Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Surprised these are going so cheap..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm amazed at the price these cards are going for. If I had more funds available I would definitely snag one, and this is coming from a guy who pretty much only does RC/RC Auto's. Game-used bat barrel auto'd for these prices?

Am I wrong? Is the $130 or so they are getting not a good deal? I'm not an expert, but it's surprising to me.

1a3a_1.jpg

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I usually look forward to Ultimate every year, but the overall design turned me off this year.

This is the first year since 04 that I havn't bought cases. I personally dislike the auto on jersey swatches, and auto on bat pieces. That is why I never bought any Etchings of whatever it was called. If others are the same as me, maybe thats why the prices are down.

Now if the jersey's or bat's on there were GU, they would be going for alot higher. Nonethless some just don't buy cards if they are ugly. In my opinion 08 Ultimate is just really ugly.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
wolfmanalfredo said:
I usually look forward to Ultimate every year, but the overall design turned me off this year.

This is the first year since 04 that I havn't bought cases. I personally dislike the auto on jersey swatches, and auto on bat pieces. That is why I never bought any Etchings of whatever it was called. If others are the same as me, maybe thats why the prices are down.

Now if the jersey's or bat's on there were GU, they would be going for alot higher. Nonethless some just don't buy cards if they are ugly. In my opinion 08 Ultimate is just really ugly.
My understanding was that they are game-used:

e4eb_1.jpg

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
No one should be surprised that anything is going cheap; no one has any money to spend on cards. EVERYTHING is cheap, EVERYTHING is a "steal", and any seller selling anything right now knows they'll be taking a loss compared to what they could get in the future, but we all need money now.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Isn't there more of them than the usual "barrel auto"? For example the one shown in this thread is #d/99, aren't the usual bat barrel auto's #d/10 or so (I'm not into this type of stuff so I'm not an expert, I just have a vague memory that these are usually more rare as far as numbering goes)?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Isn't there more of them than the usual "barrel auto"? For example the one shown in this thread is #d/99, aren't the usual bat barrel auto's #d/10 or so (I'm not into this type of stuff so I'm not an expert, I just have a vague memory that these are usually more rare as far as numbering goes)?
It's true that no set has really put out to many of these, but there's no reason why one bat couldn't provide more than 99 of these barrels. I've read you can get 1000+ bat pieces from a bat. Even if each of these is the size of 4, and you can't use the thinner part of the bat, there's still plenty left.

Says game-used right there on the front of the jersey/pants versions.

3cf2_1.jpg

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I think it's cheap, but not cheap enough for me to buy. not a fan of the design + I think the market's simply flooded w/products right now (razor, ee, bcdp, sterling- and that's just prospect stuff) + add in ultimate, topps sterling, prime cuts (+ other sports) ALL coming out in dec/holidays, it just seems like BAD timing on the card cos' parts. not everyone's hurting for $ right now, but I think people have become way more selective.

now if you're a collector or guy looking to make a flip, maybe this is a good card to buy. however, if you sell cards as a business +/or set up @ shows +/or bust a lot of cases +/or grade a lot, well, there's better investments for your $ imo.

i love these cards. I need to get the longoria auto jersey card. I don't buy anything besides mcgwire and ray lewis stuff but when i saw this jeter i had to have it. Card of the year nominee for me, and i hate the yankees, but im a huge Jeter fan....like i said, they are even better in person...

jeter.jpg

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I just picked this up tonight(2 pin stripeds and Tulo's jersey number) for $37.
tuloautojersey2.jpg

Also, I believe the autographs that aren't on game-used pieces are on card...

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
JEA2880 said:
No one should be surprised that anything is going cheap; no one has any money to spend on cards. EVERYTHING is cheap, EVERYTHING is a "steal", and any seller selling anything right now knows they'll be taking a loss compared to what they could get in the future, but we all need money now.

This is true, if I sell right now I won't get as much, but I want to sell now because I need money right now because stuff is so damn cheap!

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
I love the GU bat barrel slice autos...I'm considering trying the set, but I'd have to take a break from prime cuts to do so which may not be a bad idea as I am getting limited on cards that I want from it (still need to pick up patches for Murray, J. F. and B Robinson and possibly Mantle)...I also love the multi-patch autos, but they are going for crazy amounts.

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
Big Mac McGwire said:
Dpanthers14 said:
what are you saying the others aren't gu why would they put them in the product if the patches and stuff weren't?

he wanted to know why the cards that have the bat barrells are not black. It is because those parts of the bat are the inside part.

Yeah...they're barrel slices.

Members online