Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My new #1 favorite card has come home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
:D

2008 Topps Platinum Chase Utley 1/1

5147483437_67ddf223cc.jpg

As a player collector, I'm of the opinion that the Topps base set 1/1 is the greatest of all cards. We all grew up with Topps, so that carries weight. The shear amount of luck it takes for the card to be pulled, recognized for it's significance, and for it to get to a player collector is very high. All the different products, sets, inserts....ect that all have "1/1's"can get defeating even for the craziest of player collectors......

2008 was a great year for Utley and of course for the Phillies. I returned to cards in 07 and fell in love with the 08 design and therefore, this is the last card that I would ever part with. I'd like to have it graded for protection reasons but I'd be afraid to mail it out :oops:

A short story on how I got this. It popped up for auction 3 weeks ago, got outsniped (I was watching this and was shocked I lost it) and was pretty upset I let this card get away from me. The winner was a 0 feedback dude that just so happened to win like 15 cards in the last day....hmmmmm. So I uncharacteristically emailed the seller and said if the guy does not pay, I'll buy it. This Sunday the seller emails me and tells me the buyer of course never paid and the card is mine, he sends me a second chance offer. Here's the awesome part. He can only put it through for the sale price, so he refunds me the $20 that the 0 feedback clown shilled me up. That is one hell of an honest seller. scc-omaha, Bradical's local LCS. Really can't thank this guy enough for being so quick, easy and honest. See? There are guys in the hobby still like that. Thanks again Rick.

Lotta typing there, sorry :lol: So pumped on this one

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Congrats!

I've never even seen a Zimm Platinum anywhere. I'd like to get one someday.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Great story all around! Nice to hear of a player collector getting a great card, not to mention the positive eBay experience. I guess you could say thank God for nonpaying eBay clowns!

As for grading, don't some companies offer in-person drop-off at the bigger shows?

Congrats on the card!

- R.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Great find! Can you please post a scan of the reverse? I've never seen one thanks!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Here's the alternate ending for that story:

Lance doesn't contact the Seller, the Seller waits for payment, gets so frustrated with the whole runaround, waiting for ebay charges to reverse, he shoves unknowingly the card in a random box of commons out of anger, and there it sits... never to be seen again.

Congrats, Lance! Great story! I am glad to hear great ending like yours! Very sweet card!

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Awesome card Lance.

Just one of these days, I would love to land an Astros platinum 1/1. It's been a long wait so far, but I am determined to keep waiting until I land one.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Can't go wrong there :) Now you need to find ones from the other years!

These have been getting more action lately, particularly from dealers looking for cards to put in their eBay stores and from a couple of idiots as you pointed out.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Lancemountain said:
That is one hell of an honest seller. scc-omaha, Bradical's local LCS. Really can't thank this guy enough for being so quick, easy and honest. See? There are guys in the hobby still like that. Thanks again Rick.

Great story about a great guy! I will be sure to tell him about the good pub!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
'08 Topps is one of my favorite designs, it will be hard pressed for them to come up with a nicer design.I bought my first Topps platinum earlier in the year, but they changed the stamping on the back this year.It's not stamped in gold anymore.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks guys for the comments!

TBP- It ended up being $110.

Unique- I actually thought about you while I posted this as your sig has many 1/1's that I consider being pretty awesome due to the set they came from. I actually have the '10 platinum too (in my sig) but this one is so much better for baseball reasons

Warren- here's the back:

5150147237_0c161e0962.jpg

Brouthercard- My old favorite was this: Awesome card :lol: But I love this platinum more than anything.
Utley-badass1.jpg

Bradical- Tell Rick he deserves the pub, what an honest fellow. This card found it's proper home :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts