Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collecting 90s inserts is way too daunting and expensive:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
In the last year or so, I bought about 40 Griffey inserts, most of those issued in the 1:36 range. But especially after last night it seems the prices on his rarer stuff is exploding, and there's way more stuff than I realized. I just can't keeping plopping down $3-15 per card when you consider there's at least a few hundred of these babies. I also considered other players instead like Thomas, McGwire, Bonds but even those guys still have pricey stuff. At this rate I would be relegated to collecting Albert Belle or Juan Gonzalez or someone with hardly any inserts like Edgar Martinez; but what fun is that? Those cards sure look nice though, especially those Ultra, Pinnacle, and Stadium Club cards from 1995 onwards.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
collecting anyone that has over 15000 recognized cards is a daunting task to begin with.. let alone a star player who's rarer inserts will just be unobtainable to someone who doesn't have the really deep pockets.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
You could almost compare the rare inserts with vintage high #s. They can be expensive but worth the effort when you are finished. If you already have that many then enjoy them and try to pick up others as often as you can. Don't get discouraged, if it was easy it would be like 1987 again and you could have every set just by buying the factory set.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
It sounds like you're not necessarily set on one player, so why not just chase the inserts you like and can afford, regardless of player? I bet without a whole lot of trouble you could find some absolute steals and build a nice collection.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
FLOUR said:
In the last year or so, I bought about 40 Griffey inserts, most of those issued in the 1:36 range. But especially after last night it seems the prices on his rarer stuff is exploding, and there's way more stuff than I realized. I just can't keeping plopping down $3-15 per card when you consider there's at least a few hundred of these babies. I also considered other players instead like Thomas, McGwire, Bonds but even those guys still have pricey stuff. At this rate I would be relegated to collecting Albert Belle or Juan Gonzalez or someone with hardly any inserts like Edgar Martinez; but what fun is that? Those cards sure look nice though, especially those Ultra, Pinnacle, and Stadium Club cards from 1995 onwards.

I'm sure I know the auctions you are referring too ;)

Luckily, I landed some that I wanted cheap and the primary card I wanted went for more then I would have thought (but it was also the first time I had seen it, though I never actively looked for it). Griffey, ARod, Jeter, Piazza, Ripken, McGwire, Thomas.....those 90's behemoths always get max value for their 90's inserts, almost regardless of set.

Just keep on fightin' the fight and realize you may just have to grab some of the older inserts later or for a little more. As for there being 100's out there and having to pay $3 or more to get them, let's just remember how many of those hundreds are probably tucked away in closets, basements or other people's collections that will NEVER see the light of eBay.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Even though I have a ton of stuff of my #1 guy--Gary Gaetti--the 90's stuff of him that eludes me are those stupid Pacific parallels. I'm pretty covered in the 80's and early 90's, but for late 90's those parallels drive me crazy. When he's considered a common, they don't show up often, unlike a guy like Griffey whose stuff is readily available. Juan Gonzalez is a good guy to go with.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I will whole heartedly agree that 90's inserts are fantastic, but I didnt think so many were pricey. I thought just the Crusades were. I have a few hundred inserts that I listed last year and I think one or two sold. I dont know if I did not listing them correctly or what, but I cant sell mine at all (I mean players like Griffey, Ripken, ARod, Jeter, McGwire, to name a few)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Ahhhh yes. The Player collector. Player collectors do just that – they collect a player. Once considered a separate family from the true collectors, they have thicker front legs and tend to be stockier than their much maligned cousins. Player collectors sit motionless on chairs, waiting for an insert or rare pin or coin to become available. When one does, the Player collector pounces quickly, grabbing the prey in its strong front legs. Some Player collectors even look a bit like the cards they collect. Luring, cunning and sly... The ones without patience slowly shrivel up inside, it's insides being decomposed into a withering mist of flesh, until it slowly loses consciousness, dying in the same chair where it once thrived.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
Ahhhh yes. The Player collector. Player collectors do just that – they collect a player. Once considered a separate family from the true collectors, they have thicker front legs and tend to be stockier than their much maligned cousins. Player collectors sit motionless on chairs, waiting for an insert or rare pin or coin to become available. When one does, the Player collector pounces quickly, grabbing the prey in its strong front legs. Some Player collectors even look a bit like the cards they collect. Luring, cunning and sly... The ones without patience slowly shrivel up inside, it's insides being decomposed into a withering mist of flesh, until it slowly loses consciousness, dying in the same chair where it once thrived.

Honestly...one of the best posts that I have read in a long time. You sir have been THANKED!!!

What would that make me? Though. I was a player collector and set builder, but I also like to collect superstar autos and some vintage. So I guess I collected a little of everything at one point.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I see a couple of posts above mentioning Juan Gonazalez as a player to collect. Surprised a couple of the big Juan fans haven't defended that idea yet. He has as loyal of a fanbase as any player, they have their own website, juangone.com that is just overwhelming.

He could get crazy expensive to collect and there is a lot of competition for the elite stuff. I'd try another player, he definitely has some deep pocket, big spending fans.

Maybe we can come up with another player to collect that doesn't have quite the following. How about Pedro Martinez? Roger Clemens fans have taken a dive in recent years too. Maybe Gary Sheffield? Paul Molitor? Randy Johnson? Joe Carter? Matt Williams? Big names, but not a lot of big player collectors seeking them out

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i collect the hard to find 90s McGriff stuff.

as others have said, its a marathon, not a sprint. you cant have everything. enjoy what you DO have!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
mannyramirezcollec said:
Jim Thome cards are stupid cheap for someone with 500+ HRs. One of his 90's 1/1's went for like 40.00 a few months back

+1

Thome is very underrated and his stuff is relatively inexpensive. One of the biggest Thome collectors unloaded his collection a year or so ago, so one of your biggest competitors would be gone. I completely forgot about him.

I also agree within thosebackpages. It's definitely a marathon. I've collected Clark since 1989, so finding a card I've looked for years is a good feeling. Just this year, I picked up the 1990 Score Promo, 20 years of searching :)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:

Post of the week. You have been thanked, sir.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Bagwell seems to get more expensive every year. And since I am one of those collector's who bowed out during the mid 90's...I constantly find myself looking for and wanting to collect more of his 90's stuff than anything. Sadly I pay way more for 90's stuff than any other types of cards. But they are the coolest looking cards. But I have had to let a lot go because of funds. And it definitely is a marathon.

Members online