Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tried my hand at making a custom...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
This is probably the only one I will make, unless I make some for a team or something...

It's the best I could manage in Paint.

Picture1104.jpg

I didn't have an xacto handy, so I couldn't get the window right...

Back:
Picture1105.jpg

It looks like the front is over-lapping, but it is just the scan.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
You gotta start somewhere.

My first few were horrible. But you will get better with practice. Let me know if you need any advice/help.

These are 2 of my favorites
robinson_jsabgs.jpg

unitas_jsabgs.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Yeah those are nice! I figure I will end up making some during the summer, because last year, the NWL team here only released about 200 team sets as a promo, and MANY less than that were signed. I might make my own team sets and have them signed and I wanna get the design down now. I might do them as cuts, or as on cards (IF I decide too, it is REALLY awkward asking these guys to sign stuff for me... I shoulda done it last year though ::facepalm:: )

Not many questions now, just what program do you use?

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
TBTwinsFan said:
Yeah those are nice! I figure I will end up making some during the summer, because last year, the NWL team here only released about 200 team sets as a promo, and MANY less than that were signed. I might make my own team sets and have them signed and I wanna get the design down now. I might do them as cuts, or as on cards (IF I decide too, it is REALLY awkward asking these guys to sign stuff for me... I shoulda done it last year though ::facepalm:: )

Adobe Photoshop CS4, but thats probably a $700 program. Though I probably only use 3% of what its capable of doing.
I usually recommend Photoshop Elements. Though someone else may be able to recommended something even cheaper and just as effective.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
alifaxwa2 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Adobe Photoshop CS4, but thats probably a $700 program. Though I probably only use 3% of what its capable of doing.
I usually recommend Photoshop Elements. Though someone else may be able to recommended something even cheaper and just as effective.

Yeah, I will go ahead and look at those. I am really itching to play around with those today. I actually made one with the same design for a local politician (some of his ads have Facsimiles on them, and I have a couple. Good for practicing with.) but didn't have any ads handy to finish the customs.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Cut autos of living people are lame - just ask around and the majority will agree. :p

But seriously, stick with it. You just get better from practice. Using something like GIMP would also help you to do more. I've yet to go through with the actual assembly of a cut, but I have designed a few using PaintShop Pro. I haven't done it yet just because I don't have the steady hand and eye to cut the windows by hand, and I don't have the equipment to do it for me.

Dual-JamesandJames.png
Dual-MossandOlsen.png

JohnsonAndre-jsy2.png
NicholsonJack-CuckoosNest.png

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Card Magnet said:
Cut autos of living people are lame - just ask around and the majority will agree. :p

But seriously, stick with it. You just get better from practice. Using something like GIMP would also help you to do more. I've yet to go through with the actual assembly of a cut, but I have designed a few using PaintShop Pro. I haven't done it yet just because I don't have the steady hand and eye to cut the windows by hand, and I don't have the equipment to do it for me.

Dual-JamesandJames.png
Dual-MossandOlsen.png

JohnsonAndre-jsy2.png
NicholsonJack-CuckoosNest.png

Those are pretty cool!

Cuts of living people, especially non-HOF are just ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

I like your logo too! Very cool!

I will keep working at it, hopefully I can get some nice ones!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Anything with a cut window...do a bunch of dry runs until you "nail it."

Also, some people will build and cut the card down to size and then glue it, I do not. I build the card at 3" x 4" and then trim .25" off of each border with printed crop marks. That will give you a smooth, consistent edge. And when I saw "crop marks" I don't mean a full line running the actual card size, I mean corner crops that are offset from the actual final card area.

Members online

Latest posts