworks displays, music, EVERYTHING just clicked and worked. Everything really went downhill since then. Its a shame.

Etanju

Jun 28, 2010
I guess ESPN already let the cat out of the bag. It is going to be the network deal. I was talking to Seanho earlier today though and I think maybe the UFC let this leak on purpose and they have another surprise up their sleeve to announce. I have a new guess to what it might be if it aint the network deal.

It is going to be that they are bringing back Tim Sylvia to fight Roy Nelson.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Thanks to Sam for making another post. ::facepalm::

[youtube:3buv3a4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCIWWLnJSN4[/youtube:3buv3a4g]

seanho2309

Aug 11, 2008
Cibolo, TX
Russ S. said:
Thanks to Sam for making another post. ::facepalm::

[youtube:q5x8pxdt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCIWWLnJSN4[/youtube:q5x8pxdt]

Etanju beat him to the punch. :D I will give it to him he called it. Okay...so now I am glad to see this. Some really good match-ups are now a reality.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
seanho2309 said:
5 min left and Etanju has predicted UFC/WEC merger beginning in 2011, he can't post from work.

Nice guess (or did you read it off one of the MMA sites that had this info on it before the "official" announcement?)... :lol:

seanho2309

Aug 11, 2008
Cibolo, TX
HoustonTeams4Me said:
seanho2309 said:
5 min left and Etanju has predicted UFC/WEC merger beginning in 2011, he can't post from work.

Nice guess (or did you read it off one of the MMA sites that had this info on it before the "official" announcement?)... :lol:

I posted for my boy who told me. I couldn't find any info anywhere myself. Ask him.

Etanju

Jun 28, 2010
HoustonTeams4Me said:
seanho2309 said:

I wish I had the info before hand. I don't get to surf all the cool websited like Seanho while I am at work. This base has tight restrictions on what can be viewed at work. That is why I called Seanho last minute to throw another prediction out. :D

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Etanju said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
seanho2309 said:

I wish I had the info before hand. I don't get to surf all the cool websited like Seanho while I am at work. This base has tight restrictions on what can be viewed at work. That is why I called Seanho last minute to throw another prediction out. :D

How do you see this affecting the WEC fighter's (in many ways these guy's were more exciting than that of alot of the lightweight's in the UFC)...Will the WEC guy's start fighting to "score points" so they don't lose & possibly get booted from the UFC or do you think many of them will keep the same mentality (for the most part the WEC didn't really cut fighter's, even on a losing streak so I'm wondering if that sense of job security kept the WEC guy's willing to put it all on the line & go for "exciting" instead of being cautious & trying to avoid the loss)...Thoughts? :D

Members online

Latest posts