Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay seller etiquette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Just curious, for all those mass eBay seller out there, how long do you give a buyer who doesn't pay before you turn it over to the Resolution Center with eBay?

Where can you define your terms as a seller that says if Payments aren't made with X days, the item will be relisted?

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
I generally contact the buyer after 7 days and if I get no response by day 10 I file a NPB. If the buyer contacts me and explains why/when they can make payment then I am usually pretty understanding and give them the chance to make good.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I think most will say 7-10 days is the 'standard' but I feel a seller can ask for payment in whatever time period they want. If it states in the item description 'item must be paid for within 72 hrs. or item will be relisted," then I would feel the bidder is agreeing to those terms by bidding in the first place. I ask for BIN/Best Offer payments within 48 hours, auctions within a week, in the description and most people comply. If payment is not received after a week, I'll manually send an invoice, if not paid with 72 hours of that, I will file NPB.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think there is a specific place to put that kind of info. It is generally just put in the description.

I don't think it matters much in the case of a dispute though. Ebay/Paypal dictates that you can't file a NPB until the 4th day, I believe, no matter what you put in there. Then you have to wait another set amount of days (3?) until you can escalate it.

Any time you wait after that would be up to you. But you can't put a "binding" clause in there, that paypal/ebay will honor, saying that payment must be made in 24 hours for example. You'll still have to wait till the 3rd or 4th day to file.

The only thing besides that would be the BIN Immediate Payment, which doesn't let you even win the item until you pay for it.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I have three different buyers on 4 items who are all passed 14-days on paying. I have sent multiple invoices. One of the buyers had a 0 feedback, so I wasn't too surprised for the NPB. But, the other two, both were at 100% with over 500+ feedback.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
In my expereinces, it is better to give them 5 or 7 days and just file the NPB. Usually that illicits a response out of them by them paying or telling you when they can pay. Or they ignore it and from there its easy to know you did the right thing.

I ususally re-send the invoice on day 5 and up it to a claim on day 7.

The one time I wrote somebody a kind note to remind them they paid promptly and then dropped 2 negs (2 items) saying I was rude when all I asked them was when they planned to pay. Ive had all of my NPBs who pay leave positive feedback after they got the item too.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Here's what I do:

1. Send invoice immediately after the sale.
2. If no payment in 3 days, I send 2nd invoice labeled "2nd invoice"
3. Four days after the auction ends, I file NPB. I do this because sometimes they overlook the regular invoices but this catches their eye. I typically explain that is the reason I am filing and I understand it's easy to miss other emails from time to time.

Most of the time I receive payment and everyone is happy in the end.

I prefer to start the process with PayPal as early as possible because some cards have short-time frames when they can be sold. I don't want to wait 14 days for someone to pay and then file a NPB. Their tardiness can cost me money.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Most of my buyers pay within the first couple days. Perhaps one in four pays later. I will resend an invoice after seven days and usually file the NPB after 10 days if I don't get a response.

As a buyer I am getting annoyed with sellers who do not state payment deadlines and then getting rather particular after a couple days; "When are you going to pay?" "It's been 72 hours". "This item will be relisted if payment not received by (day)", "I demand payments within x-time" (when x-time is not mentioned anywhere in the auction). I guess my 7800 feedback alone doesn't get the point across I pay for all my winning bids. If you demand a payment by a certain time after the auction then state so in the description otherwise there is seemingly an unwritten and generally followed guideline that buyers should pay within seven days. It is not uncommon for me to buy a bunch of stuff on a Monday or Tuesday and pay when my auctions end in a day or two or on payday Friday.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
bradical said:
I have three different buyers on 4 items who are all passed 14-days on paying. I have sent multiple invoices. One of the buyers had a 0 feedback, so I wasn't too surprised for the NPB. But, the other two, both were at 100% with over 500+ feedback.

That is way too long. Open the case, if that doesn't spur action in a day or two I'd relist, and count on the final value getting credited in the next 5-7 days...

Jason

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Send an invoice.
Wait.
File an NPB when possible (after 4 days).

That gives the buyer 7+ days to pay for an item and allows you the quickest turnaround should the buyer bail on the auction. It's more than enough time.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Send an invoice.
Wait.
File an NPB when possible (after 4 days).

That gives the buyer 7+ days to pay for an item and allows you the quickest turnaround should the buyer bail on the auction. It's more than enough time.

Bingo!

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
On day 6 I send a reminder that payment is due by the end of day 7. If I do not have payment or a response from the seller, I open the claim on day 8.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
A reminder is really nice, I don't see why more sellers don't try that. I get really busy, and when I see an item I know I want I put a snipe on it right away. Sometimes when I win the item 6 days later I don't realize that I won... and then I need a friendly reminder to go ahead and pay. :D And then I pay. :D

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Usually day 6 or 7 I'll send a message and two days later, I'll open a NPB claim. If they pay, I'll ship just as quickly as any other transaction and thank them for their purchase, but I won't leave feedback... since the only feedback for a seller to leave is positive, and clearly they didn't hold their side of the bargain within a very reasonable time frame, so why reward him with a positive feedback.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
RL24 said:
A reminder is really nice, I don't see why more sellers don't try that. I get really busy, and when I see an item I know I want I put a snipe on it right away. Sometimes when I win the item 6 days later I don't realize that I won... and then I need a friendly reminder to go ahead and pay. :D And then I pay. :D

I find this really hard to believe when I get this response from a buyer. I would definite eye roll this response if given to me in person. If you win an item, you shouldn't have to be reminded to pay for it multiple times. Log into eBay once in awhile, it'll tell you on the My eBay page everything you need to do with your account. Pay, ship, leave feedback, etc. Everything on eBay is geared towards the buyer already, the least that sellers should be able to expect is getting paid in a somewhat timely basis.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm taking one step to remind the buyer...a non-paying bidder form. If it exceeds the limit...I'll ding them, if they pay, they get the item.

This is the one thing that seller's can actually control in the slightest and penalize buyers...so I use it.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Joshua.Roundtree said:
RL24 said:

I find this really hard to believe when I get this response from a buyer. I would definite eye roll this response if given to me in person. If you win an item, you shouldn't have to be reminded to pay for it multiple times. Log into eBay once in awhile, it'll tell you on the My eBay page everything you need to do with your account. Pay, ship, leave feedback, etc. Everything on eBay is geared towards the buyer already, the least that sellers should be able to expect is getting paid in a somewhat timely basis.
Agree.

Ive bought some stuff and forgot about it (only 2 times ever) and when I got the NPB email I definitely took immediate action. When they don't respond within a day or so of the NBP its safe to say that they wont ever.

I think having a week to pay is absolutely fair (Thus starting a claim on day 4). If you don't have the money to buy it on the day it ends why are you bidding?

The friendly reminder works about 10% of the time. THe other 90% are douches who will ignore the NPB notice as well.

Latest posts