Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Has The Brighter Future?

Who Has The Brighter Future?

• Elvis Andrus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think this is a really close call. Let's hear comments!!!

I thought of this as the Brewers list from BA was posted today.....

Discuss...

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I like both, but I think Andrus will end up a better overall offensive player while playing abover average defense. Escobar could be Tony Fernandez-esque.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok....I realize that defense is king there, but I have also heard Gold Glove comparisons from both BP and BA touting Andrus' fielding. Don't get me wrong, you guys know how much I love my Brewers, but honestly....

I voted...

Andrus.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
cgilmo said:
isn't andrus a horrid fielder?

32 errors at SS last year :shock:

I voted Alcides.

I think he develops more power. With plus power (for SS), good speed, great defense, he was easily my choice.

Now, if Andrus spent one more year in the minors....maybe I'd sing a different tune (but he HAS to lose those errors....32 is ghastly).

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Anthony K. said:
cgilmo said:

I voted Alcides.

I think he develops more power. With plus power (for SS), good speed, great defense, he was easily my choice.

Now, if Andrus spent one more year in the minors....maybe I'd sing a different tune (but he HAS to lose those errors....32 is ghastly).

Escobar had 41 in 2005 when he was 18 in the Sally League.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Brett Keith said:
[quote="Anthony K.":2fxp1484]
cgilmo said:

I voted Alcides.

Escobar had 41 in 2005 when he was 18 in the Sally League.[/quote:2fxp1484]

...and half that every year since.
2004 - 20

2006 - 21
2007 - 21
2008 - 20 (this was in 125 games)

If he were to make 20 errors over a MLB season, with his ability to hit, I'll take that over Andrus any day of the week.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
Brett Keith said:
[quote="Anthony K.":zl07ra80]
cgilmo said:

I voted Alcides.

2004 - 20

2006 - 21
2007 - 21

If he were to make 20 errors over a MLB season, with his ability to hit, I'll take that over Andrus any day of the week.[/quote:zl07ra80]

Well my point is that Escobar put up huge error totals at a young age, but then his defensive tools turned into skills. This is what I believe will happen with Andrus, although I don't think he'll be as highly touted with the glove as Escobar. Escobar certainly did a great deal to further prove himself as a hitter, but I don't think he'll be that great at the plate, except maybe AVG. Like I said, I think his upside is probably Tony Fernandez or slightly better. I think Andrus will have more pop and will steal more bases.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
Ok....I realize that defense is king there, but I have also heard Gold Glove comparisons from both BP and BA touting Andrus' fielding. Don't get me wrong, you guys know how much I love my Brewers, but honestly....

I voted...

Andrus.

and I hereby vote to petition you out of the official Brewer prospector club. Booooooo.
Offensively, Alcides has shown signs of power here and there, which is the last tool to develop for many guys, especially guys like him. While I have no fantasies about him being a homerun guy, I think it's possible for him to gain Hardy type power. Even if he doesn't, he's no slouch with the bat, and his defense can't be touched. He's a wizard out there. Yep, I said WIZARD, as in OZ. They call him inspector gadget for his go-go-gadget glove.
If you come down to spring training, I'm going to punch you just for making this thread.
Edit- I in no way meant to sound like Alcides could be a powerful bat, I'm just saying it will keep pace just fine, and his defense is ridiculous. redonkulous. recockulous. You should come out to Spring Training to see for yourself. (and get punched.)

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Brett Keith said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":3bsbohlh][quote="Anthony K.":3bsbohlh]
cgilmo said:

I voted Alcides.

2004 - 20

2006 - 21
2007 - 21

If he were to make 20 errors over a MLB season, with his ability to hit, I'll take that over Andrus any day of the week.[/quote:3bsbohlh]

Well my point is that Escobar put up huge error totals at a young age, but then his defensive tools turned into skills. This is what I believe will happen with Andrus, although I don't think he'll be as highly touted with the glove as Escobar. Escobar certainly did a great deal to further prove himself as a hitter, but I don't think he'll be that great at the plate, except maybe AVG. Like I said, I think his upside is probably Tony Fernandez or slightly better. I think Andrus will have more pop and will steal more bases.[/quote:3bsbohlh]

I have to disagree with that about Andrus. He hasn't shown any progression over the years with the glove, and in fact, it has been as steady as can be. Last season was his worst overall.

2005 - 13 (46 games)
2006 - 32 (106 games)
2007 - 31 (125 games)
2008 - 32 (109 games)

He also hasn't hit more than 4 HR's in any season of his career. Alcides had 8 HR's last year.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
Brett Keith said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":y9w3l91d][quote="Anthony K.":y9w3l91d]
cgilmo said:

I voted Alcides.

2004 - 20

2006 - 21
2007 - 21

If he were to make 20 errors over a MLB season, with his ability to hit, I'll take that over Andrus any day of the week.

Well my point is that Escobar put up huge error totals at a young age, but then his defensive tools turned into skills. This is what I believe will happen with Andrus, although I don't think he'll be as highly touted with the glove as Escobar. Escobar certainly did a great deal to further prove himself as a hitter, but I don't think he'll be that great at the plate, except maybe AVG. Like I said, I think his upside is probably Tony Fernandez or slightly better. I think Andrus will have more pop and will steal more bases.[/quote:y9w3l91d]

I have to disagree with that about Andrus. He hasn't shown any progression over the years with the glove, and in fact, it has been as steady as can be. Last season was his worst overall.

2005 - 13 (46 games)
2006 - 32 (106 games)
2007 - 31 (125 games)
2008 - 32 (109 games)

He also hasn't hit more than 4 HR's in any season of his career. Alcides had 8 HR's last year.[/quote:y9w3l91d]

Well I didn't say he's great now, I said I think he will be, he's only recently turned 20. When someone is so ahead of the curve, I'm going to cut them some slack. As far as the HR's, Escobar was 21 last year, Andrus was 19, both in AA. Escobar's HR total topped his career total, so he hasn't exactly shown consistant pop. I believe Andrus will show more power.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
zookerman182 said:
Ozzie Smith, Omaz Vizquel, Alcides Escobar......

but seriously Escobar is not done growing and he is a web gem per game type fielder. Alcides hands down.

ozzie smith and omar vizquel are nothing like Alcides Escobar

different packages, completely different body styles.

heh, i just traced your IP, and sure enough you are from huntsville, so I take it you go to stars games.

Do you not see the big frame that Alcides has? hes got the potential to hit for a bunch of power.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Error totals really don't tell you much about how good of a fielder someone is. There's much, much more to it then that. Comparing minor league error totals is like comparing minor league RBI totals, neither tells you very much. Both of these guys are good fielders, Escobar is probably a little better now but Andrus has the tools to be just as good once he develops a little more. I really see them both as being pretty equal. Escobar is probably a little more advanced at the plate now but Andrus is younger and has all the tools to be a good hitter, I think he'll end up being the better hitter. I'll say they're pretty equal overall.

Members online